#19 - "Go With Plan B"

Creative and challenging meta crosswords (currently on hiatus) from: www.pgwcc.net
Hector

#19 - "Go With Plan B"

Post by Hector »

The answer to the metapuzzle is a five-letter category.
Hector

Post by Hector »

Grid not quite as hard as last week's, but maybe only because I seem to have a lot of the same arcane interests/background as Peter.

Meta, supposing I got it right, seems to me week 2-ish, in Gaffney lingo, and amusing.
TMart

Post by TMart »

I think I got it, but I'm missing a piece.
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

Hector wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:46 pm Grid not quite as hard as last week's, but maybe only because I seem to have a lot of the same arcane interests/background as Peter.
The grid was definitely easier for me than last week's, which took me two days! I always have to look up a lot of things when I do his puzzles, but I end up learning the strangest assortment of new information.
Hector

Post by Hector »

Ha! One piece, while technically correct, is a bit of a stretch...
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

Also was stuck briefly on one piece, but got it. Thankful for an easier one. My confidence needed a boost today.
LesY

Post by LesY »

Also thankful for an easier one! And I learned something, too.

While last week provided delicious misdirections this one definitely seems to hit the solver over the head! And one of the references in the clue for 16A got me going for a minute....
Meg

Post by Meg »

I’m also missing a piece AND I don’t see how the title relates, but the meta seems pretty clear. I’ll have to cogitate some.
Ok! I got the title! I’m working on the piece.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

I'm also sure of the answer but missing a piece. I have a suspicion but I'm not sure I like it...
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Also missing the piece. I won't submit my answer until I find a fit for it.
Meg

Post by Meg »

I got the piece after some interesting Google searches. Nowhere near my wheelhouse!
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

Meg wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:45 pm I got the piece after some interesting Google searches. Nowhere near my wheelhouse!

Google took me to some interesting places.
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

Solved
Toby

Post by Toby »

I just can’t get last piece, although I’m pretty sure I have the answer. Google expanded my sex Ed on this one but probably not the right path.
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

Toby wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:21 am I just can’t get last piece, although I’m pretty sure I have the answer. Google expanded my sex Ed on this one but probably not the right path.
Strangely, my first attempt to Google that piece took me there, too. But then my second one took me to the answer with no sex involved. Not sure what I changed in the search terms. I wonder if I should be bracing myself for a different genre of personalized ads now.
Toby

Post by Toby »

Solved. Even after I got the missing piece it took a while to relate it to puzzle title. In retrospect it should have been easy, using Beginner Meta technique.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

The title definitely does relate, and did help.
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

Finally stumbled on the missing piece! Now I see why my Google searches weren't productive, at least not in the right way (the less said, the better). Cute meta, I like the unusual way that it fits with the title.

Also, I enjoyed the grid a lot--it didn't take me hours to do or require Google! But it was challenging enough that I had the illusion that I accomplished something :-)
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Indeed, with the encouragement provided here, I continued to Google and found the missing piece. Fun!

I must say that, while I appreciate the occasional cheekiness of PGWCC's clues and answers, I'm finding I'm learning a bit more than I really care to about today's popular narcotics!
pgw

Post by pgw »

ChrisKochmanski wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:08 am Indeed, with the encouragement provided here, I continued to Google and found the missing piece. Fun!

I must say that, while I appreciate the occasional cheekiness of PGWCC's clues and answers, I'm finding I'm learning a bit more than I really care to about today's popular narcotics!
This puzzle had two drug-related clues, one of which referenced an anti-drug public service campaign, and both of which reference things I haven't heard of in over 30 years ...