#17 - "Combo Platter"

Creative and challenging meta crosswords (currently on hiatus) from: www.pgwcc.net
BrianMac
Site Admin

#17 - "Combo Platter"

Post by BrianMac »

The answer to the metapuzzle is a two-digit number appearing in the grid.

Good luck and happy solving!
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

Ooh, this is a good one!
Meg

Post by Meg »

Very clever!
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

Nice one.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

very clever...
LesY

Post by LesY »

Well I’ll be. I was going to give up but picked it up one last time and there it is. In some ways so simple yet still so very hard.

In the right ballpark early on but was missing one key possibility that, once my mind wandered onto it, opened the floodgates. Will share my specific mental block after the deadline.

Well done again, Peter!

Al, glad it sounds like you’re feeling better.
Hector

Post by Hector »

Rats. I had the A&W, M&M, and PB&J (though I wasn't confident of their relevance given that only PB&J is a "combo"), but didn't come close after that.

Congrats to all who got it!
LesY

Post by LesY »

Mental block mentioned last night was my favorite sandwich is a BLT. So my version of that approach was stuck on M&M, BLT, A&W for almost the full week. Once my mind wandered onto "lead = PB.....wait! PB&J!" it flowed from there.

I wonder which sandwich it'll be this week. I bet some of us have really long lists - I know I do!
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

It took me an extra day or so to notice, but the '76 makes this another appropriate July 4 puzzle! I was very impressed by this one.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Laura M wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:09 pm It took me an extra day or so to notice, but the '76 makes this another appropriate July 4 puzzle! I was very impressed by this one.
Yeah, I saw that too. I know I tend to "back-rationalize" when I do metas and can make sense of something that the constructor never intended, but I've got to believe that that number wasn't an accident.
LesY

Post by LesY »

Al Sisti wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:10 am
Laura M wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:09 pm It took me an extra day or so to notice, but the '76 makes this another appropriate July 4 puzzle! I was very impressed by this one.
Yeah, I saw that too. I know I tend to "back-rationalize" when I do metas and can make sense of something that the constructor never intended, but I've got to believe that that number wasn't an accident.
Agree, especially since it looks like he may have intentionally increased the word count to get there (lots of 3-letter words...).