"AP Chemistry" - July 12, 2019

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Laura M wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:39 am Not having such a good week here. I enjoyed the grid and was sure I was on the right track to solving the meta but... what I ended up with doesn't make any sense! Isaac, set 'em up.
I’m sure you’re on the right track. Just keep paddling.
Inca

Post by Inca »

I don't think this is going to go well for me. Even the grid was impossible for me to finish without going googley-eyed. I'm tempted to drop the search for the solution because something is telling me this is not going to happen anyway. Those who "know [me], know all about me": Do you think I'm right?
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Jim and Anita wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:48 am Our son Bill and his family came to help us celebrate our 50th wedding anniversary today and last night Bill and Jim showed that two heads are better than one in solving this meta. Kudos to the constructors for giving their brains quite the workout. We are delighted to toast you on the beach.
Happy Anniversary!!
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

Any They Might Be Giants fans out there? Well I have had the song "Brain Problem Situation" stuck in my head lately, because I just can't seem to get anything going with this puzzle, or with the PGWCC...or with two of the puzzles last week....

I have a terrible feeling I'll be taking a record three crossword puzzles with me to date night at the watering hole this week. Perhaps that's a sign that I need to start skipping date night.

In other words...I'm lost at sea.
PeterLeea1a

Post by PeterLeea1a »

Stuck on the last step...
Janet P

Post by Janet P »

I made it to shore after a very enjoyable meta. I do agree with other commenters that the grid was tough.
Good luck to all on winning the mug!
PeterLeea1a

Post by PeterLeea1a »

And just like that, while flossing -- flossing! -- it came to me. On shore.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Inca wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:01 am I don't think this is going to go well for me. Even the grid was impossible for me to finish without going googley-eyed. I'm tempted to drop the search for the solution because something is telling me this is not going to happen anyway. Those who "know [me], know all about me": Do you think I'm right?
It’s not your favorite type of meta, but you can solve it. You got the first step, right?
Diana

Post by Diana »

I just finished the grid and I clearly see the first wave to shore. For now I just wanted to post how excited I was to see Pete Muller's byline. Back in the old days, I would have broken out into a whole long song parody about it. To Pete-

So I say
Thank you for the music, the songs I'm singing
Thanks for all the joy they're bringing
Who can live without it, I ask in all honesty
What would life be?
Without a song or a dance what are we?
So I say thank you for the music
For giving it to me
- ABBA

I also Googled "Milo Beckham " to see who Pete's teammate was. His picture reminds me of my 18 year-old son. I'm rooting for Pete and Milo to have a most brilliant meta and I'm sure it is, but I got to set it aside for now.

Will be back gushing more after I solve.
narniabug

Post by narniabug »

Is there a location that tells how many people correctly solved last week's puzzle?
BrianMac
Site Admin

Post by BrianMac »

narniabug wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:08 amIs there a location that tells how many people correctly solved last week's puzzle?
Mike Miller of the WSJ posts the results (number of entries, % correct and common wrong answers) in the thread by Monday afternoon or so, so just check back in the thread.

Last weeks results are here: forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=120&start=160#p3513
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

auwade03 wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:03 pm On shore, 100%. Very impressive meta construction.
Welcome to the clan as I see this is your first posting. Great to have another muggle
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Jim and Anita wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:48 am Our son Bill and his family came to help us celebrate our 50th wedding anniversary today and last night Bill and Jim showed that two heads are better than one in solving this meta. Kudos to the constructors for giving their brains quite the workout. We are delighted to toast you on the beach.
Jim and Anita
congratulations on your 50th anniversary. My wife and I will be celebration ours in another few weeks.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Deb F

Post by Deb F »

Thank you, Mrs. Waldman--my H.S. Chemistry teacher. On shore enjoying a Tequila Sunrise. Fun puzzle and hope I am not overconfident.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Just started & solved the puzzle. I cant touch this meta without dislodging this earworm first, with apologies.
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
Julie O

Post by Julie O »

On shore with a bit of unintentional help from my son. Not sure if or when I would have completed that step without his suggestion.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

good morning
First a warm welcome to our two creators - Pete Muller and Milo Beckman. The challenge for some of us who have not done their puzzles is to learn their style. Always great to have new challenges

Second is to welcome our newest Muggle - auwade03

The grid was more challenging than we are used to and for me required an extensive amount of googling. However for those of us in the Boston area 31D was a piece of cake.

Currently there are 8 keeping Isaac company and 36 on the shore.

Good luck to all winning the mug
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Scooby

Post by Scooby »

Onshore...thru a pretty rough sea, i'd say.
Inca

Post by Inca »

BarbaraK wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:26 am
Inca wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:01 am I don't think this is going to go well for me. Even the grid was impossible for me to finish without going googley-eyed. I'm tempted to drop the search for the solution because something is telling me this is not going to happen anyway. Those who "know [me], know all about me": Do you think I'm right?
It’s not your favorite type of meta, but you can solve it. You got the first step, right?
Thanks for confirming. I had a feeling. Putting it out of my mind for now. Maybe I'll pick it up again Sunday.
jenirvin

Post by jenirvin »

On the boat. Chuckled at a couple of the grid entries, as they seem almost directed at us. ;) I see a way forward, but I'm just not sure what to do with it... yet. More brain lubricant needed while I sit at the bar (or while I get some actual work done and step away from the puzzle for a bit).
~ Jennifer/jenirvin