#703 - “Deciphering Contest”

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
LesY

Post by LesY »

I felt better about the 3 movies once I realized “DaVinci”— and “Contest” in the title — would fit the pattern. (I told my co-solver it was a “DaVinci Contest.”) And it takes a “BIG” splash to actually empty a pool. Perhaps took that too literally but it gave me enough of a click to submit at #9.

All that being said, I think Matt’s generosity and latitude in accepting additional answers are quite appropriate, as well as in keeping with the season.

Happy Thanksgiving all!
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

I included "pool emptier" in my submission comment (Splash, Philadelphia, and Sully - I went for one-word titles, based on nothing) but as of now I don't have credit for solving. I'm undecided about whether to email; probably it doesn't count since I didn't realize that a BIG splash was needed to empty the pool!
KayW

Post by KayW »

Laura M wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:22 pm I included "pool emptier" in my submission comment (Splash, Philadelphia, and Sully - I went for one-word titles, based on nothing) but as of now I don't have credit for solving. I'm undecided about whether to email; probably it doesn't count since I didn't realize that a BIG splash was needed to empty the pool!
It's your call of course, but Matt did say:

I’m going to give credit to anyone who got as far as POOL EMPTIER, whether or not they ultimately chose “The Da Vinci Code.”

He didn't say explicitly that you had to get as far as BIG SPLASH. IMO it doesn't hurt to ask...
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.