RIP Stephen Sondheim

A place to hang out, get to know other Muggles and discuss everything under the sun.
Al Sisti

RIP Stephen Sondheim

Post by Al Sisti »

Can't let the day go by without giving a heartfelt thank you to the absolutely brilliant Stephen Sondheim, who passed away yesterday at 91. His music and lyrics stand in a class all their own; breaking the rules and creating new ones (I think I read that Lin-Manuel Miranda cited him as an inspiration for his musicals). He also wrote one of my favorite whodunnits -- The Last of Sheila -- and we all probably know him too as a gifted cryptic setter. RIP, sir... may your memory and works stay with us forever.
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

Hear, hear, Al! My sister introduced me to his music when she was in high school in the 1970s, and I fell in love hard with Follies, Company, and A Little Night Music. Well I remember the time her Drama Club pal Bob Keilbaugh performed on over-the-top "Broadway Baby" while standing on the diving board at a party.
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
Meg

Post by Meg »

He was 26 when he wrote the lyrics for West Side Story.
I like the isle of Manhattan
Smoke on your pipe and put that in!
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Meg wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:10 am He was 26 when he wrote the lyrics for West Side Story.
Strangely enough, I watched "tick...tick...BOOM!" last night, based on Jonathan Larson's autobiographical musical, and Stephen Sondheim (someone playing him) was in it. And it also had a really cool scene in a song called "Sunday," with cameos from Lin-Manuel Miranda, Pippa Soo and Renee Elise Goldsberry (the Schuyler sisters from Hamilton), Chita Rivera, Joel Grey, Bernadette Peters, Adam Pascal, Bebe Neuwirth and more that I'm forgetting.
auee89

Post by auee89 »

Al Sisti wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:24 am
Meg wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:10 am He was 26 when he wrote the lyrics for West Side Story.
Strangely enough, I watched "tick...tick...BOOM!" last night, based on Jonathan Larson's autobiographical musical, and Stephen Sondheim (someone playing him) was in it. And it also had a really cool scene in a song called "Sunday," with cameos from Lin-Manuel Miranda, Pippa Soo and Renee Elise Goldsberry (the Schuyler sisters from Hamilton), Chita Rivera, Joel Grey, Bernadette Peters, Adam Pascal, Bebe Neuwirth and more that I'm forgetting.
We watched this as well on Saturday. Very cool. RIP Mr. Sondheim. Six by Sondheim is a fantastic documentary by HBO. Bought it and watched it many times.
Kevin
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

FWIW, Sondheim was not happy with any of those lyrics except for one or two songs (Jet song was one, I think). I can see why. A lot of them are no better than all right.
Jay
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

I am often on the verge of tears when I hear certain Sondheim songs, not because of the particular emotional content of the song, or not only because of that, but because it just gets to me that someone can do something so well. I haven't seen all his shows, but I am one of the few people who saw the original production of "Merrily." (I saw it in previews.)

Long ago, I constructed a crossword -- 15 x 15 with three 15-letter entries. The center one was STEPHEN SONDHEIM. I can't recall what the other two were. I sent it to the NYT. Will Shortz rejected it because (IIRC) it was not of sufficient general interest.
Jay
MikeM000

Post by MikeM000 »

Am I wrong in thinking that when I was a kid and had no idea of his importance to American culture, there was a big profile of him in GAMES Magazine centered on his love of puzzles and which included at least one crossword and other "variety puzzles" (to use the term from this board - dont' know if that is an industry standard term) that he created? And maybe he has had a couple crosswords published in the NYT since then? (Will Shortz was editor of GAMES back in the era I'd be talking about here, BTW.)
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

MikeM000 wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:56 am ... included at least one crossword and other "variety puzzles" (
The puzzles that he created for New York Magazine are here. http://blogfott.blogspot.com/2014/07/pu ... ether.html.
Jay
boharr

Post by boharr »

See the new Fill Me In. fmi323
MikeM000

Post by MikeM000 »

https://slate.com/culture/2021/12/steph ... story.html

(Nice article; Contains a link to the GAMES feature I mentioned above...)
SReh26

Post by SReh26 »

We loved West Side Story.

“Anita no. You should know better. You were in love. Or so you said…”