MEOW #48: Ghost

A weekly meta crossword on the forum started by member Josh (aka madhatter5). These puzzles are often very creative with solving mechanisms out of the norm and skewing towards the more challenging. Puzzles are posted every Wednesday, and the solution appears the following Tuesday.
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

That’s how I know I’m old- the Boomers used to be the adults. Now I’m the adult and they’re the retirees.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

For some reason that I cannot explain, I connected BOOMER with GENZERS (which is just plain wrong, as well as being plural) which led me to the 6 letter prompt, GADLEY. A quick Google search (following the nudge) led me to JEFF GADLEY an actual ghost hunter. Solved! or so I thought. When I got the "try again" I gave up in despair! But if I had only gone back over my working, I really should have spotted my mistake.
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
woozy

Post by woozy »

Hmm... I also got GADLEY, Jeff and his wife Johna, who were actual paranormal investigators. I was a bit irked because Gen Zers and Boomers are opposites, not synonyms. I briefly considered RETIREE but RETIREE and BOOMER are not synonyms in my book; related overlap but not synonyms. Also if Jeff Gadley was an actual ghost hunter that couldn't not be the answer.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.