#708 - “Word for Word”

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
woozy

Post by woozy »

Joe Ross wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 10:57 am

You ... converted a piano into a display case?
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
stmv

Post by stmv »

This was one where at first I had zero idea of what to do, and then ...very... slowly a few beams of light started creeping in, some vague sense of "that couldn't be a coincidence", more and more detail getting revealed, and then a sudden big bang of recognition and rush of accomplishment when the rabbit hole I was pursuing all day suddenly opened up into a glorious solution. I've submitted, probably too late for an update tonight, but as Majordomotom said, it's a 100 percenter when you see it, so I'll sleep well tonight.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

woozy wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 12:08 am
Joe Ross wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 10:57 am

You ... converted a piano into a display case?
@MattGaffney might have, although it looks like a standard glass-front secretary desk. I simply posted the picture he previously had of his beautiful children on his website.
woozy

Post by woozy »

stmv wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 12:10 am This was one where at first I had zero idea of what to do, and then ...very... slowly a few beams of light started creeping in, some vague sense of "that couldn't be a coincidence", more and more detail getting revealed, and then a sudden big bang of recognition and rush of accomplishment when the rabbit hole I was pursuing all day suddenly opened up into a glorious solution. I've submitted, probably too late for an update tonight, but as Majordomotom said, it's a 100 percenter when you see it, so I'll sleep well tonight.
I'm hoping it will be like that. But I'm not sure I have much time to work on it.

Can I use inability to concentrate because I'm thinking about metas as reason for jury duty dismissal?

(I guess I should be careful... I refuse to accept it as grounds for a divorce.)
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
ajs0031

Post by ajs0031 »

I am pretty sure I have figured out the first step but having trouble from there. Anyone willing to give a hint?
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

Beam me up.

Excellent puzzle!
KayW

Post by KayW »

The second delay gave me a shot at the Holly Jolly badge. Submitted, feel it's 100%
alien-and-christmas-tree-vector-3350071.jpg
EDIT: insta-confirmed
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
MikeM000

Post by MikeM000 »

While I *see things* in here and think I might have a line on solving this, I just want to point out that maybe the sign of watching too much Simpsons over the past 32 years is that I immediately filled in a different character at 66-A who definitely could have said that line and whose voice in my head seems to match that style of complaint better than the correct answer....
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

The Simpsons quote made me laugh, and this is an excellent puzzle indeed! This was one where at first, I was like, "There's no way I'm getting this - what in the world am I supposed to do???" and then, "Ahhh, okay. OHHHHH."

Fun one - hope we're having a great holiday season!

Mikey G
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 92. It's a Breeze
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

stmv wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 12:10 am This was one where at first I had zero idea of what to do, and then ...very... slowly a few beams of light started creeping in, some vague sense of "that couldn't be a coincidence", more and more detail getting revealed, and then a sudden big bang of recognition and rush of accomplishment when the rabbit hole I was pursuing all day suddenly opened up into a glorious solution. I've submitted, probably too late for an update tonight, but as Majordomotom said, it's a 100 percenter when you see it, so I'll sleep well tonight.
Step 1: Zero idea - CHECK
Step 2: A few beams of light - CHECK
Step 3: Vague sense of "That couldn't be a coincidence" - CHECK
Step 4: More and more detail getting revealed - Ummm... Maybe?
Step 5: Sudden big bang of recognition and rush of accomplishment - I WISH!!!
woozy

Post by woozy »

HunterX wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 2:22 pm

Check.
uh... not really.
wha? huh? NO!

Okay.... I've reached the stage of zero idea.... That's an accomplishment isn't it? It has to be if it is step 1, right? Otherwise it would be step 0.

So I'm 20% of the way there.
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

woozy wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 2:32 pm
HunterX wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 2:22 pm

Check.
uh... not really.
wha? huh? NO!

Okay.... I've reached the stage of zero idea.... That's an accomplishment isn't it? It has to be if it is step 1, right? Otherwise it would be step 0.

So I'm 20% of the way there.
The problem is, I have often followed the following pattern:

Step 2: A few beams of light- CHECK
Step 4: More and more detail getting revealed - CHECK
Step 5: Waste hours searching for more detail - IT'S JUST GOTTA WORK....
Step 6: Nothing ever comes of it - WHY DID I EVER TRY THIS?
Step 7: Go back to Step 1 - I NEED A DRINK...
Lather, rinse, repeat.
Schmeel

Post by Schmeel »

I had a breakthrough.
Beam me up!
patpatchica

Post by patpatchica »

Step 1: Ah, I see what I need to use.
Step 2-10: None of those mechanisms are working.
Step 11: Huh, was Step 1 even correct?
Step 12: Vacuum for a while. No sudden epiphany.
Step 13: Post here and beg for a nudge.

Edit: Beamed up after helpful nudges. Of course, I was overthinking it. It was really rather straightforward.
Last edited by patpatchica on Mon Dec 27, 2021 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Overthinking is my super power. 8-)
MikeM000

Post by MikeM000 »

Beamed at #142. I had a lot of ideas that were a few degrees off before I found the right one, plus my first one that turned out to just be a wild coincidence that went nowhere.

As was suggested last week, if no one minds I'll shoot to have a WSJ-12:01am-Monday-esque post in here at 12:01pm on Wednesday. Or is it Thursday this week? Whichever....
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Finally! Beam me up! (not confirmed, but this is a 100%er)
Heidi
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

Wow, that was a tough one indeed and a definite group solve. Thank you to my generous nudgers! Love our Muggle community.
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
cisalope

Post by cisalope »

On the board. PM me if you need a nudge, and I'd be happy to help. Let me know what you've noticed so far!
Jeremy Smith

Post by Jeremy Smith »

Awaiting beam-up. I’m not worried, though. 100% no doubt on my answer. I had the correct first step right away but, as usual, tried to take a more complicated route to the finish. Simplify! Simplify! :lol: :lol:
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

Beamed up, with a nudge telling me I was on the right path. Phew!