"Jewel Case" - August 13, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
agatha

Post by agatha »

Feeling rusty. Can't find the path and 40A is laughing at me. Could use a nudge.
Bill_Swerski_13

Post by Bill_Swerski_13 »

Ashore! Well, I certainly played around with the rabbits today. Stepped away for a few hours and then quickly came ashore! It was helpful to deduce from people's comments that there actually is a clear mechanism here -- I had an initial "answer" that was truly grasping at straws.

2-for-2 to start out for me with the muggles, yay!
Kas

Post by Kas »

Yep: Had an answer, and it was “meh”—which is to say totally defensible, but lacking that “Oooooh, *YESSS*”-level transparency of a usual Gaffney. Then I looked again, and voila!! Root beer float me, I’m beach-bound!
(The click is good enough for Kas 3 status.)
Homer Buckle

Post by Homer Buckle »

Happy to be ashore before heading to the North Shore of Lake Superior and the Boundary Waters. I'm glad I got it before not having internet for a few days. I went down so many rabbit holes, but I can't share them now. I will be back in time for next week's puzzle!
dmorack

Post by dmorack »

Joining a crowded beach.
-Doug Morack
JoeS

Post by JoeS »

Ashore thanks to Natasha. I went down a few rabbit holes, shared them with her, and 5 minutes later she had it. Two heads.
Rad26

Post by Rad26 »

Took longer than I wanted but ashore. Have a great weekend.
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

Ohhh ok ok got it got it.

Did Gaffney not say in our zoom that he does not intentionally create rabbit holes?? Having this many red herrings all with a similar (misleading) theme argues otherwise .. can’t be coincidental! Maybe subconscious.. I could maybe believe that. Will list them out after deadline.. though I bet some of you all saw the same list I saw!

On shore, towed in by friendly muggles .. thanks guys!
The other Wendy. :roll:
skyhaggis

Post by skyhaggis »

Before I read how easy this was, I want to bask in the glory of finally figuring one out.
Anita

Post by Anita »

Toes in sand!
JeanneC

Post by JeanneC »

Grid done. Harvey is still keeping me company at the bar.
I was able to solve Dr. Tom’s Monday Muggles meta while Harvey was on another deck sunning himself (great puzzle, by the way!).

Hmm, solving Dr. Tom’s puzzle while Harvey was somewhere else…
Hey, wait a minute…!
“I cannot and will not cut my conscience to fit this year’s fashions”. Lillian Hellman
mntlblok

Post by mntlblok »

HeadinHome wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 11:14 pm Will list them out after deadline.. though I bet some of you all saw the same list I saw!
Was it related to googlage? We were thrown off by same. . .
ALS

Post by ALS »

Ashore, at 100%, albeit on my fourth or so look.

ALS
stmv

Post by stmv »

I got a very late start on this due to vacationing in the Kootenays (and being without a printer). I had several looks at it and got nowhere. Then I tried the MGWCC, where I initially got nowhere. Then while starting to brush my teeth I got a sudden flash of insight that turned out to be the key to solving the MGWCC. Then while finishing my teeth I got a second flash of insight that turned out to be the key to solving this one. It turned out that I had the right idea all along, I was just applying it in the wrong way. Now I can finish my vacation with a lighter heart.....
SingleMalt

Post by SingleMalt »

Ashore after overthinking EVERY step of the way.
czeemuggle

Post by czeemuggle »

on shore and drink in hand!
KayW

Post by KayW »

stmv wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 2:44 am I got a very late start on this due to vacationing in the Kootenays (and being without a printer). I had several looks at it and got nowhere. Then I tried the MGWCC, where I initially got nowhere. Then while starting to brush my teeth I got a sudden flash of insight that turned out to be the key to solving the MGWCC. Then while finishing my teeth I got a second flash of insight that turned out to be the key to solving this one. It turned out that I had the right idea all along, I was just applying it in the wrong way. Now I can finish my vacation with a lighter heart.....
…and a dazzling white smile :D Sounds like you used mental as well as dental floss.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
boharr

Post by boharr »

stmv wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 2:44 am I got a very late start on this due to vacationing in the Kootenays (and being without a printer). I had several looks at it and got nowhere. Then I tried the MGWCC, where I initially got nowhere. Then while starting to brush my teeth I got a sudden flash of insight that turned out to be the key to solving the MGWCC. Then while finishing my teeth I got a second flash of insight that turned out to be the key to solving this one. It turned out that I had the right idea all along, I was just applying it in the wrong way. Now I can finish my vacation with a lighter heart.....
Which toothpaste?
PeterLeea1a

Post by PeterLeea1a »

Easy swim ashore this week.
Joe

Post by Joe »

Just getting around to the puzzle this morning. Solved before my first cup of coffee!
Happy to give nudges. If you notice I've solved, please tell me about avenues you've explored so I can nudge you in the right direction and not off a cliff.