"I've Got Two Words For You" - July 30, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Flying_Burrito

Post by Flying_Burrito »

On shore and 99% sure of answer. I was a little disappointed, Shenk/Gaffney's metas always have a 'Soylent Green is people' moment (to quote the great Charlton Heston and to stay in the sci-fi genre) where the build-up of clues comes together elegantly with a solution that does not require necessarily Dr. Google involvement. This one had a couple of spins that could have become really interesting but fell a little short of my initial expectations Oh well, to the next one.
Senor Guaca Mole :mrgreen:
Ergcat

Post by Ergcat »

Olof wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:42 am It's one of those "pretty sure I'm on the beach, but probably haven't found that extra clue that makes me certain" weeks. So, maybe its a Skyy on the rocks for me this week?
A Skyy on the rocks At 5:42 am ?? :o :o
Limerick Savant

Post by Limerick Savant »

Installment #3

Lovely Solution

I’m ashore now, so make it official
There’s a meta in things interstitial
Find a writer for nerds …
Dedicated to no nonsense nonsense
BrennerTJ

Post by BrennerTJ »

Ashore I believe (not my genre... but puzzle + google have spoken). 🏖🍹
-Tamara
Limerick Savant

Post by Limerick Savant »

Dplass wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:13 am
SReh26 wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:32 pm
jh773 wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:50 am Solved, with more than a little prodding from you all. "Well-known" indeed...
I think Matt meant well known by google
Lolol!!!
Yes, I too will cop to needing a little help from the G-man for that final step but I attribute it to being out of touch and well, frankly, old. I think I will give a read before I decide whether the meta lives up to my favorites.
Dedicated to no nonsense nonsense
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Good Sunday morning muggles

First we welcome our newest muggles - Grdngrrl, AshleyNeleh and mindle - great to have more muggles

Next, I heard back from our author - this person has worked very hard and has a bruised ego because we are saying that she/he is not well known but it honored to be the subject of the meta.

We have 12 on the ship and 180 on the shore improving their knowledge of science fiction

Joining the party with Isaac are Grdngrrl and Olof

While making it to shore are

MajorDomoTom
Homer
AshleyNeleh
TeamDoubleTow
mikeB
Thurman8er
Jarrod
Scott L
Limerick
seahawks seashanty
Doug C
rosiegirl
mindle
femullen
Beth C
copperriver
BrennerTJ
JaneGummy
Flying_Burrito

Good luck and keep plugging.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Grdngrrl

Post by Grdngrrl »

Pretty sure I made it to shore with a nudge from a helpful veteran muggle!
SReh26

Post by SReh26 »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:57 am Good Sunday morning muggles

First we welcome our newest muggles - Grdngrrl, AshleyNeleh and mindle - great to have more muggles

Next, I heard back from our author - this person has worked very hard and has a bruised ego because we are saying that she/he is not well known but it honored to be the subject of the meta.

We have 12 on the ship and 180 on the shore improving their knowledge of science fiction

MajorDomoTom
Homer
AshleyNeleh
TeamDoubleTow
mikeB
Thurman8er
Jarrod
Scott L
Limerick
seahawks seashanty
Doug C
rosiegirl
mindle
femullen
Beth C
copperriver
BrennerTJ
JaneGummy
Flying_Burrito

please tell the author the average age of these posters, myself included. [spoiler removed]
woozy

Post by woozy »

[spoiler removed]

Yeah, I always feel the "Well, *I* never heard of [spoiler removed] so it can't be that well-known" is a little .... well, self-centered. And even if there are a lot of people saying it that often means the the group of people are ... well, all in the out crowd.

Anyway the google entry...... Yeah, the quantify "well known" .... is fair. (Sold a lot of well read and well received books)
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
KscX

Post by KscX »

Gaffney is cool and kudos to him for opening Sci Fi doors for us.
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

I am ashore, finally. Went back to the first list I made, and there was the key. Bet I was in more rabbit holes than most of you.
Cynthia
steveb

Post by steveb »

SReh26 wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 12:15 pm
Bob cruise director wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:57 am Good Sunday morning muggles

MajorDomoTom
Homer
AshleyNeleh
TeamDoubleTow
mikeB
Thurman8er
Jarrod
Scott L
Limerick
seahawks seashanty
Doug C
rosiegirl
mindle
femullen
Beth C
copperriver
BrennerTJ
JaneGummy
Flying_Burrito

please tell the author the average age of these posters, myself included. [spoiler removed]
Unless your story is apocryphal, it would be very cool if the author entered the contest and won the mug! I'm not a sci-fi fan (I didn't even watch Star Trek), but I was impressed by what I learned about this particular person.
Ben B

Post by Ben B »

And just like that we are on shore! Son returned last night and I showed him the deep rabbit hole I had been pursuing since Friday. He looked with fresh eyes and a quick mind and said “but what about” and it was bye-bye Isaac! Hello sangria please. And a sweet tea.
boharr

Post by boharr »

steveb wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:28 pm
SReh26 wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 12:15 pm

Unless your story is apocryphal, it would be very cool if the author entered the contest and won the mug! I'm not a sci-fi fan (I didn't even watch Star Trek), but I was impressed by what I learned about this particular person.
Forget entering the contest. When this is all done, we should send the author an honorary mug.
Last edited by boharr on Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Conrad

Post by Conrad »

These are two critically different statements:

- I have never heard of this author
- This author is not well-known

The first is a fact, and the 2nd can be a interpreted as a subjective judgment. I'd ask posters here that are saying the 2nd to consider the distinction. I have a lot of thoughts on this subject, which I will share after the deadline to avoid spoilers.

This author is quantifiably well-known.
Check out my meta crossword writeups on Crossword Fiend: https://crosswordfiend.com/author/conrad/
iggystan

Post by iggystan »

On shore, finally, I believe. Needed multiple looks over the last few days.
(Didn't have much time until today because my oldest grandson came for a 20th birthday party on Friday and we had a memorial service for my wife's brother-in-law's mother yesterday.)
BreeZynCO

Post by BreeZynCO »

I have submitted an answer but I am not convinced it is the correct one, we will find out in a few hours!
Ann

Post by Ann »

On the shore!
debbierudy

Post by debbierudy »

Ashore - I think. Not familiar with this writer but now would like to be!
Kas

Post by Kas »

Okay MUGgles: I have read this author, which is "well known" enough for me.
And I'm remembering the many, many Metas where some other area of knowledge was more opaque to me (many sports, obscure geography, etc.), SO THIS WAS *MY* TURN, and I will continue to enjoy basking shamelessly in all of the kvetching and grousing, muah ha haaaa!!!

Uh...I am fully acknowledging here that in my years-long muglessness, I might be a smidge bitter... :D