"Hotlinks" - June 25, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Ben B

Post by Ben B »

And if anyone is ever near Houston the Sugarland Skeeters are a fun outing. And yes we score the games too!
SReh26

Post by SReh26 »

just want to give a post-yoga Namaskar (that’s the formal version of namaste) to our esteemed brethren and sistren (yeah I can make up a word too) who made this all possible and do the behind the scenes thankless hard work that brings us so much joy. We salute you! (please fill in anyone I missed - Im a thick skulled newbie)

Bob Cruise Director
Brian Mac
Joe Ross
Boharr
Dr. Tom
Wendy Walker
Al Sisti
Matt
Mike
Last edited by SReh26 on Sun Jun 27, 2021 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

SReh26 wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 1:03 pm just want to give a post-yoga Namaskar (that’s the formal version of namaste) to our esteemed brethren and sistren (yeah I can make up a word too) who made this all possible and do the behind the scenes thankless hard work that brings us so much joy. We salute you! (please fill in anyone I missed - Im a thick skulled newbie)

Bob Cruise Director
Brian Mac
Joe Ross
Boharr
Dr. Tom
Wendy Walker
Matt
Mike
You are very kind to include me in that amazing list, but I do very little except brag when I solve, sulk when I don't, and occasionally offer a helpful nudge that the nudgee would've figured out on his or her own anyway. Our Muggle community is, in a word, a UTOPIA.
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
SReh26

Post by SReh26 »

Wendy Walker wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 1:10 pm
SReh26 wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 1:03 pm just want to give a post-yoga Namaskar (that’s the formal version of namaste) to our esteemed brethren and sistren (yeah I can make up a word too) who made this all possible and do the behind the scenes thankless hard work that brings us so much joy. We salute you! (please fill in anyone I missed - Im a thick skulled newbie)

Bob Cruise Director
Brian Mac
Joe Ross
Boharr
Dr. Tim
Wendy Walker
Matt
Mike
You are very kind to include me in that amazing list, but I do very little except brag when I solve, sulk when I don't, and occasionally offer a helpful nudge that the nudgee would've figured out on his or her own anyway. Our Muggle community is, in a word, a UTOPIA.
ALAS, I ERRED. 🤣 Wendy, you are our MUSE!
Last edited by SReh26 on Sun Jun 27, 2021 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gman

Post by Gman »

Helicoptered to shore by a fellow muggle! This was WAY harder than a 2 star unless you are already familiar with the mechanism. Now I have a new trick to remember.
tonyrobots

Post by tonyrobots »

On shore, toes wiggling in the sand. One of those where it came like a bolt of lightning when I wrote out the theme answers. Good luck to anyone still at sea!
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

I've thoroughly explored countless rabbit holes to no avail. I have my Hail Mary answer ready if inspiration doesn't strike this afternoon. Really holding off on asking for a nudge because I would love to keep my streak alive (32 and counting--or maybe not!) I'll see how desperate I'm feeling in a few hours.
STL-D

Post by STL-D »

Well, I finally got it, courtesy of boharr. He paddled out to the ship, paid my (substantial) bar bill with Isaac, belted a life jacket on me, paddled me back to shore, bought me a drink from the tiki bar, and offered me his sunscreen, since I would likely be too dense to have my own. LOL

Good puzzle, I was on the right track all of the time, but would not have gotten it.
CopperRiver

Post by CopperRiver »

Oh my gosh. FINALLY on shore. I'm so tired from that swim. Good puzzle.
Hope everyone has a great week!
MatthewL

Post by MatthewL »

Welp, despite our esteemed Cruise Director listing me on shore, I remain on the ship. This is looking more and more like a DNF for me. I've stared at this darn thing for the last 3 days and I see nothing. This may just be one that I'm never going to see. I'll take another look tonight and see if inspiration strikes, but if not, on to next week!
Matthew
hunkra

Post by hunkra »

Made it to shore with a final nudge (thank you nudger!) -- was almost there, but lacking a bit of organization. Clever puzzle -- now for something really frosty... an ice cold Paloma, perhaps?
Channeling Molly Weasley on a good day.
YoungestCopperRiver

Post by YoungestCopperRiver »

CopperRiver wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 2:08 pm Oh my gosh. FINALLY on shore. I'm so tired from that swim. Good puzzle.
She beat me to the answer this week... but I eventually found a spot next to Mom on shore! The running score of what I'm now calling "Race to Shore" is 1-1 in our household. Happy Sunday everybody!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

YoungestCopperRiver wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 2:44 pm
CopperRiver wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 2:08 pm Oh my gosh. FINALLY on shore. I'm so tired from that swim. Good puzzle.
She beat me to the answer this week... but I eventually found a spot next to Mom on shore! The running score of what I'm now calling "Race to Shore" is 1-1 in our household. Happy Sunday everybody!
You will learn that the right answer is that you graciously allowed your mother to get to shore before you. No matter what the truth is. Great to have you here
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
LaurenB

Post by LaurenB »

It’s been a while, but I’m on shore for this one!
DannyWalter

Post by DannyWalter »

Not sure why, but this puzzle reminds me of Jack Benny with Mel Blanc.
"Hello. What is your name?"
"Sy". "Sy?" "Si".
"I see you have your wife with you. What's your name dear?"
"Sue". Sue?" "Si"
"What do you do, Sue?"
"Sew". "Sew?" "Si"
And so on.

Working with Isaac, we're putting a routine together, maybe we'll be the opening act in the lounge.
. . . "I guess I will be Sy". "Sy? si".
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

Joe Ross wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:40 am Ashore, battered & bent.

Knew what I had to do in a general way. Couldn't do it. Remembered a major rule of engagement.

Excellent puzzle.
I found a spreadsheet to be helpful. /Ducks
ricky

Post by ricky »

Wow, I danced around this one for seemingly forever. 6 different spreadsheet tabs, none of which led me to the answer. Started over again about 10 minutes ago and finally spotted the connection I was missing.
Check out the meta challenge at Lexicon Devil

Latest puzzle: "This Place Looks Familiar," March 7, 2024

Deadline: Tuesday, March 12, 2024, 12 PM EST
BethA

Post by BethA »

BethA wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 8:10 am 🌊 🛥 🏊‍♀️ 🌊

Somewhat lost at sea.
Last week’s was easier for me.
Sunday night solves are the most thrilling!
So no nudge for me.
Huzzah! I’m now on the beach! 🏖 🍷

Brainstorming with Dan jogged something loose in my brain, but it was a solo solve. He is on a meta break and didn’t even look at this week’s til a little bit ago. This was more like our old way, where I could discuss it with him if I was still stuck on Sunday.

Almost a DUH moment rather than AHA, for taking so long, but I’ll take it!
Horsesense
Location: Sometimes Michigan, Sometimes Texas, but Maine at Heart

Post by Horsesense »

On the shore.
Time for a sazerac please and thank you 😊
minimuggle

Post by minimuggle »

Onshore with some nice nudges from Wendy and Mike. Frustrated with myself as I was on the right track but gave up too soon. Won't submit so no chance for a mug for me. Happy weekend everyone