Signal

Discuss meta crosswords from sources other than those listed above.
emmie

Signal

Post by emmie »

hello xwordmuggles. i'm new to this forum but someone suggested i posted some of the metas i make in my spare time here so i figured i would
this one's called Signal (https://crosshare.org/crosswords/jOGoiuIBU2zPvlsdlEGc). the answer is a four letter word and you will most likely have to google a bit

have fun yall

Signal Online Form

Signal PDF

Signal PUZ

Signal Excel form
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Thanks for joining, and most importantly, for sharing your meta!

I had a go at it, but I'm afraid I couldn't solve the meta, not even after I had revealed the solution. I will look forward to an explanation when it comes out. :)

By the way, this is how madhatter5 (MEOW) and I (MOAT) both started out, and now we have our own subforums to share our weekly metas. So may there be many more of yours to come!
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
Abide

Post by Abide »

This is a clever idea and nicely executed. Welcome to the insanity!

@BrennerTJ this is made to order for you...
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
boharr

Post by boharr »

I knew what to do but couldn't make it work. Thanks for the puzzle.
Dannyvee

Post by Dannyvee »

Got it! Nice one.
I can be found in Sheridan, NY, veejaying. (8)
hoover

Post by hoover »

boharr wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:56 am I knew what to do but couldn't make it work. Thanks for the puzzle.
I'm in this boat. I see a thing, and I see a group of related things, and I've used a search engine on the thing to try to figure out how to use the related things, but it's not working for me yet.
emmie

Post by emmie »

thank you all for the nice feedback ! i think i'll post a solution here in a week if necessary. i've had a lot of free time given the fact that school just stopped for me, so i've been making quite a few of these metas. glad to see people are enjoying them! i might post a few more here , and have been toying with the idea of making it a weekly thing too.. but idk.

anyways, if y'all need a hint or anything feel free to shoot me a message on discord or something (my tag is oxo#3626)
Last edited by emmie on Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BrennerTJ

Post by BrennerTJ »

Abide wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:31 am This is a clever idea and nicely executed. Welcome to the insanity!

@BrennerTJ this is made to order for you...
Indeed it is 😎. Solved.
-Tamara
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

I did this puzzle (grid) the other day when I found it on Crosshare, but like Benchen and hoover haven't been able to get any farther, even though I did peek at the solution. Must be getting mixed signals?

But anyway, welcome @emmie ! -- and I'll certainly look forward to seeing the mechanism eventually if I haven't solved by then, as well as to any others you decide to post.

BTW, you do realize, don't you, that if you're going to do this regularly, you'll have to have your own special schtick! :)
See @benchen71's moat/castle; @madhatter5's cats in bags, etc. @AnswerPfinder's Pandora's Blocks with dinos and trains, etc....
The world's your oyster and we'll love whatever you come up with. (And beat it to death! :D )
DJB

Post by DJB »

Hi Emmie, great meta - thanks for posting! I really enjoyed the solve. A fundamental question many solvers (myself included) have when tackling a meta from a new constructor is "is this puzzle fair for the solver?" In my view it is absolutely fair and worth spending time on for those potential solvers that may be wavering! Looking forward to more puzzles from you.
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Loved it!
dudeski

Post by dudeski »

Well done.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Really clever; hope to see more!
hoover

Post by hoover »

Oh wow, I had to look at the solution. I had the right idea but was using the wrong pieces. This is most definitely a fair and legitimate mechanism. Well done!
emmie

Post by emmie »

thank you all for the lovely words! i've made another and posted it here too if you want to check it out :)
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

When will you post the solution to this one? I'm dying to see what I couldn't see on my own!
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
RPardoe

Post by RPardoe »

benchen71 wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:48 pm When will you post the solution to this one? I'm dying to see what I couldn't see on my own!
The link to the solution is in the opening post of the next puzzle (ANGRY).

Copied here for ease of reference: also here is a link to the solution for signal if you are curious
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

That's really clever!
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

Yes! Super, Emmie!
Just couldn't spot what it was in the grid that would get me where I wanted. Perfect sense in retrospect, of course.
Doing "Angry" now -- but not getting so. :)
But am hoping for better luck --
woozy

Post by woozy »

Clever but very hard.

I was looking at black squares and got only four Fs.....

A great idea for a meta and a great first puzzle.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.