The Sound of Music

A weekly meta crossword created by members of the forum. Difficulty levels will vary. Hints are usually available starting Wednesday, and solutions are posted on Sunday.
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

Well, I’ve submitted an answer; hope it’s right!
Cynthia
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

HeadinHome wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 12:35 pm Well I had an initial “obvious” answer; then I looked again and had a SECOND obvious answer. Hmm… which to submit??
I think I had a similar experience. After a tiny nudge from a friendly muggle I did indeed submit the second obvious answer.
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

CPJohnson wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:34 pm Well, I’ve submitted an answer; hope it’s right!
(Sigh) It wasn’t.
Cynthia
bhamren

Post by bhamren »

Off the couch. I too sent in the first "obvious" answer only to be told it was incorrect. I put in a bit more work and got the real correct answer.
rjy

Post by rjy »

Off the couch on the second try as well. Clever!
Ray
Bbaack

Post by Bbaack »

Confirmed off the couch. Great mechanism for a meta, and I learned something new (Nina-- not a spoiler). Thanks for the fun!
madhatter5

Post by madhatter5 »

Nudges (late since I forgot)

This one fell a bit flat (pun intended of course) since I was informed that the mechanism in question has been done before. Oh and also it's apparently unfair for some solvers. Oh and also there is one point in the mechanism where there is some ambiguity and that element could be one of several possibilities. Oh and also the final song is America-specific. So yea, not the cleanest meta ever I concede.

Many of you submitted "Do-Re-Mi", which is not correct but it is on the right track!

If you think you know how the mechanism should work but just can't get to the answer, I'll give it to you. That wasn't meant to be a sticking point.
https://pandorasblocks.org/crosswords-for-cancer
woozy

Post by woozy »

madhatter5 wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 1:50 am Nudges (late since I forgot)

This one fell a bit flat (pun intended of course) since I was informed that the mechanism in question has been done before. Oh and also it's apparently unfair for some solvers. Oh and also there is one point in the mechanism where there is some ambiguity and that element could be one of several possibilities. Oh and also the final song is America-specific. So yea, not the cleanest meta ever I concede.
Those are completely invalid complaints! I don't think the mechanism has been done before and so what if has? It was a well executed and clever mechanism that made the puzzle fun and well down. What more could anyone want? Unfair to some users? So some puzzle doers have some talents and areas of knowledge and others less so. Since when has that been an issue we concern ourselves overly with. As for the ambiguity. So some some songs have notations with different notes in the same chord? You still gave a correct version. As for America specific... I concede that but it's *still* common knowledge.

IMO this was a really clever and fun and valid and one of the more enjoyable puzzle. Those complaints couldn't be more off the mark.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
JeanneC

Post by JeanneC »

I have thought of trying my hand at composing a meta. However, I value my sanity and marriage. Kudos to Madhatter5 and anyone else who takes the time and makes the effort to compose one and then share it with us.
“I cannot and will not cut my conscience to fit this year’s fashions”. Lillian Hellman
michaelm

Post by michaelm »

Off the couch.
After SAL ATE my EEL ABS, I can't even recall a mechanism from a month ago, let alone years ago.
I love them all, from 101 to PhD (wait, wait, that could be a collection of three letters that mean something, maybe in French? - nerves are still frayed).
I certainly admire all who bring them before the Muggle masses.
Thanks to Josh and all the other MMM composers.
madhatter5

Post by madhatter5 »

woozy wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:53 am
madhatter5 wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 1:50 am Nudges (late since I forgot)

Those are completely invalid complaints! I don't think the mechanism has been done before and so what if has? It was a well executed and clever mechanism that made the puzzle fun and well down. What more could anyone want? Unfair to some users? So some puzzle doers have some talents and areas of knowledge and others less so. Since when has that been an issue we concern ourselves overly with. As for the ambiguity. So some some songs have notations with different notes in the same chord? You still gave a correct version. As for America specific... I concede that but it's *still* common knowledge.

IMO this was a really clever and fun and valid and one of the more enjoyable puzzle. Those complaints couldn't be more off the mark.
woozy I'd like to hire you as my PR manager
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

I don't remember ever seeing this mechanism before. I really enjoyed it. Great entry for a fiftieth anniversary!
madhatter5

Post by madhatter5 »

Solution:

Hidden in the across entries were fourteen Solfège notes. In grid order, they spell out the tune to "Yankee Doodle"
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

I'd like to see how that works visually. According to my musical memory "town" should be a "re", but I only see another "do".
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
madhatter5

Post by madhatter5 »

Ah yes that was the ambiguous note I mentioned in a nudge :) Some of you thought a DO should go there, others a SOL, and me personally a RE. Poor choice of tune on my part.
michaelm

Post by michaelm »

madhatter5 wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 6:12 pm Ah yes that was the ambiguous note I mentioned in a nudge :) Some of you thought a DO should go there, others a SOL, and me personally a RE. Poor choice of tune on my part.
Team RE
boharr

Post by boharr »

See, that's where being tone deaf, as I am, pays off. DO, SOL, RE. Made no difference to me, but I did hear Yankee Doodle. LOL
Dow Jones

Post by Dow Jones »

I'm still confused. What is the mechanism ? Where is Fa, Sol and La ?
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

Play the notes from top to bottom (Do = Middle C) and you get the tune of the first two lines of Yankee Doodle. Doesn't require any Fa, Sol or Las. And the Ti is the one below Middle C.
Captureyankeedoodle.PNG
Dow Jones

Post by Dow Jones »

Thanks, whimsy, for the explanation. Doh! I should have asked my wife to hum the notes.