"Now That's a Gift!" - December 24, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Annabelle

Post by Annabelle »

Still afloat. Did get the past tenses of the key answers, but was looking for whole words in the grid for the present tenses. Sneaky, that Mike!
MikeM000

Post by MikeM000 »

The one rabbit hole I hit that I dug out of relatively quickly as there wasn't much rhyme or reason to it, was that the meta was tied into "Twas The Night Before Christmas" as some of the words in the asterisked grid entries are in the poem. Obviously I was thinking about an MGW from about a year ago when that idea crossed my mind.
JAQT

Post by JAQT »

When I posted my "ashore" comment, I was watching the Alistair Sim version of "A Christmas Carol". For a moment I considered starting a debate on which version people here liked the most. But then I realized "Wow, what a spoiler!" I would have been banned from the site.
JustAQuickThought
Kas

Post by Kas »

MikeM000 wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 11:38 am The one rabbit hole I hit that I dug out of relatively quickly as there wasn't much rhyme or reason to it, was that the meta was tied into "Twas The Night Before Christmas" as some of the words in the asterisked grid entries are in the poem. Obviously I was thinking about an MGW from about a year ago when that idea crossed my mind.
Yep, 42D sent me down a "12 nights of Christmas" rabbit hole, too. For which I suppose I should be grateful, because I've always felt I should be able to sing the whole thing (Partridge, Turtledoves, French Hens, Calling Birds, Gold Rings, Geese, Swans, Maids, Ladies, Lords, Pipers, Drummers...and I now know without question that none of them "were, spun, saw, went, drew, or laid." (Side note...what's with all the birds in that song?! If I had gotten a bird for christmas, I'd regift it...except the turkey--which I did get, and happily ate, but which bird is not in the song, oddly. But I digress...)

My other hiccup is that another present tense of "Saw" is "Spy," per *E*spy at 42D, which had me anagramming the wrong six letters for...a long time. But perhaps I was extra distracted with all the birds.
PQ63

Post by PQ63 »

Did anybody go down the Gift of Gab (WENTON) rabbit hole?
Jeanrosz

Post by Jeanrosz »

BarbaraK wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 10:48 am
Jeanrosz wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 8:57 am Anyone else having problems with fleeting image and getting the Monday crossword? Doesn’t want to download ….? Any other way to get across lite?
There was a comment on fiend about a website outage and temporary replacement

https://crosswordfiend.com/2021/12/26/m ... /#comments
Thanks for the heads up!
Barney

Post by Barney »

Richard wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 11:06 am
DianeA wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 7:29 am My first guess for the answer was "PRESENT", thinking it truly was the "gift" from 37A. Could it be that simple (and holiday friendly?)
But those pesky asterisks.
I too first thought "Present" but then why the asterisks. Without the asterisks I might have submitted "Present."

I thought this was an excellent meta. For me a nice aha moments when I saw the present past tense deal and then the missing letters. And not so difficult that it affected my holiday.
Has a grid entry EVER been the meta answer?
hoover

Post by hoover »

PQ63 wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 12:44 pm Did anybody go down the Gift of Gab (WENTON) rabbit hole?
Yes! And how it intersected beautifully with its mirror image NOT NEW.
Janet

Post by Janet »

What took me a while on this puzzle was that there was more than one possibility for the present tense. I had a couple wrong at first, then kept looking at the grid again to find the right ones.
Janet

Post by Janet »

hoover wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 2:11 pm
PQ63 wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 12:44 pm Did anybody go down the Gift of Gab (WENTON) rabbit hole?
That was an early rabbit hole for me.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Barney wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 1:58 pm Has a grid entry EVER been the meta answer?
February 3, 2017. But the prompt that week was, "the two grid entries that, when combined, would make a good sixth theme entry," so it wasn't just something in the grid that turned out to be the answer.

viewtopic.php?t=277#p12578
MaineMarge

Post by MaineMarge »

This puzzle was calling out for this photo- a mall Santa, a Maine setting , and a cat named Alice -and a Maine coon cat no less
3572B7BE-05C3-4A35-B450-97C7E466E839.jpeg
Alice comes with a great backstory. A sweet little old lady brought him (yes, HIM) to us as a starving stray in her neighborhood since she couldn’t afford to buy cat food for him. Best cat we’ve ever had among the 30+over the years. (May have you beat there, @DrTom ). He always ate at Alice’s Restaurant. That sweet old lady was named Alice.
No WONder there’s a tWINkle in Santa’s eye as he holds this gentle giant.

How well we remember those WONder tWINs!
woozy

Post by woozy »

hoover wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 2:11 pm
I'm always intrigues when I find germs for palindromes I have never though of and WENT ON- NOT NEW is a very clever one I had never seen.

I didn't really persue it as a rabbit hole (a rabbit hole implies there is a direction to go down) but oddly it did make me think a heck of a lot of clues were in the past tense and it got me to the right place.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
OGuyDave

Post by OGuyDave »

Know how close I was to this one? Think about the pictures that the new Webb telescope is going to capture. I was out there someplace.

Moon. Yeah, it's one. I like 'em.

TFTXWD anyway
KayW

Post by KayW »

MaineMarge wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 3:34 pm
How well we remember those WONder tWINs!
All too well. I think THAT traumatic DNF (for me) is the reason I solved this one so quickly. Seriously.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
RussHiggins

Post by RussHiggins »

Janet wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 2:18 pm What took me a while on this puzzle was that there was more than one possibility for the present tense. I had a couple wrong at first, then kept looking at the grid again to find the right ones.
I was right there with you. I had ARE, SPIN(S), SEE(S), GO(ES), DRAW(S), and LAY(S), for 32 combinations of final letters. One of these combinations anagrams to SENSES, which I thought wasn't very good. I never went back to the grid to look for the present tenses.
Ergcat

Post by Ergcat »

JAQT wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 12:07 pm When I posted my "ashore" comment, I was watching the Alistair Sim version of "A Christmas Carol". For a moment I considered starting a debate on which version people here liked the most. But then I realized "Wow, what a spoiler!" I would have been banned from the site.
No debate….The 1951 Alistair Sim version is THE BEST! We watch it every Christmas Eve!
JAQT

Post by JAQT »

Ergcat wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 8:28 pm
JAQT wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 12:07 pm When I posted my "ashore" comment, I was watching the Alistair Sim version of "A Christmas Carol". For a moment I considered starting a debate on which version people here liked the most. But then I realized "Wow, what a spoiler!" I would have been banned from the site.
No debate….The 1951 Alistair Sim version is THE BEST! We watch it every Christmas Eve!
Totally agree! Although the "Thank you very much" song from the Albert Finney musical version is an absolute kick!
JustAQuickThought
DBMiller

Post by DBMiller »

I had so much wanted to use Do/Did in my initial response instead of my usual Done and Done. Fortunately, I know/knew better.
If I'm around, I am willing to join the Muggle Zoom room at other times to lend a hand to those in need.
vandono

Post by vandono »

i was all like "sheesh, who's been an idiot on this meta" and Isaac was like Image