MEOW #52: You Are In A Maze Of Twisty Little Passages, All Alike

A weekly meta crossword on the forum started by member Josh (aka madhatter5). These puzzles are often very creative with solving mechanisms out of the norm and skewing towards the more challenging. Puzzles are posted every Wednesday, and the solution appears the following Tuesday.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Dplass wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:42 pm I have no idea what this is about. Sigh.
Sorry about that. There will be some nudges coming at some point.
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Here's the list of solvers so far:

oldjudge
hoover
Schmeel
RPardoe
Cindy Weatherman
Meg
Boharr
whimsy
lbray53
Darth
Hector
BrennerTJ
Jeremy Smith
Carolyn
LuckyGuest
Kay W
Bird Lives
LB800
Cap'n'Rick
HeadingHome
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

benchen71 wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:59 pm
Dplass wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:42 pm I have no idea what this is about. Sigh.
Sorry about that. There will be some nudges coming at some point.
No worries, I know it's not Saturday yet. :)
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

Submitted and confirmed. Thanks for the puzzle!
Cinny

Post by Cinny »

Very interesting puzzle. Solved and confirmed.
Cindy Heisler
woozy

Post by woozy »

Is this a story most of us are supposed to know? I've heard of the author but not the story but google is your friend.

And that is a good picture of the story.
I guess I should change my signature, and start promoting this meta: Hungry Little Creature. I was going to sent it to people for testing but I dropped the ball on it.
MarkWoychick
Site Admin

Post by MarkWoychick »

I’ve got the grid and 23A. Not familiar enough with author or stories to do more than guess at this point and all have been incorrect. Perhaps a typo and/or a title variation. Working on what to do next…

[edit] OK, I have the confirmation now via Crosshare….and some help from @benchen71 - thanks, Ben, and thanks for the puzzle!
Last edited by MarkWoychick on Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 contest-style (meta) crosswords that we've created to help raise money for cancer-related organizations - get the bundle at http://crosswordsforcancer.com
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

MarkWoychick wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:57 pm I’ve got the grid and 23A. Not familiar enough with author or stories to do more than guess at this point and all have been incorrect. Perhaps a typo and/or a title variation. Working on what to do next…
If you don't know the short story in question straight away - and it is not a well-known story, so this will be almost everyone - I was anticipating that you would use Google. And you can PM me with your answer, if you think Crosshare is failing you!
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

woozy wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:17 pm And that is a good picture of the story.
I feel dense for not having noticed that, but now that you point it out. . .
Jay
MamaE

Post by MamaE »

Excellent! Cat out of the bag. Nicely done :)
- Just puzzling it out here in Delmarva :D
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

An update to the list of solvers:

Cinny
Kochmanski
Gutman
dplass
woozy
MamaE
MarkWoychick

My puzzle was not featured on Crosshare this week, so I think that's kept the numbers down a little.
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

Whoa, this was cool.
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

The cat has been out of the bag for a couple of days. I thought I had submitted my answer, but apparently had not. Discovered that little detail a few minutes ago and corrected. Just got confirmation.
Great Puzzle!
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Four more solvers!

em
CPJohnson
SewYoung
markhr
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Saturday is nudges day for MEOWs. Well, it has been Saturday here in Australia for 16 hours, so that's good enough for me!

1. Something very strange is going on with these clues. Yes, that's right: I've given you all of the answers! Except one, and you only get one interlocking letter for that one. You will, in fact, need to solve the meta in order to complete that last entry!

2. When you look at the grid for the first time, you might miss a couple of areas that are slightly different to the rest. These areas will become important, but you might still need to understand the rest of the grid first.

3. Some might recognise the story immediately. If not, you will need to use Google. Think of the puzzle as providing you with the relevant search terms. Getting the name of the story will then reveal the author.

4. Once you identify the story, click here to read it - it's really not very long! This will explain the unusual grid.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Two more solvers:

Totally the real and not fake Benchen71
MaineMarge
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

One more solver:

Tyrpmom
Abide

Post by Abide »

;) Solved via MamaE
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

I know it's a bit early, but otherwise I will forget! Here's the solution to "You Are In A Maze Of Twisty Passages, All Alike":

You Are In A Maze Of Twisty Little Passages All Alike (solution).png

There really wasn't that much to it. You just had to "understand" the grid by identifying all of the "labyrinth"s. Once you did that, the bits that didn't fit become clear. My intention was that you would "solve" the upper half first. Then, when you follow "labyrinth" down into the lower half, you would sort of know what to expect. (However, if you didn't choose to go left at that initial choice, then you would be in trouble!)

At that point, unless you happen to know the story, you would need to do a Google using the search terms provided by the grid: "two kings labyrinth". And the story and author would be revealed, allowing you to fill in the last entry in the grid: JORGE LUIS BORGES.

The story is worth reading, if you haven't already. And it's very short:
It is said by men worthy of belief (though Allah’s knowledge is greater) that in the first
days there was a king of the isles of Babylonia who called together his architects and
his priests and bade them build him a labyrinth so confused and so subtle that the
most prudent men would not venture to enter it, and those who did would lose their
way. Most unseemly was the edifice that resulted, for it is the prerogative of God, not
man, to strike confusion and inspire wonder. In time there came to the court a king of
Arabs, and the king of Babylonia (to mock the simplicity of his guest) bade him enter
the labyrinth, where the king of Arabs wandered, humiliated and confused, until the
coming of the evening, when he implored God’s aid and found the door. His lips offered
no complaint, though he said to the king of Babylonia that in his land he had another
labyrinth, and Allah willing, he would see that someday the king of Babylonia made its
acquaintance. Then he returned to Arabia with his captains and his wardens and he
wreaked such havoc upon kingdoms of Babylonia, and with such great blessing by
fortune, that he brought low his castles, crushed his people, and took the king of
Babylonia himself captive. He tied him atop a swift-footed camel and led him into the
desert. Three days they rode, and then he said to him, “O king of time and substance
and cipher of the century! In Babylonia didst thou attempt to make me lose my way in
a labyrinth of brass with many stairways, doors, and walls; now the Powerful One has
seen fit to allow me to show thee mine, which has no stairways to climb, nor walls to
impede thy passage.”

Then he untied the bonds of the king of Babylonia and abandoned him in the middle of
the desert, where he died of hunger and thirst. Glory to him who does not die.
My thanks to madhatter5 for the forum swap. It has been fun!