"I Spy" - November 19, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Eric Porter

Post by Eric Porter »

On shore with some help. I should have realized that my earlier approach wasn't exactly it.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

On shore, and not submitting because I needed MASSIVE help. I thought I had the MX at about 3 minutes into the puzzle and then spent 2 days not getting anywhere. Finally I had to send up a flare and of course the answer was VERY evident. I may neve get ot be really good at these because I am not imaginative enough I am afraid.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Katiedid

Post by Katiedid »

Oh well. Not getting it. Maybe next week.
PQ63

Post by PQ63 »

Ashore! It’s been awhile. Keep trying. This one is totally solvable.

Grey Goose Martini!
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

I threw in my Hail Mary guess. Weak support for it, so probably not close enough to count for anything.

For the official count, I am still at sea.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Good evening muggles

Our final count is 70 on the ship and 61 on the shore. A tough week for all and I suspect that the WSJ count will be quite low.

Since lunch we have added the following to the week long party on the ship

rexthree
CaptainVideo
KaiS
CallMeShane
maprasad
Isw
Puzzle mom
Barbara K
Fred
Katiedid
Miki
LittleGood

And the Coast Guard has made sure that these muggles got to shore safely

Susan G
Kay
cinny
EVJ
Richard
Lube On
Secret Adversary
ZooAnimalsOnWheels
Gman
Cap'n Rick
woozy
Eric P
ladybird
DrTom
Hammertime

Have a safe week and Happy Thanksgiving.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

Officially calling it quits.
Yup -- Time to say goodnight -- Slip into jammies, robe and -- Hey! Where'd the other one go?!
Capturebunnyspy.PNG
PQ63

Post by PQ63 »

By the way, what happened to the 5 star rating system? It’s not showing up on my phone. I’d give this one ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️.
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

DrTom wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:29 pm I may neve get ot be really good at these because I am not imaginative enough I am afraid.
Not imaginative! Says the king of puns!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

LadyBird wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:29 pm
DrTom wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:29 pm I may neve get ot be really good at these because I am not imaginative enough I am afraid.
Not imaginative! Says the king of puns!
Oh, I can spin a pun, but I can's pin how may of these are spun. I find myself relying on the ways things HAVE been done as opposed to how they might have been done. I'm sure it is an occupational hazard, nobody wants to hear me say. "what the heck let's try this!" :D
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

Oleo wasn’t always yellow. It was white, white as a dove, and it still would be if not for artificial color. Buy until the lthe mid-20th century, many states had laws prohbiting manufacturers from adding color that would make oleo look like butter. Pressure from the dairy industry.

So manufacturers packaged oleo with DIY coloring – a small blob of red dye which you would knead into the margarine while it was still in its plastic bag, and gradually, the white oleo would become yellow.
oleo.png
Jay
PQ63

Post by PQ63 »

Once I saw Wasabi I was off to the races.
BethA

Post by BethA »

Kas 5
escapeartist

Post by escapeartist »

oof
* 2022 WSJ Mug Winner - I bask in its Glory *
JRS51

Post by JRS51 »

Very nice! I think this one was very clever!
I did not solve; sometimes when I’m stumped I wait for the answer and I just shake my head or I need to read the solution several times before it even makes sense. This one makes me smile with appreciation of the skill of the constructor. Well done!
FrancesY

Post by FrancesY »

I can’t believe I didn’t see this. I think the past few weeks set my mind to expect a more impossible puzzle every week. Also couldn’t get past blue Vishnu, green seedlings, red cab….
Last edited by FrancesY on Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

DOVE was standing out to me, then APPLE, at which point I started hunting for the others. WASABI quickly surrendered, then LAKE.

my wife found OLEO for me, and I had to lecture her about the various Supreme Court Commerce Clause cases where OLEO was forbidden by various state laws to be yellow, and was sold with dye packs. I also emailed Matt G about that earlier this afternoon - that it wasn't a pure yellow answer, but understandable to non-lawyers.

WHERE'S WALDO? EVERYWHERE.
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
woozy

Post by woozy »

LadyBird wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:57 pm
Personally, I liked my rabbit hole mechanism better.
I like my rabbit hole better too.

GRASS is close to GLASS as in spy-GLASS and CAB is close to CAM as in spy-CAM and ..... DORY is close to STORY (is it?) as in spy-STORY (um, is that a thing?) and SNOW is close to SHOW as in spy-SHOW (oh, come on, now you're just making stuff up) and ROSES is close to ..... not a damned thing.

And I had another rabbit hole:

SNOWden is a famous spy, and ROSENbergs were famous spies (uh, it was an S- not an N {Oh, shut up}) and GREENhall was another (um, GREEN was the clue-- GRASS was what you need to work with {I thought I I told you to shut up})

Now neither of those worked but it's conceivable that we could make a puzzle with that mechanism. And how cool a puzzle would that be?
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.