There Goes Rhymin' Simon -- November 2021

A monthly, music-themed meta crossword published at noon on the first Tuesday of every month. The puzzles increase in difficulty each month, and at year end there is a 13th puzzle (the "Mega-Meta") that invokes each of the 12 monthly puzzles. Currently available at https://pmxwords.com/, as well as through the Washington Post website here: MMMM at WaPo
Wendy Walker

There Goes Rhymin' Simon -- November 2021

Post by Wendy Walker »

It's the first Tuesday of the month ... and you know what that means!
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

So far it means seeing a first step but not a second step
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

This note came with Pete’s email. It’s also on his website now. (Don’t know if it wasn’t there before or I just didn’t see it.)
This puzzle is the hardest of the year. In order to give more solvers a chance to get the meta, I will be offering a hint starting Friday, November 5, at noon ET (three days from now). To receive the hint, submit as you would normally, except with the answer “HINT PLEASE.” Hints will be emailed starting Friday at noon.

If you solve the meta after getting the hint, resubmit as you would normally. You will still get credit, but with fewer points, and you won’t be eligible for the monthly mug drawing.
Seems like a great idea. And with 4 solvers in 5 hours, I think a lot of us may be taking him up on it.
Last edited by BarbaraK on Wed Nov 03, 2021 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leslie

Post by Leslie »

Got first step while filling in grid. Thought “This isn’t so hard!” Then…nada.
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

Yeah, I'm also seeing an obvious (I hope) first step, and second step. (Depending on how you break down steps.) But nothing after that so far.
m5rammy

Post by m5rammy »

HunterX wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 11:10 pm Yeah, I'm also seeing an obvious (I hope) first step, and second step. (Depending on how you break down steps.) But nothing after that so far.
I concur. I have (what I call) 2 steps, but nowhere near enough for a guess yet
Dannyvee

Post by Dannyvee »

I'm at the two steps but stuck stage as well.

If anyone would like to compare notes and brainstorm together, hit me up
I can be found in Sheridan, NY, veejaying. (8)
Leslie

Post by Leslie »

BarbaraK wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:38 pm
This puzzle is the hardest of the year. In order to give more solvers a chance to get the meta, I will be offering a hint starting Friday, November 5, at noon ET (three days from now). To receive the hint, submit as you would normally, except with the answer “HINT PLEASE.” Hints will be emailed starting Friday at noon.

If you solve the meta after getting the hint, resubmit as you would normally. You will still get credit, but with fewer points, and you won’t be eligible for the monthly mug drawing.
Seems like a great idea. And with 4 solvers in 5 hours, I think a lot of us may be taking him up on it.
The hint option sounds great, but I’m wondering how it will work. The first step of the meta (or first two steps, depending on how you count) isn’t particularly difficult. Assuming the hint is just to the first part of the meta process, it will be useless to those of us who are stuck at a later stage.
hoover

Post by hoover »

I'm standing on that first step with the rest of y'all, wondering who dynamited the rest of the staircase.
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

I have 2 solid steps then nada. Have same concern about the hint.
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

I submitted for the hint. Still getting no where. Had an idea for the next step but couldn't make it work.
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

HunterX wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 8:36 am I submitted for the hint. Still getting no where. Had an idea for the next step but couldn't make it work.
Same here. Tough one.
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

Fears realized. Can't say the hint helps much. There is one little bit of it that may be useful. But otherwise... I'm kinda where I was before I got it.
Leslie

Post by Leslie »

Thanks, HunterX! I suspected the hint wouldn't be very helpful. I guess I'll just take another stab at finding the next stage on my own.
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

HunterX wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:11 pm Fears realized. Can't say the hint helps much. There is one little bit of it that may be useful. But otherwise... I'm kinda where I was before I got it.
…aaaaaand also the same.
Dannyvee

Post by Dannyvee »

I got it (with the email hint)

Tough one but very gettable!
I can be found in Sheridan, NY, veejaying. (8)
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

Dannyvee wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:48 pm I got it (with the email hint)

Tough one but very gettable!
Good to know. Though it's not helping me. The first third of the hint was easy before ever getting the hint. And the last third was what I was expecting to do anyway. It's the middle that I was struggling with before, and I'm not sure the hint is helping, though I've tried a couple new things based on it. Obviously I must not be getting what it's hinting at!
spotter

Post by spotter »

Out of curiosity, could somebody share with me via private message what the email hint was? I have already solved (spotter 11/03 3:54 PM) but I just have a desire to know what it is.

Edit: Thanks, now I know what it was. No need to send it.
Last edited by spotter on Fri Nov 05, 2021 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hayburner

Post by hayburner »

Got this one with the hint and like 4 people in a room together. Can't say I enjoyed it much :cry:
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

I got it with the hint. Congrats to those who did it solo. I can see how someone could do that, but don't really think I would have figured it all out.

And for those still pondering to hint or not to hint, it was definitely worthwhile for me even though I had a solid start.

Looking forward to hearing the answer song. 70s is my vintage.