"Horror Movie Trope" by benchen71

Can you storm the castle by getting across the MOAT? A weekly meta crossword constructed by forum member Ben (aka benchen71). These metas range from relatively easy to more challenging, depending on how many Australianisms he puts in them! Puzzles are posted in a new thread every Tuesday, with nudges appearing on Saturdays, and the solution coming out on Mondays. (At least, that's the plan. Given he lives in Australia, and they are so far ahead of the US time-zone-wise, things may get posted early!)
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

I hope you’re planning nudges.
Cynthia
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

CPJohnson wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:52 pm I hope you’re planning nudges.
Yes, indeed. Here are the nudges:

1. The meta hint is in 45 down: "The type of end that is avoided by the horror movie trope represented four times in this grid, which is a hint regarding the meta answer".

2. Four of the clues are special (the ones with a question mark at the end). These grid entries are the ones being referred to by the hint in 45 down.

3. Can you find a way to separate these entries into two parts? (One has already been split for you!)

4. What do you know about the four movies in these entries? How does the name relate? Some Googling may be necessary at this point, depending on how much of a horror movie aficionado you are. (Personal confession: I have only seen 2 of these movies)

5. The position of the name is also a hint.

6. The answer to the meta is also the name of the horror movie trope as well as a Chvrches song.
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

Thanks, Ben. I know nothing about horror movies or their tropes. Crosshare confirmed my second guess.
Cynthia
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Only two additional solvers to add to the list for a grand total of 43:

Golem
CPJohnson
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

And here's the solution:

Horror Movie Trope (solution).png

Chvrches never released "Final Girl" as a single, so there isn't an official video. But there's a lyric video if you're interested.

This week's MOAT will take us into the world of magic!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

I don't know how many of us are All Things Considered fans, but if you are you probably heard the broadcast last Thursday entitled

After the credits roll, what happens to the Final Girl?

https://www.npr.org/2021/10/28/10501772 ... final-girl

I mean what an honor to have spoilers (and I mean REAL spoilers because they gave the name of the "trope" and even mentioned one or two of the movies in Benchen71's amusing Meta) distributed by Audie Cornish. See the things you can learn from Public Radio, not just about Schwetty...oh never mind.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!