"You'll Never Solve This One" - October 21, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
debbierudy

Post by debbierudy »

Ashore - fun one!
Cosmo

Post by Cosmo »

On shore! One slight inelegance but enjoyable nonetheless!
It's a coffee table book about coffee tables
Commodore

Post by Commodore »

Eighty-six percent of the way there. As Evel Knievel would tell you, "Close ain't good."
Susan Goldberg

Post by Susan Goldberg »

hoover wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:32 pm
Susan Goldberg wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:58 pm Here is Calvin!
Looks like Calvin got the same backpack George has, the Jackson Galaxy one. We chose that one because it has a higher capacity (some of my cats are chonks), has the optional bubble, and converts to a horizontal carrier with a strap.

I usually use the bubble with George. It gives him a little extra room, plus he can lie down and peer out and not have to stand up to see where we're going. He doesn't jump out because he's wearing a harness that's clipped to the backpack.
Right, so I can’t get the screen off to put the bubble in. I think Calvin would love that. I called the company and they said sometimes it sticks and to try harder. Still no luck. Calvin is strapped in too so he can look out the top.
Susan Goldberg

Post by Susan Goldberg »

As for the puzzle, Bob, I’m still with Isaac. But, I am confident that by posting this the enlightenment will come.
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

JAQT wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:10 pm Incidentally, did anyone else have trouble with the lower right. I never heard of the songs or albums or actors or directors, all of which were solved (hopefully) by crosses.
Yes. Yes I did.
Jacksull

Post by Jacksull »

Reached the beach 🏖
Jack Sullivan
Relic

Post by Relic »

Didn't get started on this one until Sat. afternoon. Sitting with Isaac telling him how Matt may have me on this one. No clue at this point. I am putting it aside for now and will try again in the morning. In the meantime, its spin time followed by quality patio time with the Mrs. and our girl Maggie.
Good luck to all for a successful solve. If you see that I'm ashore - rare occasion of late - message me if you'd like a nudge. Be sure to include your progress so I can know better how to assist.

Alan A. and Maggie Muggle
Lyman

Post by Lyman »

Whether out of frustration or perception, I've come up with a meta that's convinced me enough that I've submitted an answer. So I'm off the boat; I'm just not sure that I'm on the right beach.
Bonnibel

Post by Bonnibel »

After a week's vacation on an actual beach - with no puzzles - I am back and happy to be on this beach again! Per usual Matt comes through with a fun puzzle. MaiTai please!
🌴🍹
TheCatt

Post by TheCatt »

Wow, we've got nothing. Had a couple of thoughts, couldn't make any progress.

Let's give it a night of sleep and see what happens, enjoying the bar for now.
mindle

Post by mindle »

On shore...Definitely had to sleep on this one and come back to it!
RussHiggins

Post by RussHiggins »

I think I am with several others here in that a couple steps seem a little iffy, but my answer seems too good to be wrong. So I'm in shore, but I might be in for a surprise on Monday.
Jarrod

Post by Jarrod »

Ashore! I liked this one. Whiskey, neat, please.
hoover

Post by hoover »

Susan Goldberg wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:23 pm
hoover wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:32 pm
Susan Goldberg wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:58 pm Here is Calvin!
Looks like Calvin got the same backpack George has, the Jackson Galaxy one. We chose that one because it has a higher capacity (some of my cats are chonks), has the optional bubble, and converts to a horizontal carrier with a strap.

I usually use the bubble with George. It gives him a little extra room, plus he can lie down and peer out and not have to stand up to see where we're going. He doesn't jump out because he's wearing a harness that's clipped to the backpack.
Right, so I can’t get the screen off to put the bubble in. I think Calvin would love that. I called the company and they said sometimes it sticks and to try harder. Still no luck. Calvin is strapped in too so he can look out the top.
Are you able to unscrew the plastic lock ring?
DBMiller

Post by DBMiller »

Very late start but done and done
If I'm around, I am willing to join the Muggle Zoom room at other times to lend a hand to those in need.
mrmd

Post by mrmd »

Surprised but on shore and smiling at the humour :)
Deb F

Post by Deb F »

Back to working part-time on ship to help cover my bar tab. It's quickly built up over the last several weeks as my ability to solve the metas has deserted me. Have a good week, Muggles!
halseymac

Post by halseymac »

Meta and Grid solved! Had a few 44 Across moments, then finally got it!
Colin

Post by Colin »

I am still asea,
This meta is not for me.
Hmm… let’s make some tea!
One world. One planet. One future.