"Under the Table" - July 9, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
MaineMarge

Post by MaineMarge »

Stumped. So enjoying the Muggle bon homie here with Isaac. Thinking of having me some moonshine…
BE87CD1F-C6D0-4721-B0CC-3835445563CD.jpeg
The stump of a beloved maple tree makes the perfect seat to enjoy the yellow Moonshine yarrow( right), white foxglove and red West Elkton peony nearby.
6/26/21 photo
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

Stage 2: Anger. I'm angry that I can't figure this out.
Mister Squawk

Post by Mister Squawk »

Ashore.

Was this easy? Sure, once you've solved it. You have the pieces, it's just a question of how they connect.

And FWIW I liked the different mechanisms involved, and how each was required.
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

Ugghhhh…. I don’t see it I don’t see it I don’t see it…. 😭

(Edit: got it now. Out of my misery.)
Last edited by HeadinHome on Sat Jul 10, 2021 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The other Wendy. :roll:
auee89

Post by auee89 »

HeadinHome wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:24 am Ugghhhh…. I don’t see it I don’t see it I don’t see it…. 😭
Right there with you! The longer I stay with Isaac, I may truly end up under the table. Hope that's not a spoiler - no clue!
Kevin
Powers2020

Post by Powers2020 »

On the beach at the beach! Greetings from Litchfield Beach, SC!
Kas

Post by Kas »

Grid. Check.
Meta...not so much. Waiting for inspiration...
So that's technically "off the ship and comfortably settled in the lifeboat, but..."
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

Bob cruise director wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:19 am
whimsy wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:02 pm ASHORECapturebunnywithbeachaccessories.PNG
@whimsy Claudia - for the first time in almost 50 years of growing, I have rabbits eating my rose bushes - leaves and buds of the newer ones. And I blame your pictures. My plan is to catch them in my havahart trap and bring them to Hopkinton. :lol:
Here comes Bob again -
Capturebob.PNG
Captureillbeback.PNG
Not to worry -- he'll be back ----
(Takes a tough man to wear a bunny on his jacket.)
Last edited by whimsy on Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
EVJ

Post by EVJ »

LAS
mntlblok

Post by mntlblok »

Mister Squawk wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:06 am Ashore.

Was this easy? Sure, once you've solved it. You have the pieces, it's just a question of how they connect.

And FWIW I liked the different mechanisms involved, and how each was required.
Aha. More than one mechanism. . .

And, apparently more than two. . .
EVJ

Post by EVJ »

SusieG wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:54 pm
DrTom wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:47 pm I’ve said it before, I'll say it again... I hate the puzzles everyone calls "easy" because those never are for me. I must look at these oddly because the more obtuse I often see relatively quickly.

So, on the ship and waiting for a drink.

T
I’m with you! I see nothing and feel a little foolish while everyone else is onshore.
Me three!
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

Bob cruise director wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:33 am
Miki wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 6:43 am
Al Sisti wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:08 pm Safely ashore. Guinness me please!
Impressive 8 minute solve!
It takes me 8 minutes to find a pencil...
@miki @Al Sisti What is even more impressive is that it did not appear on the WSJ page until 3 minutes after 4. I barely had time to get the topic open before Al posted - I want a video of Al solving some time
Who knows? Maybe... just MAYBE... he's been fooling us all along, posting that he's done when he has an inkling of the answer, knowing he'll have it in a few seconds.

Or minutes.

Or hours.... ;)

For the record, I would NEVER suggest that of Al, unless as a joke. As this is. Too many others get the answer almost as quickly. And some weeks Al actually DOESN'T get it for a couple of days. That always makes me feel like there's hope for me getting quick at these. (Last week was quick, actually.) I just don't start the puzzle until Friday evening these days. And, frankly, I like to savor the "a... HA!" moment. Looking forward to starting this one later today.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Good Friday morning Muggles

We have an interesting challenge from Mr. Shenk that some find as a Kas 1 and others as a Kas 4. For those that are new KasDeCarvalho (post 127 this week) created this scale several years ago (posted in Come Aboard/FAQ's - Community/Solving Resources) and it still is valid

And we welcome our newest muggle - Cuse (a Syracuse grad perhaps?)

So far we have 16 on the ship and 72 on the shore.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
nanalafleur

Post by nanalafleur »

Done - I start every one of these thinking I'm lost at sea, and slowly the synapsis go off!
hoover

Post by hoover »

HunterX wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:59 am
Miki wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 6:43 am
Impressive 8 minute solve!
It takes me 8 minutes to find a pencil...
@miki @Al Sisti What is even more impressive is that it did not appear on the WSJ page until 3 minutes after 4. I barely had time to get the topic open before Al posted - I want a video of Al solving some time
Who knows? Maybe... just MAYBE... he's been fooling us all along, posting that he's done when he has an inkling of the answer, knowing he'll have it in a few seconds.

Or minutes.

Or hours.... ;)

For the record, I would NEVER suggest that of Al, unless as a joke. As this is. Too many others get the answer almost as quickly. And some weeks Al actually DOESN'T get it for a couple of days. That always makes me feel like there's hope for me getting quick at these. (Last week was quick, actually.) I just don't start the puzzle until Friday evening these days. And, frankly, I like to savor the "a... HA!" moment. Looking forward to starting this one later today.
I know that I personally have never seen Al Sisti and Mike Shenk in the same place at the same time... Just sayin'!*

*Disclaimer: I've never met either one of these esteemed gentlemen, so I've certainly never met them in the same place at the same time.
EmilyW

Post by EmilyW »

Finally back on the beach after staying on the boat for a few weeks.
JeanneC

Post by JeanneC »

Onshore (pretty sure) after several weeks. Hellllooo, cabana boy! Too early for alcohol (alas). Think I’ll kick back and watch the men’s semis at Wimbledon.
“I cannot and will not cut my conscience to fit this year’s fashions”. Lillian Hellman
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

hoover wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:20 pm
HunterX wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:59 am

Or minutes.

Or hours.... ;)

For the record, I would NEVER suggest that of Al, unless as a joke. As this is.
I know that I personally have never seen Al Sisti and Mike Shenk in the same place at the same time... Just sayin'!*

*Disclaimer: I've never met either one of these esteemed gentlemen, so I've certainly never met them in the same place at the same time.
And we have a new "A-HA!" moment?
Mulligan

Post by Mulligan »

I'm still hanging with Isaac. I found the grid to be lively and very clean for a meta. No fill that looks obviously shoehorned in to give me a hint of where the meta lies. I'll continue pondering for a while...
mlvilv

Post by mlvilv »

On shore! I think I’m getting the hang of these