"Winter Fall" - December 17, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

MaineMarge wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 1:50 pm
mheberlingx100 wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:22 am I took longest on BODice and CORNice, which to me seem a bit archaic.
Seamstresses of Muggledom unite! Bodice was my first, as it’s still labeled thus on patterns as the top part of a dress.
And those of us living in old houses probably had cornice covered.
I love these metas that have a treasure map to interpret.
And happy winter solstICE to all tomorrow!🙋‍♀️
Right there with you, Marge. Bodice jumped right out at me for that very reason. The house I grew up in had a cornice in the living room and I made one for my parents' house years ago, so that one was a gimme, too.
drbockel2

Post by drbockel2 »

OFFice was giving me trouble until I brainfarted on the Post Office clue and had a major d'uh moment.
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

I thought the answer was going to be AVALANCHE. Seeing IVE going down in the second column briefly reinforced that idea of substituting letters to make the word ICE going down. Of course, I quickly had trouble finding any other ways to make ICE. I was looking over on the right side of the grid for the letter C (still trying to make AVALANCHE work), when I saw CORN and thought CORNICE. I got caught up in the ordering of the words. Since these were all words going down, I thought they would be in order from left to right, but that was gobbledygook. So then I tried top to bottom.
otlaolap

Post by otlaolap »

Very lucky, me, on this puzzle. Got the ICE words, tried various things but made no progress, then noticed a synonym or two (e,g, rookie and novice) and got some more, and then noticed a clue-connected pairing (e.g. dome and cornice). Eventually found nine corresponding pairs of words, many dead certain, other not such a lock. At the end of all of this I wrote down the first letters of the corresponding words: REDOVASPE. That's the order I picked, for some reason: in columns, left to right, and within each column from top to bottom. REDOVASPE. Got me nowhere. In a fit of true brilliance I thought "anagram" (at which I stink), and an internet anagram generator gave me one and only one anagram: eavesdrop. So I was lucky that I had all nine letters properly picked.

On Monday, when the solution finally arrived, I did the ritual banging of the head against the wall when the obvious natural order of the letters was revealed. And then I went and looked at my worksheet and its list of corresponding words. They read, from top to bottom, eavesdrop. I'll go back and do another banging against the wall, now. In any case, the gods have evaluated the purity of my effort, found it lacking, and sent their mugging message elsewhere.
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

LadyBird wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 4:52 pm I thought the answer was going to be AVALANCHE. Seeing IVE going down in the second column briefly reinforced that idea of substituting letters to make the word ICE going down. Of course, I quickly had trouble finding any other ways to make ICE. I was looking over on the right side of the grid for the letter C (still trying to make AVALANCHE work), when I saw CORN and thought CORNICE. I got caught up in the ordering of the words. Since these were all words going down, I thought they would be in order from left to right, but that was gobbledygook. So then I tried top to bottom.
And I got goobledygook for a bird name from this post. :D
Just kidding, Not everything you write.....
Captureseuss.PNG
Glorfindel

Post by Glorfindel »

Some weeks, it just all comes together, and the process as well as the feeling at the end of it is a thing of joy and beauty..
Some weeks, it doesn't all (or at all) come together, and there's the ritual banging of head against wall around Sunday 9pm when the solution is revealed (here on W. Coast time) ..
And then, there are those weeks (too many in my case), where there's a fog all around, and when the solution comes out Sunday night, just a reverent shake of the head in wonder at the folks who got it ...
I assume that's the Kas scoring levels!
hoover

Post by hoover »

I am slowly being trained in the way Matt Gaffney's evil mind works. After getting the -ICE words and seeing that they didn't spell anything, I then looked for synonyms or other words close in meaning. When I realized that some of them weren't synonyms, I thought (thanks to training from previous metas) to look at the clues as Matt intended.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

My hot chocolate peppermint fudge. Wish I could send it to all of you!
Attachments
FA103173-B615-453D-816A-FA9319741DF6.jpeg
Heidi
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

hcbirker wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 8:35 pm My hot chocolate peppermint fudge. Wish I could send it to all of you!
Next best thing might be sharing your recipe :)
iggystan

Post by iggystan »

I finished the grid Friday, found the “ice” words and put the puzzle down to look at later. Overnight, my mind was working and for some reason “eavesdrop” came into my head. When I went back to the puzzle, I just didn’t see the other words and therefore didn’t get the answer. I should have submitted my Hail Mary, but didn’t. Doh!

(This kind of thing probably contributes to my insomnia.)

(Muggling while sleeping.)
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

ky-mike wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:08 pm
hcbirker wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 8:35 pm My hot chocolate peppermint fudge. Wish I could send it to all of you!
Next best thing might be sharing your recipe :)
Peppermint Hot Chocolate Fudge

3 cups of sugar
3/4 cup of butter
2/3 cup evaporated milk
10 oz. bag of bittersweet chocolate chips
1 (7 oz.) jar marshmallow creme
1 teas. vanilla extract
1 teas. peppermint extract
2 cups mini marshmallows, divided
8-10 crushed candy canes (or if you're lucky, the already crushed kind)

Line a 13x9 inch pan with foil, leaving a few inches hanging over the pan. Grease the foil.
In a saucepan, combine the sugar, butter and evaporated milk. Over medium heat, bring the mixture to a roiling boil, stirring constantly. continue to boil for 5 minutes while stirring.

Remove from heat, and stir in the chocolate chips until melted. Add the marshmallow creme, vanilla and peppermint extract, stirring well Gently fold in about a cup of the mini marshmallows.

Pour into the prepared pan and spread out evenly. Top with more mini marshmallows and crushed peppermint candy, and gently press into the fudge.

Set aside until cool and set. Cut into squares. Store in an airtight container.
Heidi
Glorfindel

Post by Glorfindel »

I saw no earlier mention of this, so here goes: Another connection that solidified 'Eavesdrop' was this additional link with title and themes in the puzzle:
ICEicles drop from eaves in winter - i.e. Winter Falls ...

eavesdrop etymology: early 17th century: back-formation from eavesdropper (late Middle English)‘a person who listens from under the eaves’, from the obsolete noun eavesdrop ‘the ground on to which water drips from the eaves’,

(bonus connection between cornice and eaves as well). Cute, I thought.
escapeartist

Post by escapeartist »

No winner announced today - back to checking my email every 5 minutes.
* 2022 WSJ Mug Winner - I bask in its Glory *
OGuyDave

Post by OGuyDave »

The gnawing glitch that I mentioned in Post 256 was for "notice." Even backsolving, none of the clues with answers starting with "a" made sense to me. Feeling somewhat vindicated by CrosswordNexus:
CrosswordNexusNotice.png
Shepherd's: Very seldom, but liked it each time.
802puzzler

Post by 802puzzler »

I never got back to the puzzle after my 'On the Ship' post, so thankfully didn't spend any more time trying to figure out this extremely elegant mechanism! Bravo to all who solved!
minimuggle

Post by minimuggle »

OK, I'm curious if anyone else went with "hardJ" for justice??? That lead to "overheads".....oops. I was so excited to get the mechanism so quickly too.
Nlobb

Post by Nlobb »

Another definition of cornice is an overhanging mass of snow at an edge of a mountain precipace.
That gave me the (wrong) idea that a match for cornice could be ice 69d…
A quiet moment before the storm aka the arrival of 3 preschool grandkids for 2 weeks!!
woozy

Post by woozy »

minimuggle wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 2:02 pm OK, I'm curious if anyone else went with "hardJ" for justice??? That lead to "overheads".....oops. I was so excited to get the mechanism so quickly too.
I briefly thought "hard justice" was a phrase and I thought all the clues would be right-angle bends. It was easy to see while looking for the rest of the clues that they were not.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Laughed out loud when Jay sent me this
Eggs.png
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
MikeMillerwsj

Post by MikeMillerwsj »

The contest answer is EAVESDROP. From the clue at 69-Down, nine Down answers can take -ICE to form another word: JUST, NOT, BOD, POL, MAL, CORN, NOV, CHO, OFF. These new words satisfy clues to other answers (like “One of the cabinet departments” from 36-Across for JUSTICE). In order they are EDUCATION, ATTENTION, VEST, EMTS, SPITE, DOME, ROOKIE, OPTION and POST. Their first letters spell the contest answer.

Hello and apologies for the delay this week. Our solvers had a very successful week! We had 1717 entries with about 86% correct, even better than our usual level around 75%. Lots of guesses of other 9-letter winter-fallinng words, starting with SNOWFLAKE (59) plus AVALANCHE (46), SNOWSTORM (17), PRECIPICE (8) and MISTLETOE (2). Also VAPORISED (5) which was on the trail with almost all the right letters....

Congrats to this week's winner, Pamela Liggett of Bloomfield Hills, Mich. And a safe and happy holiday to all!