"Take Five" - October 15, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
pilsbandy

Post by pilsbandy »

I am ashore, blistered and battered, but ashore. Thanks to the fantastic @boharr and @Cap'n Rick for their gentle nudges toward the warm sands. A virgin 7&7 for me, please.
JJD

Post by JJD »

I’ve been looking at this all weekend I’m going to ask for a nudge. and now that I see what type of puzzle Patrick Berry creates, I’m sure I’ll eventually need a disqualifying shove/tow, too.
mindle

Post by mindle »

On the boat, but still enjoying the puzzle for now :)
mikeB

Post by mikeB »

woozy wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:38 pm Well, I did this Thursday shortly after I got married and shortly before I got stuck with the stomach flu for two days. But I waited until now before posting here.

I really liked this one. It was a definite AHA moment and one you could systematically pull apart until you got it. I *do* like these "what the heck can that even mean" only to realize "Oh, I could figure it out if I dig at it".
I have found that marriage and metas can go together well, but caution is warranted. On a recent Thursday afternoon I reached the beach, which occasionally happens on Thursday. The next morning, as I was going through the Friday paper Journal, I mentioned to MrsB that I had solved this puzzle the previous day. She asked how I could solve it the day before it was published. I explained the Thursday afternoon availability for download. Oh.I.See. It was a jolt to domestic decorum, and my reputation took a nasty hit. Apparently, it was quite understandable to gladden at the arrival of the newspaper and drop everything to start working the grid. After all, the paper arrives when it arrives. But seeking the puzzle the day before its publishing date, so as to begin solving on Thursday, is viewed with a more jaundiced eye, because it is a pre-meta-dated act.
boharr

Post by boharr »

^Best post^
Flying_Burrito

Post by Flying_Burrito »

Game in Athens yesterday took priority. On the shore with 100% certainty. That's the beauty of PBs metas: there is no ambiguity in the aha moment. Go Dawgs.
UGA vs UK.jpg
Senor Guaca Mole :mrgreen:
TeaJenny

Post by TeaJenny »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:09 pm Good Saturday morning

How many of us have had Dave Brubeck in your ear all weekend so far. Thank you Patrick Berry.

First we welcome our newest muggles - bigtuna (is this Bill Parcells doing metas?), rjy, MDM, and Acari

So far we have 16 on the ship and 104 on the shore with varying degrees of Coast Guard towing.

Keeping Isaac busy are
EVJ
SReh26
MatthewL
CPJohnson
barney
hunkra
lbray
mrmd
Commodore
ImOnToo
ladybird
LivinaDogsLife
Richard
whimsy
Bridget
John M

While enjoying the tiki bar on the shore are
docison
Wendy
Kay
Meg
Cindy
Laura
Georgeall
stmv
Jace54
Zach
mlvilv
joe
architect
Tina
MajorDomoTom
Eric C
rjy
MDM
mattythewsjpuzzler
oldjudge
Chris
Eric P
BEACHEDWHALE
Barbara K
dplass
Heidi
JimJim
Dannyvee
RobM
Bill
sanmilton
SusieG
Anita
Ed S
Beth A
michaelm
Dave C
Carolyn SW
Beth T
David K
boharr
benchen71
darth
TeamDoubleTow
D B Miller
Nadine
Henry Paul
Omnibus
JennyByrd
roberto
Miki
M and M
Acari
meowmiao71
Al
mntlblok
joequavis
Dow Jones
ky-mike
Zagman49
C=64
ZooAnimalsOnWheels
MaineMarge
Gman
Joe R
Les
Schmeel
mbryant
minimuggle
Mike H
escapeartist
RPardoe
LittleGood
Toby
mpmanning
femullen
DrTom
joes
auee89
Janet P
spotter
joevdz
Jean
copperriver
Hamrock
Begbie
Colin
streroto
Cap'n Rick
Ergcat
ALS
JeanneC
Hidden in 3D
diplomatt
Shirley
Susan G
Kas
sharkicicles
HunterX
sruss43484
czeemuggle
bigtuna
Joepickett
Daniel G

Good luck to all and GO SOX (sorry Houston fans)
Looks like you missed me in the crush at the tiki bar! I've been downing Long Island iced teas since page 1.
You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me. ~C.S. Lewis
JJD

Post by JJD »

Ok, I’m ashore with an unmuggable amount of nudges, shoves, and “don’t bother with all those rabbit holes”.

A big thanks to the Muggles who helped.
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

I am on the shore at last. I needed some direction to get started. It was still a fun challenge to complete. Wonderful puzzle.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
Richard

Post by Richard »

I need a nudge and right now I have very little!
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

I got it; I got it! All by myself! Dodgers lost, but there’s joy in Mudville anyway.
Cynthia
bskptkl

Post by bskptkl »

Got it!
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

mikeB wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:02 pm
woozy wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:38 pm Well, I did this Thursday shortly after I got married and shortly before I got stuck with the stomach flu for two days. But I waited until now before posting here.

I really liked this one. It was a definite AHA moment and one you could systematically pull apart until you got it. I *do* like these "what the heck can that even mean" only to realize "Oh, I could figure it out if I dig at it".
I have found that marriage and metas can go together well, but caution is warranted. On a recent Thursday afternoon I reached the beach, which occasionally happens on Thursday. The next morning, as I was going through the Friday paper Journal, I mentioned to MrsB that I had solved this puzzle the previous day. She asked how I could solve it the day before it was published. I explained the Thursday afternoon availability for download. Oh.I.See. It was a jolt to domestic decorum, and my reputation took a nasty hit. Apparently, it was quite understandable to gladden at the arrival of the newspaper and drop everything to start working the grid. After all, the paper arrives when it arrives. But seeking the puzzle the day before its publishing date, so as to begin solving on Thursday, is viewed with a more jaundiced eye, because it is a pre-meta-dated act.
Paging @DrTom paging @DrTom ...
regfish7

Post by regfish7 »

Ashore! Clever one. A great way to pass the time in an airport. I’m thinking a margarita for today..
Scott M

Post by Scott M »

Firmly planted at Isaac's bar.
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
Mark Twain
Richard

Post by Richard »

Got it with a nudge! Tough one!
Inca

Post by Inca »

So frustrated. Another puzzle that I feel I "should" get but somehow I'm just not seeing it. Oh well, I guess I'll see on Monday
eagle1279

Post by eagle1279 »

Baffled at the ship’s bar.
otlaolap

Post by otlaolap »

Hopelessly lost at sea. The puzzle is not featureless -- it is not like staring at a brick wall -- but nothing I look at is revealing. But again I am happy to have puzzles that are puzzles. Getting some padding ready for my head when the answer is posted as I don't want my hand to hurt it when it hits it.
Ben B

Post by Ben B »

We are at the bar with Isaac this week, not even able to find step one on this one. I’m looking forward to the great learning opportunity tonight at 11 central time! But the weather has been absolutely perfect this weekend so not all is lost.