"Now That's a Gift!" - December 24, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
michaelm

Post by michaelm »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 11:06 am
Adajeo wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 9:00 am
Ben B wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 5:26 pm Merry Christmas Muggles!

We are on shore. Thanks for another fun puzzle Mike.

This week marks one year since my puzzle loving son introduced me to metas. For those just starting out please don’t get discouraged. It takes time and practice to develop the skill to solve most of these incredible constructions. My nudges come from my son who has a knack for seeing things. But the thrill of the eventual solo solve is very much worth the time and effort!
Mr. Gaffney said it best in 2015 “When you solve a meta puzzle, in the 10 or 15 seconds that you realize you’ve just figured out the key to this thing, you get this adrenaline rush, no joke.” Here's a link to the article: https://observer.com/2015/11/chasing-th ... ta-puzzle/
And spouses love the AHA moment because they get to see us again but only after we gleefully explain the meta and they go through the eye roll.

Thanks for posting.
Spot on, Bob!
EdStrong

Post by EdStrong »

Toes in sand!
sphorning

Post by sphorning »

Bye, Isaac! I figured it out as I fell asleep last night. On shore!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Good Sunday morning muggles

First if you have not read the poem by @Janet and @DrTom it is a must read - posting 229 . And read it to your spouse or significant other - it is that good.

Next - read the link that Adajeo posted on 237. Another great posting

And I want to echo what Dr Tom wrote on 222 and the thanks for the work that Brian Mac and all the others do to keep this forum (not just this page but all the other pages too) up and running extremely well. It is a joy to be here with all of you.

And before we get to the counts, welcome to our newest muggle Carndog33. The more muggles, the merrier.

We have 19 on the ship and 171 on the shore. And if any of the ship people need a nudge, PM anyone on the shore and tell them what you have done and you will get feedback (and probably make a friend or two).

New to the ship's bar since yesterday are

SReh26
rosiegirl
relic (and Maggie)
JerryF
Carndog33
Deb
haydendog

While making their way to shore are:

Flying_Burrito
Janet
Ben B and son
BreeZynCO
ship4u
mindle
JAQT
sphorning
Adajeo
kamashdas
Brian M
BEACHEDWHALE
Cindy N
DrTom
C=64
ajk
MaineMarge
otlaolap
Bonnibel
auee89
mrmd
bread-girl
ZooAnimalsOnWheels
Ann
martimeryard (and I need to get autocorrect from changing this to Mastercard!!)

Good luck with getting the meta and stay safe
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
mntlblok

Post by mntlblok »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 11:56 am Good Sunday morning muggles

First if you have not read the poem by @Janet and @DrTom it is a must read - posting 229 . And read it to your spouse or significant other - it is that good.

Next - read the link that Adajeo posted on 237. Another great posting

And I want to echo what Dr Tom wrote on 222 and the thanks for the work that Brian Mac and all the others do to keep this forum (not just this page but all the other pages too) up and running extremely well. It is a joy to be here with all of you.

And before we get to the counts, welcome to our newest muggle Carndog33. The more muggles, the merrier.

We have 19 on the ship and 171 on the shore. And if any of the ship people need a nudge, PM anyone on the shore and tell them what you have done and you will get feedback (and probably make a friend or two).

New to the ship's bar since yesterday are

SReh26
rosiegirl
relic (and Maggie)
JerryF
Carndog33
Deb
haydendog

While making their way to shore are:

Flying_Burrito
Janet
Ben B and son
BreeZynCO
ship4u
mindle
JAQT
sphorning
Adajeo
kamashdas
Brian M
BEACHEDWHALE
Cindy N
DrTom
C=64
ajk
MaineMarge
otlaolap
Bonnibel
auee89
mrmd
bread-girl
ZooAnimalsOnWheels
Ann
martimeryard (and I need to get autocorrect from changing this to Mastercard!!)

Good luck with getting the meta and stay safe
And #708 is out. :-)
CAe39

Post by CAe39 »

On shore. Happy holidays to you all!
Last edited by CAe39 on Sun Dec 26, 2021 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MatthewL

Post by MatthewL »

Well, I've been staring at this off and on for the last few days, and cannot makes heads or tails of it. Obviously, I'm making this too complicated, because I see various things but none of them seem to go anywhere. Not the way I wanted to end the holiday, but it is what it is, I suppose. Happy Boxing Day, to all who celebrate!
Matthew
Gman

Post by Gman »

On shore. Happy New Year from Switzerland
Attachments
20211226_210512.jpg
Last edited by Gman on Sun Dec 26, 2021 3:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
rosiegirl

Post by rosiegirl »

On shore!
Isw

Post by Isw »

Finally on shore! (Thanks to my wife for pulling me back down a path I thought was a rabbit hole)
hunkra

Post by hunkra »

Howdy and Merry Christmas! -- been on the ship since Friday, but have just now come up for some Boxing Day air after 48 hours of non-stop cooking, eating, cleaning and board/card game playing. I am hoping for some fast AHA enlightenment before I have to pack for a family jaunt to the Adirondack cabin. If I fall flat, the words of Mike S - via the masterly prose of @DrTom - "There’s another next week, maybe you’ll get it right!” are ringing in my ears.
Channeling Molly Weasley on a good day.
BreeZynCO

Post by BreeZynCO »

ship4u wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 2:45 pm
BreeZynCO wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 1:47 pm On shore! A merry Christmas to all from the snowy mountains of Colorado!
Nice to see the snow! Holiday skiiers will be happy! Looks magnificent. I loved my winter vacations to the Rockies to spend a week downhill skiing. Sadly, one day a bad fall took out my knee.
That's so sad! We are enjoying the 18" of snow that arrived on Christmas eve.
Joepickett

Post by Joepickett »

Still on the ship. Literally. Went for a cruise over Xmas. Just got a Pina Colada from not Issac (I think it was Luane)
Anyway still pondering this meta. I have some ideas but nothing is clicking yet.
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

Finally on shore, thanks to a gentle reminder from @DrTom . I’d thought of the applicable path early on, but discarded it without pursuing fully. (Sigh) Perhaps next time I’ll remember what I should do.
Cynthia
ReB

Post by ReB »

Ashore after a fresh dive into the water today, followed by a five-minute swim to the beach. A late Christmas present to myself, I guess.
Commodore

Post by Commodore »

Runners a little rusty on our '65 sleds. A little wax, a lot of added weight, and we flew into the beach in time for a cup o' nog.
I'd say more, but the leftover ham just came out.
Cheers.
Sleds.JPG
Puzzle mom

Post by Puzzle mom »

Worked on this here and there over the weekend with no luck. Finally got a quiet minute and the answer popped out - so I am ashore!

(But I’m a bit worried that my quiet minute is too quiet. I’m afraid the little elves are up to mischief 😳)
diplomatt

Post by diplomatt »

Spending Boxing Day on the beach!
Relic

Post by Relic »

After going down two rabbit holes, I returned to the ship and hit the gym for an hour. When I returned I saw a potential angle. I worked through it despite worrying it might be a dead end.

When I finished, there was an answer that fits. Unsure if it is THE answer. For now, I consider myself ashore. Karbach me boy!
Good luck to all for a successful solve. If you see that I'm ashore - rare occasion of late - message me if you'd like a nudge. Be sure to include your progress so I can know better how to assist.

Alan A. and Maggie Muggle
Chantellebeal

Post by Chantellebeal »

I've had a lovely Christmas with my family. No white Christmas for us here in WI this year. I am stuck with no inspiration. I have looked at this from time to time after solving the grid on Thursday. I have successfully figured out quite a few of the metas since starting this a few months ago. I have enjoyed great aha moments but am frustrated that I am still nowhere close on this one. I'd love a nudge if anyone has some spare time. Thanks!