#705 - “Ten by Ten”

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
TeaJenny

Post by TeaJenny »

Beamed up at #175.
You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me. ~C.S. Lewis
Joe

Post by Joe »

I was weirdly nervous that I was wrong. I don't know a thing about football and I couldn't make sense of the title. But, yeah, I beamed aboard with no problems.

Edit: And I figured out what the title meant.
Happy to give nudges. If you notice I've solved, please tell me about avenues you've explored so I can nudge you in the right direction and not off a cliff.
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

I did the version with no instructions and no across clues and found it a wonderful challenge. I noticed how often I looked at the across clues for confirmation -- and of course they weren't there. I'm often reminded of my amazing (and completely blind) seventh-grade history teacher, Mr. Kessler, who taught using fill-in-the-blank phrases. He'd give you the first letter and the number of letters, and you had to puzzle it out. His motto, in big letters across the front of the room, was WORK FROM THE KNOWN TO THE UNKNOWN. One of the greatest honors I've ever gotten was being named his "student of the year."
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
rjy

Post by rjy »

Beamed up, mostly downs-only but had to peek for the instructions. Don't know that I could have discerned it otherwise.

Enjoy your weekend, all!
Ray
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Joe wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:46 pm I was weirdly nervous that I was wrong. I don't know a thing about football and I couldn't make sense of the title.
Ditto. I’ve submitted, though I don’t understand the title. Hope I’m right. Streak on the line!

UPDATE: Beamed up!
Last edited by ChrisKochmanski on Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew Bradburn

Post by Andrew Bradburn »

Al Sisti wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:12 pm How long before Matt adds a "Solved without Directions," "Solved with Down Clues Only," etc., achievement medals?
This would be cool, but I doubt he will do it as he would only have the solver's word as to how it was done. This is true already of "Better Together" for non-solo solves, but that strikes me as something many people would NOT want earn if possible. A lot of the best supersolvers on the list do not have that achievement yet, and probably aren't looking to get it. Still, it is a fun challenge to do week ones with restrictions.
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

Did the downs-only-no-instruction and got 90% of the grid, but had to peek at the directions. On the board, though.
higgysue

Post by higgysue »

Beamed up.
Cinny

Post by Cinny »

Beamed up. Nice to have a solo solve, even if it is a week one!!
Cindy Heisler
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Definitely not my wheelhouse, and google was at first not at all helpful. But a different search turned up a better answer and I've beamed up.
DCBilly

Post by DCBilly »

On the board, it’s good to have a Week One twelve times a year.
MamaE

Post by MamaE »

On the board even with the dreaded sports theme…. At least it was a week one level sports meta!
- Just puzzling it out here in Delmarva :D
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

Will this be the week we go above 800 on the leaderboard? It could be - stay tuned!!
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 92. It's a Breeze
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Whoops, forgot to submit until a little while ago but I'm sure I am at the right place. I did check with a known solver though because I have been burnt sooo many times with these that I just KNOW the right answer is....and it isn't. Plus Week 1 Gaffney's always make me wonder if at some point he is going to throw us a curve. Anyway, submitted and waiting, I'll probably be #1700

OK, #392 SO A LITTLE OFF, BUT APPARENTLY IN THE RIGHT STADIUM :D
Last edited by DrTom on Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
LesY

Post by LesY »

Beamed up as well!

Exciting one for me, because I tried downs only no instructions for the first time - and I think I’m hooked. Got the entire grid except for 3 squares. I also managed to come up with an interesting (and I thought supported) alternate answer before I looked at the prompt.

There was one thought I had along the way that maybe could have turned into a meta solve without knowing the prompt, maybe. But my mind was in a different domain.

Told Matt I hope he keeps doing week 1 puzzles this way, even though it sounds like a bit more work for him.
MaineMarge

Post by MaineMarge »

Beamed up.
Or it looks like they’re coming down to get me.
66B96088-2346-45E7-A150-1BE37D6E60C5.jpeg
Lenticularis clouds via the Cloud Appreciation Soc.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

MaineMarge wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:56 am Beamed up.
Or it looks like they’re coming down to get me.
66B96088-2346-45E7-A150-1BE37D6E60C5.jpeg
Lenticularis clouds via the Cloud Appreciation Soc.
Please remember to phone home!
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

Better late than never. #429 on the board.
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

Did you quicksolvers try either of the no-instructions versions? I did, with no success. I kept trying to find something consistent with the title. I finally gave up, looked at the prompt, got the answer, and still can't figure out how it fits with the title. Ideally a title relates to both the mechanism and the answer; failing that, one or the other. The only connection I can see is very tenuous.
Jay
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

DrTom wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:52 am but I'm sure I am at the right place.
Noted.
Jay