"Musical Number" - December 5, 2021

Available by emailing a request to PandorasBlocksWMC[at]gmail[dot]com, these meta puzzles are distributed by email every Sunday. Pandora's Blocks crosswords are intended to spread the popularity of meta crosswords, however, they are not just for beginners and run the gamut it terms of difficulty.
TeaJenny

Post by TeaJenny »

MamaE wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:50 am
Laura M wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 3:08 am
MamaE wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:12 pm The Dino is rocking out with me, an old Gen Xer! Fun one and enjoying the ear worm :)
Dplass wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:15 pm Gen Xers unite!
TeaJenny wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:14 pm Count me in!
MikeM000 wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:24 pm Biggest hit in the world for part of...7th or 8th grade for me, I believe...
Dplass wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:30 pm Same! We must be the same age.
(Un-nested the quotes because apparently it won't show more than 3 levels)
Me too (give or take a year)! According to the interwebs this song was huge when I was in 6th grade, but I would have sworn up and down it was at least a year earlier, so now I'm questioning my entire childhood... Still, enjoyed the puzzle!
8th grade for me too!
If any of you fellow xers are tik tok watchers (I thank/blame my kids) there is a hysterical GenXer on there @corrbette - who does the "Gen-X Update". Recommend. YMMV
I'm the tail end of Gen X (1979 was a VERY good year), so I wasn't in school yet, but I definitely heard this on the radio and MTV. (Please don't call me a "Xennial." *shudder* I can't stand that portmanteau.)
You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me. ~C.S. Lewis
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

Who is this Jenny-come-lately?

"PEnnsylvania Six Five Thousand" was a hit for Glenn Miller's in 1940. It was the actual number of an actual hotel. the Hotel Pennsylvania near Penn Stateion. In later years it went through a few name changes and ownership changes, eventually returned to the original name I tried calling today (now it's 212-736-5000 --- not quite as song-friendly) and got a message saying that it was closed permanently because of Covid.

In 1962, the Marvelettes had a hit with "Beechwood 4-5789," covered by the Carpenters 20 years later.
Phone number.jpg
Jay