#700 - “FACEBOOK Is Now META”

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
burak

Post by burak »

Just read the solution. That was brilliant! Simply brilliant. In retrospect, I should have written more on the grid but also I had run out of space lol.
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

sharkicicles wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 2:04 pm I’ve never group solved an MGWCC before but if anyone wants to, I’d like to get those achievements tomorrow because, ah, why not.
This was slightly ironic.
mkmf

Post by mkmf »

Matt has a great extended explanation of his intentions with this meta in the comments over at Crossword Fiend.
https://crosswordfiend.com/2021/11/03/mgwcc-700/

Vocabulary alert: He describes this as a "front-door" meta and uses hide-and-seek analogy and more to explain it. Very interesting. My shorthand definition for it in muggle-speak is "front-door meta = reverse pageant". What do you think?
mntlblok

Post by mntlblok »

mkmf wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 6:08 pm Matt has a great extended explanation of his intentions with this meta in the comments over at Crossword Fiend.
https://crosswordfiend.com/2021/11/03/mgwcc-700/

Vocabulary alert: He describes this as a "front-door" meta and uses hide-and-seek analogy and more to explain it. Very interesting. My shorthand definition for it in muggle-speak is "front-door meta = reverse pageant". What do you think?
Heinous.
KayW

Post by KayW »

I was one of the ones that fell for it. I saw one of the synonyms/clues as I was performing translations in the 8 theme entries and NEVER looked back to see what those 8 translated letters formed. After I finally got the intended answer (which had been sitting, in order, highlighted yet unnoticed in my worksheet for HOURS) I suspected those feints by Matt were his week 5 "twist". Because IMHO without them this puzzle is no more than a week 2 in difficulty. Either that, or he initially intended to use the synonyms but couldn't pull it off. The former seemed more likely.

And I like reverse pageant! Tho the front-door analogy also encompasses the risk of early discovery.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.