"Double Trouble" - December 3, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
mattythewsjpuzzler

Post by mattythewsjpuzzler »

flyingMoose wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:21 pm
mattythewsjpuzzler wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:51 pm Still don't get the title unless the two clauses (?) in the answer. But that really doesn't help. Usually more directive.
This may just be my selective memory, but I most often find the title to be confirmation more than anything else. My selective memory or lack of skills to understand how to use the title.
Probably a bit of both agreed. But this one seemed so diametrically opposed to the theme/answers (to me) I kept trying to figure out what to double.
mntlblok

Post by mntlblok »

Susan Goldberg wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:02 pm I believe my notes illustrate the ridiculous overthinking in which I engaged on this one. Oh well.
Seems rather "standard" to me. :-)
mntlblok

Post by mntlblok »

HunterX wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:39 pm
JAQT wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:11 pm
michaelm wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:23 pm In that regard, I felt the "Double Trouble" puzzle title was a hint by indicating that two problems needed to be addressed in order to fully solve.
To me, "Double Trouble" was confirmation that ADLAADS was the correct answer. To me it indicated that you were in trouble in both of two ways, by being a day late and also by being a dollar short.
I believe it is both. It's a DOUBLE-hint!
Caused me to finally look at what ADLAADS actually says. It's overkill. Makes it a *really* nasty rebuke. Total humiliation. :-)
Abide

Post by Abide »

mattythewsjpuzzler wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:51 pm Still don't get the title unless the two clauses (?) in the answer. But that really doesn't help. Usually more directive.

This may just be my selective memory, …

Probably a bit of both agreed. But this one seemed so diametrically opposed to the theme/answers (to me) I kept trying to figure out what to double.
I’m with Matty on this. Especially when 25-Down (quarter reference) dealt with Olson twins and Geminis.
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

If any WSJ meta solvers are interested in trying out MGWCC, there's a great opportunity available now
Matt Gaffney wrote: Matt Gaffney's Weekly Crossword Contest

Know anyone who'd dig MGWCC? Let me know -- I have 20 free 3-month subscriptions to give away!

Dear MGWCC Solver,

Thanks to the generosity of two MGWCC superfans, I have 20 free three-month (Dec., Jan., Feb.) MGWCC subscriptions to give away this holiday season.

If you know a solver you think might like metas, please e-mail me at crosswordcontest@gmail.com. Please put "3-Month Subscription" in the subject line, and then their e-mail address and name in the e-mail, and I'll sign them up.

Thanks!

--Matt Gaffney
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

BarbaraK wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:58 am If any WSJ meta solvers are interested in trying out MGWCC, there's a great opportunity available now

Know anyone who'd dig MGWCC? Let me know -- I have 20 free 3-month subscriptions to give away!

Dear MGWCC Solver,

Thanks to the generosity of two MGWCC superfans, I have 20 free three-month (Dec., Jan., Feb.) MGWCC subscriptions to give away this holiday season.

If you know a solver you think might like metas, please e-mail me at crosswordcontest@gmail.com. Please put "3-Month Subscription" in the subject line, and then their e-mail address and name in the e-mail, and I'll sign them up.

Thanks!

--Matt Gaffney
Thanks for the heads up! Even though I have NO free time at the moment, I've submitted my name, because I'm a MWLM. (Masochist Who Loves Metas)

Or were you supposed to submit for me, based on the way it's worded? If so, PM me.

Wait... the MMMM just arrived! Work? What do you mean I have a ton of work to do for my "job"? I'm going to retire soon. Let 'em fire me...
Susan Goldberg

Post by Susan Goldberg »

Abide wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:39 am

I’m with Matty on this. Especially when 25-Down (quarter reference) dealt with Olson twins and Geminis.
Agree!
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

HunterX wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:11 pm
BarbaraK wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:58 am If any WSJ meta solvers are interested in trying out MGWCC, there's a great opportunity available now

Dear MGWCC Solver,

Thanks!

--Matt Gaffney
Thanks for the heads up! Even though I have NO free time at the moment, I've submitted my name, because I'm a MWLM. (Masochist Who Loves Metas)

Or were you supposed to submit for me, based on the way it's worded? If so, PM me.

Wait... the MMMM just arrived! Work? What do you mean I have a ton of work to do for my "job"? I'm going to retire soon. Let 'em fire me...
Cool! Welcome to another meta - and it's accompanying discussion board:)

The wording is awkward because it's just cut and pasted from the email Matt sent to his current subscribers. (Actually cut and pasted from Joe's post on the MGWCC board, which was cut and pasted from the email:)
flyingMoose

Post by flyingMoose »

Abide wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:39 am

Oh! That is one of the advantages of being of little talent - you don't see the rabbit holes that others see. :)
mindle

Post by mindle »

Thank you so much for sharing! I have been wanting to try this. I'm glad I visited the forum on a Tuesday :)

Dear MGWCC Solver,

Thanks!

--Matt Gaffney
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

I'm thinking this puzzle must have been inspired by Ms. Ada, on an occasion when her dad had to postpone his Friday puzzle to Saturday once again.
(And her allowance got docked.)
hoover

Post by hoover »

So I sat back down at my desk at 4:30 this afternoon after another ridiculously late lunch, noted the time, and said "Oh no! I missed the 3pm release of the meta!" Jumped onto the WSJ puzzles site, grabbed the topmost puzzle, and began to solve. Found it tough going, some 23 minutes and change (my usual is around 15). Got to the end, "Congratulations, you've solved the puzzle!" but no submit button. No instructions for a meta, either. ... Oh wait. Today is only Wednesday, and that was the Thursday puzzle, not the Friday contest puzzle. :oops:
JAQT

Post by JAQT »

hoover wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:27 pm So I sat back down at my desk at 4:30 this afternoon after another ridiculously late lunch, noted the time, and said "Oh no! I missed the 3pm release of the meta!" Jumped onto the WSJ puzzles site, grabbed the topmost puzzle, and began to solve. Found it tough going, some 23 minutes and change (my usual is around 15). Got to the end, "Congratulations, you've solved the puzzle!" but no submit button. No instructions for a meta, either. ... Oh wait. Today is only Wednesday, and that was the Thursday puzzle, not the Friday contest puzzle. :oops:
I've been there too! Or, accidentally clicked on the Saturday link on a Friday evening (I still blame that mistake on a slow loading WSJ page that popped up the link as I was clicking -- yeah, sure).
JustAQuickThought
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

You've described my existence: 22 1/2 hours early & mui tres too many 🧠 cells short, although I tend to do this with the "Saturday" WSJ Number Puzzles, which are posted on Thursday mornings. 🤔
escapeartist

Post by escapeartist »

hoover wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:27 pm So I sat back down at my desk at 4:30 this afternoon after another ridiculously late lunch, noted the time, and said "Oh no! I missed the 3pm release of the meta!" Jumped onto the WSJ puzzles site, grabbed the topmost puzzle, and began to solve. Found it tough going, some 23 minutes and change (my usual is around 15). Got to the end, "Congratulations, you've solved the puzzle!" but no submit button. No instructions for a meta, either. ... Oh wait. Today is only Wednesday, and that was the Thursday puzzle, not the Friday contest puzzle. :oops:
Just finished that one - tough but fun construction
* 2022 WSJ Mug Winner - I bask in its Glory *
BrianMac
Site Admin

Post by BrianMac »

:D
C=64

Post by C=64 »

I took a few weeks off from the WSJ puzzle and just now looked at this one. Solved in a Page 1 amount of time; I appreciate the unusual mechanism.