#703 - “Deciphering Contest”

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
spotter

Post by spotter »

I submitted, and landed on the board. And now I've been taken off the board ?????????????
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

Andrew Bradburn wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 3:34 pm I can think of an easy way to assemble an odds on incorrect answer. There are several ways to combine the titles of three Tom Hanks films to amount to 23 total letters. Not a ton, but several. It is worrisome to hear that many who got this right still weren't sure about their three answers before submitting, and had to sleep on it. I guess anytime Matt is looking for THREE things in the solution, the chances of one of them being wrong is much higher than if he were just looking for one.

Have tried a whole bunch of things to decipher this puzzle, but nothing so far. I may end up just submitting one of my 23 letter sols and see if I can win the T-Hanks-giving lottery.
I also have 3 or 4 (or 5) various combos that just happen to add up to the 23 letters, but no justification for pretty much any of the choices involved.

I got WALDO, so I'm hoping the fact that I don't have an ADA interrupting my sleep helps me get this one over the next day or two.

:)
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
patpatchica

Post by patpatchica »

Is there ever any collaborative effect to solve here like there is for the WSJ meta? Just wondering!
Overthinking is my super power. 8-)
MMe

Post by MMe »

Andrew Bradburn wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 3:34 pm There are several ways to combine the titles of three Tom Hanks films to amount to 23 total letters. Not a ton, but several.
If 4000 is several, then yes.
Dannyvee

Post by Dannyvee »

I am beamed up but I’m pretty sure I’m missing something 🤷🏻‍♂️
I can be found in Sheridan, NY, veejaying. (8)
patpatchica

Post by patpatchica »

patpatchica wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:53 pm Is there ever any collaborative effect to solve here like there is for the WSJ meta? Just wondering!
Edit: I cannot so far find any mechanism to solving this other than educated guesses. I’ve also yet to see anyone mention a solid click to get this. So, I’m lost.

Edit again: Can anyone tell I’m new? Now I know precisely how to edit and not reply to myself. Although I do frequently talk to myself. :lol:
Leslie

Post by Leslie »

I feel sure that I’ve followed the correct path to one of the answers (and maaaybe a second). But no click at all for the rest, just educated guesses
NoFeetMcGee

Post by NoFeetMcGee »

Leslie wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:10 pm I feel sure that I’ve followed the correct path to one of the answers (and maaaybe a second). But no click at all for the rest, just educated guesses
This is the same exact spot I'm in. Great click for one answer, really unsure about others and feel I must be missing something...
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

Something I noticed earlier (for once) turned out to be relevant. Another, "Wow, how did Matt pull it off?" situation. (T. Hanks for the puzzle!)
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 92. It's a Breeze
bodhipepper

Post by bodhipepper »

Pretty confident I'm 2/3 of the way there. Anyone willing to message me to offer what's hopefully a final nudge? Thanks!
Guffman

Post by Guffman »

Thanksgiving is drawing nigh and I'm nowhere on this one. If someone has even a "first step" nudge, it would sure be appreciated.
CrossedPurposes

Post by CrossedPurposes »

I would also appreciate a nudge. I have a couple first steps that haven't led anywhere productive.
HoldThatThought

Post by HoldThatThought »

Does the solution require even the scantest knowledge of T. Hanks filmography? I may be outing myself as un-American, but I'm honestly not a fan, and the most basic of Hanks trivia is pretty much unknown to me. Obviously, I can look through lists of his movies, but I'm being fully honest when I say that I don't know what the name of his character was, what he did for living, or the cute thing he did when he first met Sally.

Thanks to the next commenter for a response to my query.

P.S. Lest anyone really think I'm totally clueless (Also not a Tom Hanks movie), I was mocking my Hankian ignorance with a reference to When Harry Met Sally, which I do realize stars alternative wonderful nice guy, B. Crystal.
Last edited by HoldThatThought on Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

HoldThatThought wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:06 pm Does the solution require even the scantest knowledge of T. Hanks filmography? I may be outing myself as un-American, but I'm honestly not a fan, and the most basic of Hanks trivia is pretty much unknown to me. Obviously, I can look through lists of his movies, but I'm being fully honest when I say that I don't know what the name of his character was, what he did for living, or the cute thing he did when he first met Sally.
Answered in a PM
Verisimilitude

Post by Verisimilitude »

Tricky. But on the board!
Leslie

Post by Leslie »

I was pretty sure I had finally gotten the “click.” But I was wrong. I liked my answer though. Curious to see what the correct answer is.
Orsys

Post by Orsys »

With a generous nudge, I got there.
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

I have what I'm fairly sure is Step One. But what that gives me is a bunch of letters that don't add up to 23 and don't spell anything.
Jay
patpatchica

Post by patpatchica »

After I submitted, I got the message that submissions are now closed. Is that just automatic for anything after the normal submission time on Tuesday? I saw we had until Wednesday noon for this one.
Thurman8er

Post by Thurman8er »

Count me among those who had to wait to see if my answer was correct, something I haven't done in a while. Still, I was 90% sure.

Happy to wake up this morning and see my name on the Big Board.