#20 - "Stand-Ins"

Creative and challenging meta crosswords (currently on hiatus) from: www.pgwcc.net
Hector

#20 - "Stand-Ins"

Post by Hector »

The answer to the metapuzzle is a common surname.
Hector

Post by Hector »

Another very tough grid (thank you, Google!), and another very clever meta. Fun!
LesY

Post by LesY »

Got it! But need to satisfy my need for completion by identifying a couple more pieces. Tough grid.
RPardoe

Post by RPardoe »

Nice AHA and confirmation of the final answer.
Meg

Post by Meg »

Sometimes I’m in awe of what these constructors come up with! Really nice one this week.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Fun meta! Not hard. Though I needed to Google for five or six letters, maybe more, on the grid.

I like it that PGWCC's grids are though. Sorta like getting a Saturday Stumper along with the meta.
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

Solved. Nice one!
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

There was something about the puzzle's construction that, even after getting the answer, I hadn't noticed, until I was describing the puzzle and my answer to Lynne.

Wow, very clever! Nice job, Peter!
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

I'm so glad that I finally got this one or I'd be kicking myself next week! Really excellent, I love how creative these metas are.

I had the same experience as Chris, with having 5 or 6 single-letter holes in the grid that I had to Google. I do like challenging grids, but I'd prefer to (eventually) solve them using just the knowledge in my own head and maybe educated guesses. However, PGW seems to choose a lot of words from way outside my experience that I'd never figure out, and then some of them cross each other! Oh well, it's always good to learn new things, and it's definitely a change from the same old crossword filler...
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Loved this one... how long before we start describing his metas/style as "typically PGW-esque"? He needs more contestants, spread the word!
BrianMac
Site Admin

Post by BrianMac »

Ha, I finally saw it! I actually had most of it pretty early on, just couldn't get it to click. But then it did, and with a chuckle.

Bring on MGWCC week 4!
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

Once again I'm watching everyone enjoy this meta and I haven't seen it yet. I have found a lot of things going on in this puzzle, but so far they've taken me nowhere. And with week 4 coming out soon, I guess I know how I'll be spending my weekend. At least we have good weather for sitting on the porch with a puzzle in my lap.
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

FrankieHeck wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:50 am Once again I'm watching everyone enjoy this meta and I haven't seen it yet. I have found a lot of things going on in this puzzle, but so far they've taken me nowhere.
You can get this one! Probably you've found too many things by now (like I did). Go back to the first thing you thought of, and try to narrow your focus.
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

Laura M wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:55 pm
FrankieHeck wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:50 am Once again I'm watching everyone enjoy this meta and I haven't seen it yet. I have found a lot of things going on in this puzzle, but so far they've taken me nowhere.
You can get this one! Probably you've found too many things by now (like I did). Go back to the first thing you thought of, and try to narrow your focus.
Oh my gosh, I just saw the light. I was just having a terrible time with that one, but I'm glad I stuck it out!