"Double Trouble" - December 3, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
woozy

Post by woozy »

Limerick Savant wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:20 am There was a curvy stretch on the two lane blacktop near the farm that was perfect for those spaced signs with the clever reveal.
You've triggered an ancient memory from 1972 driving through rural Utah and seeing a series of Burma Shave-esque signs with the punchline "Jesus Saves". My older sister may have been paying attention to the signs all along while I only noticed the last two because she pointed them out. My older sister, a sassy 12-year old from Berkeley California [realize this is the Berkeley of the 60s] was perplexed by the idea of an overtly religious advertisement. My mother tried to explain it was a play on Burma Shave signs but in my mother's unable to tell a joke way couldn't give an example of one or describe them in a way that made any sense.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
woozy

Post by woozy »

CPJohnson wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:29 am But how were we supposed to know to add the quarters together, and add the 8-hour segments together?
You weren't supposed to know it. You were expected to play around and guess it. That's why it's a puzzle and not a homework assignment.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

woozy wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:34 pm
CPJohnson wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:29 am But how were we supposed to know to add the quarters together, and add the 8-hour segments together?
You weren't supposed to know it. You were expected to play around and guess it. That's why it's a puzzle and not a homework assignment.
I think the OP meant, "what was the hint in the puzzle that indicated we should do that"?
Abide

Post by Abide »

Wendy Walker wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:48 pm
tmitchell300 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:46 pm I could defend it in a court of meta law, if such a thing existed.
Please don't give Peter @Abide any ideas.
I have been court-martialing DrTom all weekend with his up-and-coming MMM.
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
woozy

Post by woozy »

Dplass wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:45 pm
I think the OP meant, "what was the hint in the puzzle that indicated we should do that"?
I just meant there was no such hint. We had 3 eight hour shifts and had four clues with omitted quarters. We had to puzzle what to do with them. There was no need or expectation for any further hint. Four quarters *is* a dollar, and three groups of eight hours *is* 24 hours, and 24 hours *is* a day. There is no obligation for and so far as I can tell there was no further hint.
flyingMoose

Post by flyingMoose »

For me, I could not quite figure out what was going on with the "time" answers. Then the idiom came to me (that brain thing mentioned above?), and I was able to back-solve the grid and understand what was happening with the "mechanism."
MikeMillerwsj

Post by MikeMillerwsj »

The contest answer is A DAY LATE AND A DOLLAR SHORT. The three long theme answers are each eight hours “late” (from “midnight blue,” “High Noon” and “five o’clock shadow”) and four corner answers are missing a quarter (quarterBACKS, quarterFINALS, STATE quarter, FRENCH quarter). Those deficiencies add up to the contest answer.

Another lively turnout this week after a spell of tough ones: We had 1589 entries, with 85% guessing the clever solution (above our typical mark of 75%). A wide range of alternative seven-word answers, including I'M LATE FOR A VERY IMPORTANT DATE (7), EIGHT HOURS LATE AND A QUARTER SHORT (5), THE RIGHT PLACE AT THE WRONG TIME (4) and many many others.

Congrats to this week's winner: Monte Nussbaum of Oceanside, NY!
michaelm

Post by michaelm »

In that regard, I felt the "Double Trouble" puzzle title was a hint by indicating that two problems needed to be addressed in order to fully solve.
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

MikeMillerwsj wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:18 pm The contest answer is A DAY LATE AND A DOLLAR SHORT. The three long theme answers are each eight hours “late” (from “midnight blue,” “High Noon” and “five o’clock shadow”) and four corner answers are missing a quarter (quarterBACKS, quarterFINALS, STATE quarter, FRENCH quarter). Those deficiencies add up to the contest answer.

Another lively turnout this week after a spell of tough ones: We had 1589 entries, with 85% guessing the clever solution (above our typical mark of 75%). A wide range of alternative seven-word answers, including I'M LATE FOR A VERY IMPORTANT DATE (7), EIGHT HOURS LATE AND A QUARTER SHORT (5), THE RIGHT PLACE AT THE WRONG TIME (4) and many many others.

I can almost see Oceanside from my backyard! The mug, it's getting closer. I can feel it.
JAQT

Post by JAQT »

michaelm wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:23 pm
In that regard, I felt the "Double Trouble" puzzle title was a hint by indicating that two problems needed to be addressed in order to fully solve.
To me, "Double Trouble" was confirmation that ADLAADS was the correct answer. To me it indicated that you were in trouble in both of two ways, by being a day late and also by being a dollar short.
JustAQuickThought
mheberlingx100

Post by mheberlingx100 »

Dplass wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:29 pm
MikeMillerwsj wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:18 pm The contest answer is A DAY LATE AND A DOLLAR SHORT. The three long theme answers are each eight hours “late” (from “midnight blue,” “High Noon” and “five o’clock shadow”) and four corner answers are missing a quarter (quarterBACKS, quarterFINALS, STATE quarter, FRENCH quarter). Those deficiencies add up to the contest answer.

I can almost see Oceanside from my backyard! The mug, it's getting closer. I can feel it.
I actually had the honor of drinking coffee from my sister-in-law’s WSJ contest champion mug last month. She insisted that I pass through an X-ray machine as we left to make sure the mug didn’t leave with me.
Joepickett

Post by Joepickett »

I found it interesting that the Olsen Twins were once in a movie called, "Double, Double Toil and Trouble."
mntlblok

Post by mntlblok »

mntlblok wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:01 am Image

I'll never get this image stuff figgered out. :-(

https://www.google.com/search?q=time+an ... nt=gws-wiz
Dang. https://www.opploans.com/oppu/articles/money-idioms/
Susan Goldberg

Post by Susan Goldberg »

I believe my notes illustrate the ridiculous overthinking in which I engaged on this one. Oh well.
Attachments
5B1A4063-D5CE-46F0-9A97-9FF12DE0322A.jpeg
BrennerTJ

Post by BrennerTJ »

Screen Shot 2021-12-06 at 4.13.17 PM.png
Fun with solution spreadsheets.
-Tamara
mattythewsjpuzzler

Post by mattythewsjpuzzler »

Never got it. Literally worked till midnight. I think I have done so many of these that I always assume it is more complex. And to the best of my knowledge WSJ doesn't have a progressive system (i.e., harder as the month goes) so we never know is it easy or hard. Now we DO have muggles comments and rate of solve, but people think in different ways. Generally I find if someone gets it quickly they say it is easy. Opposite also true. Those are THE most frustrating part of seeing peoples comments. But of course I have done that many times as well so no complaint just frustration when you are on the other side.

To me my "complaints" (though not; really more sour grapes):
a. Still don't get the title unless the two clauses (?) in the answer. But that really doesn't help. Usually more directive. I was trying to think do we double something? If so what? Quarter? If you double all the quarter answers BTW that is a huge rabbit hole. Half back, half series (semis), French half (demi) etc.
b. I was obsessed with the "theme" answers and honestly did see four quarters is a dollar but the 3 were all time based. So I mentally thought that the "money" angle didn't align. I was thinking more clocks, and hands etc.
c. Eventually based on comments and people solving in every conceivable location realized it was more (my term) "language based" kept looking but just didn't see it.

I am approaching burn-out on meta's but sadly......MMMM tomorrow!
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

OK so back to an oft-posed question of late-why is the star rating system not working? "Rate the difficulty of the meta" still shows, but no stars. Is this a Safari issue?
flyingMoose

Post by flyingMoose »

mattythewsjpuzzler wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:51 pm Still don't get the title unless the two clauses (?) in the answer. But that really doesn't help. Usually more directive.
This may just be my selective memory, but I most often find the title to be confirmation more than anything else. My selective memory or lack of skills to understand how to use the title.
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

Streroto wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:06 pm OK so back to an oft-posed question of late-why is the star rating system not working? "Rate the difficulty of the meta" still shows, but no stars. Is this a Safari issue?
Joe answered the question back in post 276.

If you believe him, that is...
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

JAQT wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:11 pm
michaelm wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:23 pm In that regard, I felt the "Double Trouble" puzzle title was a hint by indicating that two problems needed to be addressed in order to fully solve.
To me, "Double Trouble" was confirmation that ADLAADS was the correct answer. To me it indicated that you were in trouble in both of two ways, by being a day late and also by being a dollar short.
I believe it is both. It's a DOUBLE-hint!