"Double Trouble" - December 3, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Colin

Post by Colin »

No time - just to say,
Was granddaughter’s fifth birthday.
Onboard I will stay.
One world. One planet. One future.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

WSJCC Double Trouble reveal.png
escapeartist

Post by escapeartist »

How does Gaffney think up this stuff?

Very clever construction!
* 2022 WSJ Mug Winner - I bask in its Glory *
802puzzler

Post by 802puzzler »

LOL, I woke up just now with the answer in my head. But I was.... (10 minutes and) A day late and a dollar short!
Colin

Post by Colin »

Very elegant! Come on you muggles - win the mug!
One world. One planet. One future.
stmv

Post by stmv »

I'm on vacation in Maui right now without a printer, my first time trying to solve without a printed copy. I pretty quickly saw the missing four quarters, and the three instances of being 8 hours late. The next day I somewhat connected the dots to see that I wanted a seven-word phrase talking about dollars and days, but such a phrase would not come to mind. Then tonight at dinner, in an unrelated conversation, my wife said "a day late and a dollar short" and it rang a bell. I quickly counted off that it contains seven words, and I knew that was the answer, and it was still half an hour before the deadline! I got all excited and turned my phone to roaming so I could submit at the last minute, and then I remembered that this is the WSJ contest, and I'm Canadian, and so I can't submit, so there is no point. So I had to just be happy in knowing that I did get the answer before the deadline (with an assist from my wife). It's nice to know that I was on the right track all along.
hoover

Post by hoover »

As soon as I saw the missing four quarters and realized they needed to combine to make A DOLLAR SHORT, I imagined how challenging this was going to be for people from places that don't have dollars or quarters of them. Do we have any of those?
LivinaDogsLife

Post by LivinaDogsLife »

I have failed on so many of these metas that I was beginning to think it just wasn’t going to happen again. And then this puzzle appears and I get it with just a hint from the mechanism.

I used to really be frustrated by crossword clues that only marginally matched the answer and totally irritated when the grid answer was outright wrong (as is the case with this week in which 8 are wrong or at least incomplete). So ‘wrong’ is the clue and any other meta might have made this puzzle extremely hard. As it is, it was surprisingly easy.

When I hear that others haven’t heard this phrase it wakes me up to the fact we are all the products of unique environments. I had never heard of “MWAHAHA” before the puzzle several weeks ago but now that I know it I’m looking for an excuse to use it.

I can’t help but smile when calling someone out as a day late and a dollar short even when it’s me! I probably use ADLAADS more often than LOL, BFF, IMHO, and every other twitter acronym combined. Actually, I’ve never written ADLAADS before but I hope you get my meaning! :-)

Enjoy!
Jace54

Post by Jace54 »

This meta reminded me of one of my favorite WSJ cryptic crosswords with the same 7-word title. In that puzzle, “buck” was removed from many grid entries and day abbreviations were changed to the later day (e.g, “fri” became “sat”) in the grid. This puzzle was well done by Matt!
woozy

Post by woozy »

So I got that 8 hour shift but I didn't get the missing quarters right away. Some question about people I never heard of but whose names just sound like football players? Sure if the letters say "BACK" that's a title in sports isn't it? And Wimbeldon round, well the letters say FINAL and that's utterly reasonable. The Touristy think of New Orleans "FRENCH"? That doesn't make any sense but this isn't the first time I've had a crossword clue make no sense. And coins that are STATE??? Well, that makes no sense but clearly the mechanic is those 8 hour shifts.

So 8 hour shift? Double Time? Weird. But that STATE for coin is weird. I imagine they are STATE QUARTERS. So maybe the last clue is missing a word so by symmetry maybe the first clue is too. ANd aren't football players RUNNING BACKS? So something about running double shifts before a quarter. Maybe I should google those names.... Oh! They are quarterbacks! So three 8 hour shifts between quarters? Two quarters. 50 cents.... A dollar short and a day late? But there are only two quarters. Well, If I can find two more quarters that's make sense.... hmm-tee-tum.... Oh. QUARTER-finals and ... by symmetry.... Well, geez, that stupid New Orleans question never did make any sense but I had completely forgotten about it.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
BEACHEDWHALE

Post by BEACHEDWHALE »

Oh great... I said "A DOLLAR SHORT AND A DAY LATE" ... Since the quarter clues started at the top of the puzzle I thought that was the start of the answer... Oh well, next time maybe...
Limerick Savant

Post by Limerick Savant »

woozy wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:29 am Tangent:

So I'm curious about where most people learn of Burma Shave signs. What percentage was Mad Magazine and what percent was Warner Brothers cartoons? And given that no-one could possibly of learned of them from actual Burma Shave signs, what other sources are there.
I was a fan of both Mad and the Looney Tunes fare but my first exposure to Burma Shave signs was actually on the road to my great uncle’s farm in rural Ohio. There was a curvy stretch on the two lane blacktop near the farm that was perfect for those spaced signs with the clever reveal. Brings back some fond memories like the rolling hilly road home where my dad picked just the right speed to get us weightless at the top of each hill. Take that Bezos and Branson. Who needs your million dollar thrill trip?
Dedicated to no nonsense nonsense
Bill Bovard

Post by Bill Bovard »

I got it with some help from the Muggles comments things like:
- My dad used to always say this about me
- I figured it out while driving home, etc.
To me these border on spoilers because they helped me immensely.
LivinaDogsLife

Post by LivinaDogsLife »

LivinaDogsLife wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:42 am I have failed on so many of these metas that I was beginning to think it just wasn’t going to happen again. And then this puzzle appears and I get it with just a hint from the mechanism.

I used to really be frustrated by crossword clues that only marginally matched the answer and totally irritated when the grid answer was outright wrong (as is the case with this week in which 7 are wrong or at least incomplete). So ‘wrong’ is the clue and any other meta might have made this puzzle extremely hard. As it is, it was surprisingly easy given I knew the phrase before I figured out all the ‘wrong’ clues.

When I hear that others haven’t heard this phrase it wakes me up to the fact we are all the products of unique environments. I had never heard of “MWAHAHA” before the puzzle several weeks ago and could not get it even with help. But now that I know it I’m looking for an excuse to use it.

I can’t help but smile when calling someone out as a day late and a dollar short even when it’s me! I probably use ADLAADS more often than LOL, BFF, IMHO, and every other twitter acronym combined. Actually, I’ve never written ADLAADS before but I hope you get my meaning! :-)

Enjoy!
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

I had the timing wrong and thought the time gaps were 16 hours not 8. I took this along with title to mean double shifts or overtime. So I had triple overtime. The 4 quarters I took to be game segments. I almost submitted four quarters of regulation and triple overtime (there was even a recent NBA game where this happened apparently). But I thought this did not have enough of a click. Finally late Sunday afternoon it revealed itself and I don’t really know why. Maybe some post enlightenment but I didn’t see any spoilers that for sure.

I also sullied page one with a retraction-again my apologies. My very first impression was 4 quarters and MORNING NOON and FIVE and thought AHA it’s Monday Night Football!!! I posted on the beach and was submitting “are you ready for some football?” To WSJ. Right before I hit send I realized it was only 6 words! Then edited post end went back to the drawing board for the entire weekend which I deserved I guess.

An amazingly clever puzzle and meta. How does he do it?!?!?

Stay well all!
mntlblok

Post by mntlblok »

Limerick Savant wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:20 am
woozy wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:29 am Tangent:

So I'm curious about where most people learn of Burma Shave signs. What percentage was Mad Magazine and what percent was Warner Brothers cartoons? And given that no-one could possibly of learned of them from actual Burma Shave signs, what other sources are there.
I was a fan of both Mad and the Looney Tunes fare but my first exposure to Burma Shave signs was actually on the road to my great uncle’s farm in rural Ohio. There was a curvy stretch on the two lane blacktop near the farm that was perfect for those spaced signs with the clever reveal. Brings back some fond memories like the rolling hilly road home where my dad picked just the right speed to get us weightless at the top of each hill. Take that Bezos and Branson. Who needs your million dollar thrill trip?
Ahhh, the old "tickle bump". . .
mntlblok

Post by mntlblok »

mntlblok wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:03 pm
woozy wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:19 pm
mntlblok wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:56 pm
I tried Googling it "after the fact" with what I had decided were the "generalizations" from which I had earlier decided I wanted it boiled down from. Turns out that it made a huge difference whether I used "phrase", "quote", "idiom", or "aphorism" with my other terms. Three were useless. One brought up the meta answer as the first option. :-)
But with what keywords? That's what would have gotten me.
Well, dang! I'm trying to stay out of spoiler jail!
"Time and money" Googled with any but "idioms" (but not "idiom", it turns out) yields a bunch of "time is money" stuff, but no ADLAADS.
mntlblok

Post by mntlblok »

I'll never get this image stuff figgered out. :-(

https://www.google.com/search?q=time+an ... nt=gws-wiz
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

BEACHEDWHALE wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:16 am Oh great... I said "A DOLLAR SHORT AND A DAY LATE" ... Since the quarter clues started at the top of the puzzle I thought that was the start of the answer... Oh well, next time maybe...
If your name gets pulled from the hat, I think they will accept your answer.
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock: