"I Spy" - November 19, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Barney

Post by Barney »

zach wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:03 am
Joe Ross wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:17 am oof
MikeMillerwsj wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 4:28 pm The contest answer is CLOWN. We had 508 entries, and just 48% were correct
10-29-21: 508 x 48% = 244 correct submissions
MikeMillerwsj wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:45 am The contest answer is BOOK TOUR. We had just 387 brave entrants, and only about 53% of them were correct.
11-05-21: 387 x 53% = 205 correct submissions
MikeMillerwsj wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 12:54 pm The contest answer is SCOOP. We had just 361 entries and slightly less than 1/3 correct
11-12-21: 361 x 33% = 119 correct submissions
MikeMillerwsj wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:41 am The contest answer is WALDO. We had 511 entries, with about 42% correct
11-19-21: 511 x 42% = 215 correct submissions
In February, when the WSJ was doing the contest tutorial, the average number of submissions each week for those four puzzles was 3,556. For the last four weeks it was 8x fewer than that, with an average of just 442 submissions. While I personally have loved the mental challenges of recent weeks, I wonder to what extent this string of contests has abandoned some of the audience, and I wonder if that even matters (does anyone actually subscribe to the WSJ just for Friday puzzles?).
Puzzles don’t require a subscription.
femullen

Post by femullen »

zach wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:03 am ...
In February, when the WSJ was doing the contest tutorial, the average number of submissions each week for those four puzzles was 3,556. For the last four weeks it was 8x fewer than that, with an average of just 442 submissions. While I personally have loved the mental challenges of recent weeks, I wonder to what extent this string of contests has abandoned some of the audience, and I wonder if that even matters (does anyone actually subscribe to the WSJ just for Friday puzzles?).
We've even seen a few Muggles opt out of our friendly chattering club due to the difficulty of the past few weeks. I might do it myself except that it's been so many years since I served in a ship that I enjoy bobbing around with Isaac. Back when I was at sea, there was no booze.

I'm sure, though, that our Metameisters understand that there's a balance to strike between the joy of creating puzzles that only a Jedi can solve and the commercial imperative of market volume. I don't know to what extent the weekly crossword contest contributes to WSJ revenue, but you can bet that if no one submitted a solution each week, the feature would be discontinued. How close the number can approach zero and still maintain editorial support is an experiment no one wants performed.

So, I anticipate smoother seas ahead. If not, Isaac still pours a mean Budweiser.
For nudges, feel free to PM me. I won't have a clue how to help you, but you might shove me ashore.
Kas

Post by Kas »

BethA wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:06 amKas 5
Yep.
BethA

Post by BethA »

It depends what you mean by CLOSE. With over 5 pages of scribbling, I was nowhere close to bringing the colorful broken objects at the outer edges of the grid (or OLEO) into focus. So for me this was a Kas 5.

In order for me to move on, I’ll do a quick “confession”. Also for your possible amusement and/or schadenfreude.

So I considered that CLOSE might mean only changing 1 letter, and getting a word that goes with SPY from the title.

gRass -> gLass
caB -> caM
rOses -> rUses
sNow -> sHow
Dory -> STory

2 out of 5 — SPYGLASS and SPYCAM (ding-ding-ding!) surely I’m on the right meta trail! Others not so clicky, but wait. The letters changed TO don’t make anything, but the letters changed FROM are R-BOND. BOND?!!! As in SPY? Wow. Now feels like 4 out of 5!

But that pesky R! Research shows that there was a character called R in Bond movies, played by John Cleese, before he moved on to Q. Other research shows that of all the actors who played Bond, the only one with an R initial is Roger Moore. So I sent in Roger Moore as my guess, even though it didn’t seem right. At least I could come up with some mechanism, kinda.

The past 4 contests, I missed CLOWN, SCOOP, and WALDO, but managed to get on the BOOK TOUR. Looking forward to joining the shore party again real soon!

We’ll be trotting with the turkeys tomorrow morning 🦃 🏃🏻‍♀️ 🏃🏽‍♂️, enjoying a peaceful T-day dinner later, and on Friday, rooting on the Bearcats on TV. Difficult or easy, many of us are thankful for WSJ meta crossword puzzles! Wishing everyone a great holiday weekend!!!
femullen

Post by femullen »

BethA wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:41 am

So I considered that CLOSE might mean only changing 1 letter, and getting a word that goes with SPY from the title.

gRass -> gLass
caB -> caM
rOses -> rUses
sNow -> sHow
Dory -> STory

2 out of 5 — SPYGLASS and SPYCAM (ding-ding-ding!) surely I’m on the right meta trail! Others not so clicky, but wait. The letters changed TO don’t make anything, but the letters changed FROM are R-BOND. BOND?!!! As in SPY? Wow. Now feels like 4 out of 5!

But that pesky R! Research shows that there was a character called R in Bond movies, played by John Cleese, before he moved on to Q. Other research shows that of all the actors who played Bond, the only one with an R initial is Roger Moore. So I sent in Roger Moore as my guess, even though it didn’t seem right. At least I could come up with some mechanism, kinda.
This is as convoluted as some of the stuff I regularly do. I remember a meta where the answer was "a US president." Well, didn't I find some grid answers with an Ohio nexus, and a veiled pointer to the birthplace of U.S. Grant. Could there be a surer "US" president? Hence my confident answer.

Blaaaaamp! Wrong again.
For nudges, feel free to PM me. I won't have a clue how to help you, but you might shove me ashore.
JennyByrd

Post by JennyByrd »

I do subscribe to the mainly WSJ for the puzzles - originally for the cryptic, but now for the metas. I subscribe to other papers for the news, but WSJ’s puzzles are my favorites. (Aside: It’s been some time since I’ve seen a cryptic, so not sure what is up there.) These puzzles have been a gift to me during and after the dark days of the pandemic.
iggystan

Post by iggystan »

Those disturbing percentages for the last four weeks, coupled with the last two MMMM puzzles, almost have me throwing in the towel. I enjoy filling in the grid, which usually doesn't pose any problems, but I hate agonizing over finding the meta solutions. I want a challenge, but don't want to stare at the puzzle for days on end. I commend those of you who get the solutions; sometimes I believe it might have to do with brain wiring/personality type.
Richard

Post by Richard »

Will we be on normal schedule this week? New puzzle on Thursday Thanksgiving.

Thanks
flyingMoose

Post by flyingMoose »

JennyByrd wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:36 pm I subscribe to other papers for the news ...
Interesting. I subscribe to the WSJ for its journalism. The puzzles, book reviews, and other items are a pleasant addition.
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

I've been a print subscriber to the paper since the early 1980s. The puzzle is a nice addition.

The Off Duty section is almost immediately thrown into one of our three birds' cages.
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
cbarbee002

Post by cbarbee002 »

Anyone know if there will be a “Friday puzzle” out later today? Perhaps it was discussed in an earlier post that I missed.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

cbarbee002 wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:30 am Anyone know if there will be a “Friday puzzle” out later today? Perhaps it was discussed in an earlier post that I missed.
In previous years, it’s come out at 4 EST as usual.
Annabelle

Post by Annabelle »

21 Thanksgiving display 2.jpg
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

BethA wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:41 am We’ll be trotting with the turkeys tomorrow morning 🦃 🏃🏻‍♀️ 🏃🏽‍♂️, enjoying a peaceful T-day dinner later, and on Friday, rooting on the Bearcats on TV. Difficult or easy, many of us are thankful for WSJ meta crossword puzzles! Wishing everyone a great holiday weekend!!!
Wishing you were here: