"Three by Three" - November 5, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

CPJohnson wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:12 am I think ARE = R in most sections of the country. (In my section, the following words: flower, flour, and flare....are all pronounced FLARE by a segment of the population.)
I once had three roommates from Baltimore. The parents of one of them clipped out an article from the Sun and sent it. The title: "Flares Bloom in Ballamer."
Jay
ship4u

Post by ship4u »

Bird Lives wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 7:14 pm
CPJohnson wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:12 am I think ARE = R in most sections of the country. (In my section, the following words: flower, flour, and flare....are all pronounced FLARE by a segment of the population.)
I once had three roommates from Baltimore. The parents of one of them clipped out an article from the Sun and sent it. The title: "Flares Bloom in Ballamer."
There was a famous restaurant in Baltimore called Haussners. The waitresses who were generally middle aged women wearing white uniforms called everyone "hon." Don't remember if they wore flares or not.
Don & Cynthia

We are always happy to get to know other muggles and help in any way! PM's are always welcome. The next best thing to winning a mug is helping a fellow muggle win a mug!
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

Did I miss the official numbers from Mike?
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

Dplass wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:24 am Did I miss the official numbers from Mike?
He hasn't posted them yet.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Dplass wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:24 am Did I miss the official numbers from Mike?
Mike Miller watch
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

Joe Ross wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:43 am
Mike Miller watch
Yep I had done that search but thought maybe there was a glitch in the matrix.
Barney

Post by Barney »

Probably still tallying the voluminous number of submissions.
MikeMillerwsj

Post by MikeMillerwsj »

The contest answer is BOOK TOUR. The four words in each theme answer can form a three-by-three mini-crossword with its center letter missing (like the one shown). Putting E, W, A and U in their centers creates eight words in the newly-formed crossing words that sound like letters: BEE/TEA, OWE/EWE, EAU/KAY and AUX/OUR. Arranging those letters using the clues’ parenthetical numbers spells the contest answer.

Can we agree this has been a rough autumn? We venture to say this week's brilliant contest was one of our toughest ever. We had just 387 brave entrants, and only about 53% of them were correct. If you're one of them, consider yourself among the elite. Valiant incorrect guesses included SPELLING BEE (38), BOOK SALE (33), GRADUATION (8), BOOK FAIR (3) and some other shots in the dark.

Congrats to this week's winner: John Millar of Cincinnati, Ohio!
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

MikeMillerwsj wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:45 am Congrats to this week's winner: John Millar of Cincinnati, Ohio!
Mike,

You've misspeeled my name.
ship4u

Post by ship4u »

MikeMillerwsj wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:45 am Can we agree this has been a rough autumn?
Hmmmm, "rough?", I dunno. How about "cruel," "diabolical", "sadistic"............
Don & Cynthia

We are always happy to get to know other muggles and help in any way! PM's are always welcome. The next best thing to winning a mug is helping a fellow muggle win a mug!
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

387 submissions and only half of them were correct?! Wow, that must be an all-time low. Matt himself said on "Fiend" that he was surprised people found this one so difficult. For me the misdirection had a lot to do with the prominent placement of "French," when in the end French pronunciation was of minimal importance.
All hail the Muggle Zoom Room!
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Wendy Walker wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:10 am For me the misdirection had a lot to do with the prominent placement of "French," when in the end French pronunciation was of minimal importance.
All hail the Muggle Zoom Room!
In (or near) the end was exactly when the French pronunciation was important. Until then, it gave notice that a step (or several) needed to be taken.

205 correct solvers. Cruel and diabolical, indeed.

Still, I say the puzzles Mike, Matt, & Pete have given us the last few weeks have been some of their best.

As for difficulty, I blame those squawking "Too easy!" a month or two back. 😉
BethA

Post by BethA »

I missed Toy Box of 12/01/17. Someone had mentioned this as also using a word square. I think at that time, I might not have even known that a word square was a thing! This time, the puzzle title THREE BY THREE, and the form of the theme answers, just screamed at me — make a word square!!!

It was the first and only thing I could think of doing, and seemed promising. I got the T,B and K,O squares quickly. Got hung up on the others for a bit, was thinking AIX rather than AUX at first, and had put an R rather than a W in the O,U square before realizing I had to form words that sounded like letters. Combo of Dan consulting and backsolving for the right letters led to the solution.

Anyway, just wondering if I should be worried. In the past, Gaffney puzzles have stumped me more often than Shenk ones. This year, the only misses have been Shenks. Should I be worried that I’m getting more on the Gaffney wavelength?! 😀
ship4u

Post by ship4u »

Joe Ross wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:19 am
As for difficulty, I blame those squawking "Too easy!" a month or two back. 😉
You got that right, Joe. They should be careful what they wish for!
Don & Cynthia

Nlobb

Post by Nlobb »

Best chance ever to win the mug but…
Cindy N

Post by Cindy N »

In discussing what I had looked at as I worked through this - and got a nudge or two - and this was my comment

We've had puzzles where you read around the outside, used the 4 corners, chose the center letter.

And yet I wasn't keying in on building that, with letters overlapping at the corners. The light finally did go on, but I hate it when I do that. I have the step that needs to be taken, but I glide right past it. Especially when branistorming and the response I get is "Thanks! That's it!"
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Joe Ross wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:48 am
MikeMillerwsj wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:45 am Congrats to this week's winner: John Millar of Cincinnati, Ohio!
Mike,

Man! So last week, I had a one-in-143 chance of a mug; this week it was one in 205. Pete Muller's was even worse: one out of 47. And yet, I'm still drinking coffee out of an "Over the Hill" mug that's almost 30 years old now.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Al Sisti wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:04 pm
Mike,

Man! So last week, I had a one-in-143 chance of a mug; this week it was one in 205. Pete Muller's was even worse: one out of 47. And yet, I'm still drinking coffee out of an "Over the Hill" mug that's almost 30 years old now.

It might be time to rename that the "Through the Woods" mug.
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
woozy

Post by woozy »

Mike,

You do realize that 1 in 47 odds are .... actually terrible...., don't you?
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

woozy wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:42 pm

Mike,

You do realize that 1 in 47 odds are .... actually terrible...., don't you?
but so much better than 1 in 327, which was the average coming into November.