#15 - "Étrange Échange"

Creative and challenging meta crosswords (currently on hiatus) from: www.pgwcc.net
BrianMac
Site Admin

#15 - "Étrange Échange"

Post by BrianMac »

The answer to PGW #15 is a plural noun that is five letters in English.

There is a hard version and an easy version, though PGW warns that the easy version is not a gimme.

Happy solving!
Toby

Post by Toby »

I just did the grid on the "easy" version, and don't think anyone need worry about the easy version being too easy!
Tina

Post by Tina »

I'm doing the hard version, and I've got nothing.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

I got the first step(s) fairly quickly (something jumped out), and thought the final answer would just as quickly emerge as a result. It hasn't yet. I do have something... now I've got to figure out what to do with it.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Al Sisti wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:44 pm I got the first step(s) fairly quickly (something jumped out), and thought the final answer would just as quickly emerge as a result. It hasn't yet. I do have something... now I've got to figure out what to do with it.
...and two minutes later, it hit me (if it's right).
TMart

Post by TMart »

Tough grid. So far, nothing on the meta.
Tina

Post by Tina »

Al Sisti wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:52 pm
Al Sisti wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:44 pm I got the first step(s) fairly quickly (something jumped out), and thought the final answer would just as quickly emerge as a result. It hasn't yet. I do have something... now I've got to figure out what to do with it.
Are you doing the hard or easy version?
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

This is a seriously great one, assuming I did it right. (If I didn't, then probably it's even better than I thought.) But like many PGW puzzles so far, it would be very difficult to figure out without some particular knowledge.
Edited to add: Surprisingly, I did the hard version.
Hector

Post by Hector »

I suspect I'm in the former position, posting so that I'll get the insight in two minutes . . .
Meg

Post by Meg »

I did the hard version. Gnarly grid. I eventually got an answer, though the last step seemed somewhat weird. Anyway, I sent it in. We'll see.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Hector

Post by Hector »

Huh, I wonder if the only answer I've identified is correct after all, then. It doesn't not make sense, but it seems to discard material from the previous steps in an unusual way. I'll wait for someone to declare that it's 100%...
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Tina wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:53 pm
Are you doing the hard or easy version?
I did the hard one...
Meg

Post by Meg »

Peter responded and my answer was correct. The last step is still awkward IMHO.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

Do I get bonus points for doing this meta on graph paper as I was celebrating my 25th wedding anniversary in Slovenia? Started it after dinner last night and finished it (I'm pretty sure) on a bus ride today. I did the easier version, and misinterpreted one of the helpful hints in it, which slowed me down quite a bit. But it was fun to have one where I knew I was on the right track but would have to work at it.
Hector

Post by Hector »

Finally got it (I'm pretty sure, too). My earlier answer was sensible in its way, but not nearly as satisfying, as the last step was too much out of left field. I did the hard one, and I'd recommend trying that one because I'm not sure exactly who the hints in the easy version will help; if you have the knowledge the meta draws on (and not everyone does), the hints will be unnecessary, and if you don't, they will probably be insufficient. Another solid construction from PGW!

Congrats on your 25th FrankieHeck!
pgw

Post by pgw »

FrankieHeck wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:15 pm Do I get bonus points for doing this meta on graph paper as I was celebrating my 25th wedding anniversary in Slovenia? Started it after dinner last night and finished it (I'm pretty sure) on a bus ride today. I did the easier version, and misinterpreted one of the helpful hints in it, which slowed me down quite a bit. But it was fun to have one where I knew I was on the right track but would have to work at it.
Being in Slovenia is bonus points enough. Interestingly, an earlier version of this grid had SLOVENIA at 53-across!
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

Meg wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:57 am Peter responded and my answer was correct. The last step is still awkward IMHO.
I agree it's unexpected, and it takes a bit of a leap to get there, but I think it ties everything up very neatly!
Beth Tyrpin

Post by Beth Tyrpin »

I finally figured it out. The last step seems logical to me.
Tom Shea

Post by Tom Shea »

pgw wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:11 pm
FrankieHeck wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:15 pm Do I get bonus points for doing this meta on graph paper as I was celebrating my 25th wedding anniversary in Slovenia? Started it after dinner last night and finished it (I'm pretty sure) on a bus ride today. I did the easier version, and misinterpreted one of the helpful hints in it, which slowed me down quite a bit. But it was fun to have one where I knew I was on the right track but would have to work at it.
Being in Slovenia is bonus points enough. Interestingly, an earlier version of this grid had SLOVENIA at 53-across!
I haven't gotten the answer, but it is sure nice seeing that you're participating in our cruise group.

Love the puzzles, by the way.
Rufus T. Firefly
LesY

Post by LesY »

Wow - what a journey! Really enjoyed this one.

I solved the hard version and gutted it out step by step. Got to the last step through what may have been a side door - am wondering if that side door was intentional. From looking at the easy version I ultimately got there the intended way.

Thanks very much to Peter for all these great puzzles! This one in particular was very satisfying.