#701 - "We're Looking for a Phrase"

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
docison

#701 - "We're Looking for a Phrase"

Post by docison »

THIS WEEK’S INSTRUCTIONS:

This week’s contest answer is a two-word phrase that’s something to avoid when solving metas.

Solve well, and be not led astray by words intended to deceive.
docison

Post by docison »

Had to create the topic so I could post that I am at the top of the leaderboard! Woo-hoo! A little tricky for a week 1, but still nice and simple after lots of crunchy metas of late.
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

Solved
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

docison wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:21 pm Had to create the topic so I could post that I am at the top of the leaderboard! Woo-hoo! A little tricky for a week 1, but still nice and simple after lots of crunchy metas of late.
Yeah, I needed the respite this weekend since I have stuff to do, hahaha. Played a bit like a Week 2, but I think I got it...we shall see!

Mikey G
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 92. It's a Breeze
Dannyvee

Post by Dannyvee »

Beamed up! Lots of fun
I can be found in Sheridan, NY, veejaying. (8)
RPardoe

Post by RPardoe »

Solved and submitted
stmv

Post by stmv »

docison wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:21 pm A little tricky for a week 1, but still nice and simple after lots of crunchy metas of late.
I agree that it was not as easy as I expected for a week 1, but after a few false starts, I am on the leaderboard.
joequavis

Post by joequavis »

Beam me up. And props to @docison for being 1st across the finish line. I think I was still replacing the printer toner at 12:07!!
Joe

Post by Joe »

stmv wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:43 pm
docison wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:21 pm A little tricky for a week 1, but still nice and simple after lots of crunchy metas of late.
I agree that it was not as easy as I expected for a week 1, but after a few false starts, I am on the leaderboard.
Just crunchy enough! I liked the slightly tougher Week 1. I'm on the board at 60 and thank heavens. After last weeks two stumpers (though I got on Matt's board with a nudge) and this week's WSJ, it was nice to actually to solve one.
Happy to give nudges. If you notice I've solved, please tell me about avenues you've explored so I can nudge you in the right direction and not off a cliff.
ajk

Post by ajk »

Beamed aboard. Should have gotten it faster, but was oversimplifying instead of overcomplicating for once. :lol:
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

Got it, after making a dumb grid mistake. Also, I always forget to try (can't say) when stuck, and when I did that, all was clear.

Fun one!

Waiting for my beam-up (JUST refreshed, so it might be a while).
The other Wendy. :roll:
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

You know it’s a week 1 when you get a late start and there’s already 79 people ahead of you.

Fun week 1. Maybe a week 1.25-1.5, not that I’m complaining.
Polar Star

Post by Polar Star »

Hah! Got one early for a change
Guffman

Post by Guffman »

More steps than usual for a Week 1, but thankful it won't be a weekend slog.
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

Solved. Nice week 1.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Whoo Hoo #74, that may well be as high as I have ever been. I know, I know. don't gloat over a week 1, but hey I'm not getting very far with Mr. Gaffney's other puzzle on WSJ so I might as well take my victories where I can.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
BrennerTJ

Post by BrennerTJ »

Beamed up.
-Tamara
DCBilly

Post by DCBilly »

Beamed up on this one after whiffing on everything else this week….
Thurman8er

Post by Thurman8er »

Phew! Confidence (mostly) restored.

Energize.
EmilyW

Post by EmilyW »

It feels like it's been a while since I correctly solved a meta so I was looking forward to a nice easy week one, but unfortunately I am stuck. I think I'm most of the way there, so I'm going to take a break and hope for post enlightenment.