"I Spy" - November 19, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Bird Lives wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:03 am Oleo wasn’t always yellow. It was white, white as a dove, and it still would be if not for artificial color. Buy until the lthe mid-20th century, many states had laws prohbiting manufacturers from adding color that would make oleo look like butter. Pressure from the dairy industry.

So manufacturers packaged oleo with DIY coloring – a small blob of red dye which you would knead into the margarine while it was still in its plastic bag, and gradually, the white oleo would become yellow.
oleo.png
But OIL is yellow - new engine oil or Wesson oil. Which was my first answer after I got WALD and was looking for an O but @Abide told me I was in error.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
KscX

Post by KscX »

Key to my solve was shading all the theme “I Spy” answers in. Seeing the symmetry of the answers and the consistent order of the clues and colors helped me stick to the same color idea. Took a nap, woke up, scanned the grid and saw DO VE. Immediately looked at the corresponding position of AP PLE on the right side and knew I was in. Because of the symmetry I knew exactly where to look for WASABI and LAKE, with OLEO popping out because it was the only postition that would fit the symmetry pattern.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

By the way, this meta was in honor of our Maine muggles. Waldo is a county in Maine and Waldoboro is a town in Maine.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
SusieG

Post by SusieG »

I never did come back to the meta after Sunday morning. I showed my husband while we ate breakfast. He suggested a mechanism which was the solution, but we never saw it. I said “I’m going to submit Waldo.” We went on with our day and I was so tired that I forgot to submit. But I never feel right about submitting guesses anyway.

I agree that it’s a clever puzzle and feel bad I never solved.
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

Other bits and pieces in addition to those mentioned --

SWARD and PASTURE jumping out near GRASS
CABOOSE near ROSES
SHIVERING near SNOW
OAR near DORY

I also wanted to discover more "temperature" words as they're used to direct in a guessing game -- "getting close(r)" --
WARM above GRASS, HOT across ROSES, COLD across DORY.

Another parallel in the actual answer --
I SPY and WALDO are most likely both books found on the Gaffney household shelf.
TeaJenny

Post by TeaJenny »

Wrong beach, again! I came up with CLARK KENT. I'm thinking now that was the red herring others have mentioned. Admittedly, some of my substitutions were a stretch, including an esoteric spelling of KATSUP. We're traveling to visit family for Thanksgiving, so I went with it and submitted what I had to leave more time for packing.

Kudos to everyone who solved it!
Attachments
PXL_20211120_232520016.jpg
You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me. ~C.S. Lewis
Omnibus

Post by Omnibus »

Abide

Post by Abide »

This was a “magic eye” type gimmick that you either see in a few minutes or you don’t. (It may have helped me to be part of the solution). Even when I had all 5, I spent at least 30 minutes working with permutations of the “close” entries. (ABIPLE etc)

I’m still not sure why the color clues shouldn’t have the close tags. If you are trying to spy a lake, asking “is it blue” is close. Asking if it’s on a fish poster is “No”.
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
Hidden in 3D

Post by Hidden in 3D »

Did anyone else notice 31D in today's WSJ puzzle? Surely Editor Mike is not taunting us Muggles who haven't solved the latest bunch of metas?!
Sara
Colin

Post by Colin »

My apples are green,
And my doves always a gray,
What is oleo!?!?
One world. One planet. One future.
flyingMoose

Post by flyingMoose »

TeamDoubleTow wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:20 am
mheberlingx100 wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:58 am I got hung up on the “getting closer” parts of the clues. I was maybe too focused on that. Having seen the answer, I really don’t understand how the second answer for each color is closer than the first.
I did the same thing but the clue says "you're getting close" not "closer." So you might say that having both words helps you get close.
But the clues do not say that- one clue says you are getting close, but both the "No" clue and the "close" clue are equidistant from the grid entry one is supposed to find. I am with @mheberlingx100 on this one. I find this a significant hole in the mechanism.

I will quickly admit that these metas are a diversion, an amusement for me. They are not an avocation. I have little standing to file a complaint.
Deb F

Post by Deb F »

Nope. Didn't see it, despite looking for other things that could be the colors--in the clues and the grid. Never connected. Story of my meta life--especially these last weeks.

Congrats to the smart ones of us who got it. Once again, Happy Thanksgiving, Muggles.
sphorning

Post by sphorning »

Did think "you're getting close" could mean the letters next to the words, but never that they could mean the next letters over! Also tried to get colored items out of the answers: got bus from anagraming sun/cab for yellow. That didn't work either... Kas 5.
ship4u

Post by ship4u »

My first search for colors was a straightforward rabbit hole.
urea = yellow
vein = red
myst = blue
opiate = white
seedlings = green
Thanks to my muggle friends for pointing my head in the right direction!
Don & Cynthia

We are always happy to get to know other muggles and help in any way! PM's are always welcome. The next best thing to winning a mug is helping a fellow muggle win a mug!
Barney

Post by Barney »

femullen wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:02 amWhat's wasabi?
A viciously hot horseradish paste cut with soy sauce to taste for sushi.

I.e., one horror on top of another. :|
Gman

Post by Gman »

KscX wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:44 am Key to my solve was shading all the theme “I Spy” answers in. Seeing the symmetry of the answers and the consistent order of the clues and colors helped me stick to the same color idea. Took a nap, woke up, scanned the grid and saw DO VE. Immediately looked at the corresponding position of AP PLE on the right side and knew I was in. Because of the symmetry I knew exactly where to look for WASABI and LAKE, with OLEO popping out because it was the only postition that would fit the symmetry pattern.
I would have done the same, except I spelled VEIN as VAIN (karma?) and could not for the life of me figure out what to do with DOVA! 😳
Mugless

Post by Mugless »

Lurked here for a while. Here's my latest rabbit hole. I saw the theme - Spy. Oops (not I). Nine of the ten spy clues are fill in the blank, so I tossed Dory. The nine blank clue answers (Jade, Grass, etc.) all contain a letter of the name of that most famous spy, Bond. James Bond. After a few years of trying these metas, I think I've gotten one right. So my average must be .007.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Mugless wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:15 pm Lurked here for a while. Here's my latest rabbit hole. I saw the theme - Spy. Oops (not I). Nine of the ten spy clues are fill in the blank, so I tossed Dory. The nine blank clue answers (Jade, Grass, etc.) all contain a letter of the name of that most famous spy, Bond. James Bond. After a few years of trying these metas, I think I've gotten one right. So my average must be .007.
Welcome!
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

I mentioned the year, earlier, but the September 21, 2018, puzzle: BOUND FOR SPACE — JUMPS — by MIKE SHENK AS MARIE KELLY used the jump-over-blank-space mechanism. There may be others.
docison

Post by docison »

Joe Ross wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:33 pm I mentioned the year, earlier, but the September 21, 2018, puzzle: BOUND FOR SPACE — JUMPS — by MIKE SHENK AS MARIE KELLY used the jump-over-blank-space mechanism. There may be others.
I actually thought - in hindsight after I solved - that there was logic for the "jump over blank space" mechanism because the themers were doing the same thing. In other words, "JADE GRASS" with a space was one themer and "WAS ABI" with a space was another. So it felt coherent to me. Maybe easy for me to say since I saw WASABI quickly.

And before finding the answer, I was going to make a joke about how Mr Abide should be able to find it easily but didn't for fear of incurring wrath - little did I know that it would actually have been a spoiler.

The answer is near and dear to my heart, though. Here's my youngest son, circa Halloween 2019.
62103.jpeg