"We're Back in Business" - July 16, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

Saturday suppertime report!

There must be a LOT of productive brainstorming going on in Isaac's bar, as formerly ship-bound Dr. Tom, Maine Marge, Jane Gummy, and Hunter X have all made it to shore today. Also celebrating are Tony Robots, Lacangah, Mama E, Obie J, Jennie Byrd, EVJ, Dow Jones, 802 Puzzler, Copper River (who put in a heartfelt paean to the powers of coffee), CP Johnson, Bread-Girl, and Peter Lee a1a.

Welcoming our third new Muggle this week: Shirley! She is a long-time solver (including this week's puzzle), first-time poster. We're glad to have you.

Keeping Isaac in business (in addition to many others) are JR Dad, Emily W (who ordered a Guinness to aid her solving powers), Jeanne C, Danny Walter, Susie G, and Guy.

I am looking forward to Monday's discussion of this puzzle. Several Muggles (including me) have commented that they had the right idea from the get-go but had trouble executing it. Perseverance pays off!
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
SReh26

Post by SReh26 »

just got to shore.... after receiving 8 or more life preservers

🤓🙄🙄🙄

I usually offer nudges but this time I‘m only accepting condolences and notes of courage
Last edited by SReh26 on Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MamaE

Post by MamaE »

KayW wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 5:22 pm
MamaE wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 4:02 pm Finally ashore!! Thanks again to lifeguard @Wendy Walker!

ETA: I accidentally hit 1/2 a star as my rating - is there a way to change/fix that? To me it was more like a 3.5 or 4! @BrianMac - is this something you could do?
I think once you rate a puzzle, that's IT. No do-overs. But I'll tell you what: if you like, I can rate it a 5 to help "compensate". I haven't rated it yet, and thought it was maybe a 1.5, myself. We Chicago folks are used to negotiating votes ;)

But more importantly... you solved this week's MGWCC BEFORE you got this one?!?! Brava, sweet #16!! My hat is off to you. I'm still staring at that one :shock: :shock: :shock:
Yep - the MGWCC just fell for me - no nudges needed. I was shocked too!

Also, LOL about your Chicago reference - my husband’s family hails from there and I get the “negotiating votes” 🤣
- Just puzzling it out here in Delmarva :D
auee89

Post by auee89 »

Ashore with help from @Joe Ross ! I was closing in on something, but Joe got me out of my own way. Not submitting, so I guess I brought Isaac with me to the beach? Either way, I will be under the table again for another week!

BTW, what a great puzzle!
Kevin
JAQT

Post by JAQT »

I'm still with Isaac -- I can't even get my toe in the water (so to speak).
JustAQuickThought
EmilyW

Post by EmilyW »

It took a while for the Guinness to kick in, but it worked and I am on the shore!
Magistra

Post by Magistra »

Surrounded by rabbits. Can't see my way to shore.
Preterosso

Post by Preterosso »

Pretty sure we’re on the shore, but not as elegant as we would prefer. But three letters means three letters!
C=64

Post by C=64 »

SReh26 wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:01 pm just got to shore.... after receiving 8 or more life preservers
But really, it felt like only 5 or 6 on my end. 😉
SilviaV

Post by SilviaV »

I think I’ve made it to the sandbar with a little help from a fellow muggle!
SReh26

Post by SReh26 »

I‘ve recovered somewhat.

I‘ll be glad to give a nudge or two this evening or tomorrow but between the heatwave in Srehland and this brutal meta, I‘m not at my best this weekend.

I‘m also not submitting my answer this weekend.
TheCatt

Post by TheCatt »

Back on the beach!
SReh26

Post by SReh26 »

C=64 wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:31 pm
SReh26 wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:01 pm just got to shore.... after receiving 8 or more life preservers
But really, it felt like only 5 or 6 on my end. 😉
1st class nudges btw.
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

HunterX wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 4:18 pm
Tiki Bar.jpg Dunes.jpg

(Insane sand dune and scenic overlook at Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore, MI)
We got engaged oh so many years ago at Sleeping Bear Dunes. Sitting at the top of the dunes watching the sun set. Definitely NOT climbing down and then up the monstrous dunes!
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

LadyBird wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 10:53 pm
HunterX wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 4:18 pm
Tiki Bar.jpg Dunes.jpg

(Insane sand dune and scenic overlook at Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore, MI)
We got engaged oh so many years ago at Sleeping Bear Dunes. Sitting at the top of the dunes watching the sun set. Definitely NOT climbing down and then up the monstrous dunes!
Nice! That's the dune that my son took me all the way down (referenced last week). And I soundly beat him on the climb back up. Had to go on all fours, slamming my hands and feet in as deeply into the sand as I could to keep from sliding back with each step.
escapeartist

Post by escapeartist »

Toes in the sand - beer in the hand

Harder than I would have thought for a tricksy 3 letter answer.

Short and sweet I guess!
* 2022 WSJ Mug Winner - I bask in its Glory *
MarkWoychick
Site Admin

Post by MarkWoychick »

OK, I am ashore - hopefully on the right beach. Either way, I am submitting my answer. Looking forward to the reveal and discussion on Monday.

Edit: definitely the right beach. When I woke up this morning, somehow the mechanism was fully revealed to me.
Last edited by MarkWoychick on Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 contest-style (meta) crosswords that we've created to help raise money for cancer-related organizations - get the bundle at http://crosswordsforcancer.com
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

yourpalsal wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 6:50 pm Ashore, enjoyed it and make mine an ale! Back from Costa Rica, and I thought you all might enjoy a gander at this easy-going fella I photographed near our hotel…
And here is me thinking sloth was a sin, well he is as cute as sin....
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
seahawks_seashanty

Post by seahawks_seashanty »

Stuck on the boat again...I'd love a nudge from anyone to help me catch a glimpse of shore (and this amazing construction that everyone keeps hinting at)!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

On a wet rainy shore with the help of the coast guard
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director