#707 - “By the Numbers”

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
Cinny

Post by Cinny »

Beamed up with a nudge.
Cindy Heisler
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

Beamed up but I needed help to understand how to use the notes I had written down in the first half hour. I need to learn to follow my instincts about things that I notice in the grid.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
boharr

Post by boharr »

Beamed up, with help.
burak

Post by burak »

This is one of those metas where I cannot unsee/forget about some ideas that I've had, but I don't know what to do with them either thus I'm stuck in a loop.
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

burak wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 1:48 am This is one of those metas where I cannot unsee/forget about some ideas that I've had, but I don't know what to do with them either thus I'm stuck in a loop.
I'm right there with ya!
higgysue

Post by higgysue »

Beamed up with the help of @hashbrown. How did I get on the board before you?
hashbrown

Post by hashbrown »

higgysue wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 1:00 pm Beamed up with the help of @hashbrown. How did I get on the board before you?
Decided to try holding out for the "Buzzer Beater" achievement but my fried brain was 24h ahead of time!
-HB
mkmf

Post by mkmf »

Beamed up! Fun one
KayW

Post by KayW »

hashbrown wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 2:16 pm
higgysue wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 1:00 pm Beamed up with the help of @hashbrown. How did I get on the board before you?
Decided to try holding out for the "Buzzer Beater" achievement but my fried brain was 24h ahead of time!
At least that's better than being 24h BEHIND time!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
cbarbee002

Post by cbarbee002 »

Beamed up after some good pushing! Fun puzzle.
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

Mr Scott, energize!

Stay well all
photosurrealism

Post by photosurrealism »

OK, I'm sure I've overthought this and second-guessed myself. Anyone available to help me out?
MamaE

Post by MamaE »

Argh! Been staring on and off all weekend and got nothing but rabbit holes!

ETA: after typing this, and going back for one more look, I finally saw it!!
- Just puzzling it out here in Delmarva :D
JennyByrd

Post by JennyByrd »

I’m stuck. Going skiing in a bit, so hopeful that posting my sad status that I might activate the magic aha machine in my brain. otherwise, I’m giving up and going to play in the snow.
SusieG

Post by SusieG »

Ok, I’ve run myself into a tizzy on this one. Is anyone available for a slight nudge?

Edit: thanks everyone! My inbox is filling up. I’m working through the nudges now. I think I had some typos that were hanging me up.

Follow up: believe I got it. Thanks again everyone.
auee89

Post by auee89 »

Beamed last night. Enjoyed this one.
Kevin
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

NOTE TO ALL: I originally posted this a few days ago but because it gave a hint to the way to solve the GRID the moderators appropriately felt it was a bit of a spoiler, and I am sorry if I spoiled anyone's fun - however I (naturally) thought is was funny enough to post after the fact, so.....

I quite literally had to be dragged across the finish line. In retrospect it as simply a case of me not recognizing the obvious path, but then ain't that always the case! Thanks to those who did the dragging.

So, I am feeling better at the moment but sincerely doubt my abilities - this about sums it up:
GOOD 4.jpg
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

No transporter for me this week. (Only my second week of doing the MGWCC.) Was going for the solo and was left solo with nothing but a bunch of dead-end rabbit holes. I saw the '4' element in the five crossing answers, but couldn't link it to the "By the Numbers" clue. Maybe I had a grid error? Also saw a number (yes, pun intended) of other 'numbers' in the grid. Yet... they all added up to nada, zilch, zero. I'm up to a cumulative 75% success rate on Gaffney puzzles in the WSJ Friday contest. Yet this one had me down for the count.

Anyone care to share the answer?
MikeM000

Post by MikeM000 »

HunterX wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 3:11 pm No transporter for me this week. (Only my second week of doing the MGWCC.) Was going for the solo and was left solo with nothing but a bunch of dead-end rabbit holes. I saw the '4' element in the five crossing answers, but couldn't link it to the "By the Numbers" clue. Maybe I had a grid error? Also saw a number (yes, pun intended) of other 'numbers' in the grid. Yet... they all added up to nada, zilch, zero. I'm up to a cumulative 75% success rate on Gaffney puzzles in the WSJ Friday contest. Yet this one had me down for the count.

Anyone care to share the answer?
As a general matter, you can hop onto crossword fiend at 12:01 on Tuesdays and get the answer. Or 12:05 if blogger Joon doesn't solve the meta and a commenter spells it out. Here is today's update with a full explanation:

https://crosswordfiend.com/2021/12/21/m ... ore-132698

But to specifically answer your question: FORTH.
Beth Tyrpin

Post by Beth Tyrpin »

Here’s how I got my alternate answer. I added the intersecting numbers. 4+4=8 (T), 4+46=50 (S), 4+42=46 (S), 14+41=55 (A) and 4+4=8 (T). That gives us STATS. Yes, that seems fitting. Done.