"Ball Control" - November 26, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Bill_Swerski_13

Post by Bill_Swerski_13 »

On shore! It's been a while... Agreed that it took me way longer than I thought it would at first.
doc1388

Post by doc1388 »

After flailing at sea Friday,
a bourbon aged stout was due.
What to say, all was not okay,
for the Meta in my mind was askew.

As I lay my head on the pillow,
a coveted mug I would so adore.
Alas the clue drifts into my head like a willow,
I can finally say ... "Ashore!"
KscX

Post by KscX »

Finally ashore! Patience brings success more often than not.
cheryl w

Post by cheryl w »

Ashore after several weeks on the beach. Loved the mechanism.

RTR!
Limerick Savant

Post by Limerick Savant »

Happy Thanksgiving to all you nice Muggles.

Solved and ashore as of early yesterday morning but I just realized that everything else I have to say this week is at least a very big nudge and potentially a

It’s been a challenging year but there is much to be thankful for including the nudges and coaching I have received here that have allowed me to tackle the meta more often than not. I may not be first down at the beach this week but then I wasn’t rushing to pass anyone on the way. All I can do is go forth, and long for the day that the trophy mug will be mine. When I reach that goal, post, I will, my mug shot sans face mask. For now I will just punt with this limerick.

Knowing the score
(Hint: It’s 7 points)

Once you iron out the grid, this week’s version
Will become a most welcome excursion
And you’ll find that the trick
To avoiding the kick
Is to make the suggested conversion

BTW, Go Bearcats!
Dedicated to no nonsense nonsense
kgiano

Post by kgiano »

Ashore
maprasad

Post by maprasad »

Ashore. Just started doing the puzzle again last week and I must say it was a very inauspicious return! ;) So glad to have this one solved and submitted! Thankful for this lovely group.
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

HunterX wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:48 am
Streroto wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:31 am Wow major major head slap. When I woke up this morning it was right there. So now I can post what I had been thinking about while LAS

There once was an old man on St John
Without a device which to print on
He copied the grid
The puzzle he did
In his email to Mike he said “hey mon!”

Deepest rabbit holes EVER
Stay well all
Agree with you and others on the deep rabbit hole. (Same one? Who knows!) My son and I started down one and quickly realized it was WAY too deep to be right. Quickly changed course and got the same head slap.

It's gotta be one of the standard hints for solving, at least for me. If you find yourself getting into a really deep rabbit hole, (especially those where a spreadsheet is involved), then you are probably on the wrong course. Either that or the puzzle constructor is a sadist who doesn't want anyone to solve their puzzles.
Yes a spreadsheet was very much involved and I agree completely!!
John77

Post by John77 »

On Shore.
I was going to say it breaks a long dry spell, but I didn't stop drinking.
Now it's time for a (this time celebratory) Tree House King Julius.
Sláinte!
Wir sind zu früh alt und zu spät schlau.
DianeA

Post by DianeA »

Well, someone has to stay with Isaac. I've tried to leave the ship, but am stuck at the bar (and NOT a sand bar). Thought i'd get it, have gone down multiple paths, but they all ended back here. Maybe at dinner i'll get another idea. Hope to have a happy update, later.
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

Sunday Evening Update / Final Manifest

We had a wonderful Muggle turnout on the shore this week: 197!

Arriving today were the Commodore (who will henceforth be assigned Apple Pie Duty -- gosh, but those looked delicious!), FKelly, Flying Burrito, Steve B, ISW, M and M, Bread-Girl, JJD, MLVILV, Jim & Anita, Ed Strong, Barney, Olaf, Joe S, M Flaminio, auee89, Bill Swerski13, doc1388, KscX, Cheryl W, Limerick Savant, KGiano, Maprasad, and John 77. Streroto made the swim to shore after previously declaring himself on the ship; the kindhearted Diane A is keeping barkeep Isaac company.

Cruise Director Bob will return for this coming week's WSJ Crossword Contest. It's been my pleasure to fill in for him! A reminder that the Muggles have a Zoom meetup on Tuesday at 7:30 p.m. EST -- all are welcome. Just click on the link at the top of this page, underneath Isaac's photo.
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
Relic

Post by Relic »

Hi everyone,

I was about to punt, pulled a fake and dove in. I am ashore, hoping it is the correct beach. Guess I'll find out in about 4 hours. Hopefully by then, I will not still be spitting out sea water!
Good luck to all for a successful solve. If you see that I'm ashore - rare occasion of late - message me if you'd like a nudge. Be sure to include your progress so I can know better how to assist.

Alan A. and Maggie Muggle
Cbaudhuin

Post by Cbaudhuin »

On shore as well.
Will sit back with a Moose drool and a bowl of popcorn and watch Columbo.
Ben B

Post by Ben B »

We are back on shore and it feels so good. We have been out of the game for several weeks due to work and school but Son took the bull by the horns tonight and made a solo solve. I’m hoping to have more time in the next weeks to jump back in the fun. I’ve missed being here.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Commodore wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:18 pm Solved, by gawd. Additional crew in port for the holiday, instrumental in the victory. Medals awarded posthaste.
Task complete, we can return to what is crucial. Adding ballast.
Piece o' leftover Apple Pie or Dutch Apple Pie?

IMG_6026.JPG
To heck with a mug, send me a PIE!!!
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Scott M wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:58 pm Since it's still Thanksgiving weekend, and I need a bit of humor after the debacle I witnessed at UVA's football game this afternoon, I offer my favorite seasonal cartoon

Well that's pretty fowl....
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Scott Lindholm

Post by Scott Lindholm »

Yeah, not even close again, BUT

Was traveling over Thanksgiving, bought this beer from the player who played the most games for the Bears. True story, Patrick Mannelly was their long snapper from 1998-2013, and this is his beer.
Attachments
F31F1DA9-ACDB-48B1-9F47-0491BBB80E93.jpeg
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Limerick Savant wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:35 pm Happy Thanksgiving to all you nice Muggles.

Solved and ashore as of early yesterday morning but I just realized that everything else I have to say this week is at least a very big nudge and potentially a

It’s been a challenging year but there is much to be thankful for including the nudges and coaching I have received here that have allowed me to tackle the meta more often than not. I may not be first down at the beach this week but then I wasn’t rushing to pass anyone on the way. All I can do is go forth, and long for the day that the trophy mug will be mine. When I reach that goal, post, I will, my mug shot sans face mask. For now I will just punt with this limerick.

Knowing the score
(Hint: It’s 7 points)

Once you iron out the grid, this week’s version
Will become a most welcome excursion
And you’ll find that the trick
To avoiding the kick
Is to make the suggested conversion

BTW, Go Bearcats!
I didn't see anything brushing up against a spoiler, above. Someone argued that "conversion" in the post suggested "Fourth Down," but a conversion involves getting a first down, or 'conversion' to a first down, where "to a first down" is implied. Although rarely said, first, second, and third downs are 'converted' to first downs. "Fourth down conversions (to first downs)" are rare, since a vast majority of fourth downs involve punting or attempting field goals rather than attempting to convert to first downs or touchdowns. "Third down conversion rates" are sometimes dicussed as measures of success for teams' offenses.

Apologies for the sportsing details, but this post was reported & its author also felt it might have contained a spoiler.
Relic

Post by Relic »

First successful meta in a month. Sunday morning I was ready to punt and for the first time asked for a nudge. I had been chasing "team player" thinking a player name from each team was hidden in the grid. 2 hours later I abandoned that idea.

I thought "fourth down" was significant but misapplied it twice, thinking it was an empty rabbit hole.

I then started chasing "itals" thinking Mike was pulling another pronunciation/phonetics play. After another fruitless hour, I wanted to call it,

but hell no

I came back to fourth down in desperation at 8:30 ET and got it right - I had earlier tried to apply the letters in grid order and got H-E-L-D-N-R-A. Ugh!

I thought what if I take the letters in visual order fro left to right, and VOILA!

This was a sneaky medium-difficult puzzle because of the red herrings.

Thankful for this group. I hope you guys have a great week. See you next weekend!
Good luck to all for a successful solve. If you see that I'm ashore - rare occasion of late - message me if you'd like a nudge. Be sure to include your progress so I can know better how to assist.

Alan A. and Maggie Muggle