"Pardon My English" - June 4, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
KayW

Post by KayW »

BethA wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 7:23 am
meowmiao71 wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:29 am I am pretty sure I have the answer, but I'm stuck at the last 25% like so many others. Going to stare at the kitten until he coughs up an answer or a hairball.

EDIT: Got it! The kitten was no help. I got stuck on something I'm sure MANY people will. Very clever one!
My calendar says that today is Hug Your Cat Day. Isn’t every day?! 🐈‍⬛ 🐈
No offense, but I like MY calendar better. Today is National Donut Day. Isn't every day?! :doughnut: :heart:
Last edited by KayW on Fri Jun 04, 2021 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
NuYear68

Post by NuYear68 »

Finally connected all of the dots after correcting part of the mechanism, leading to a very satisfying solve. Happy to be onshore with the growing crowd.

Stay well!
Paul
CopperRiver

Post by CopperRiver »

Like many others, I've got 75% of the answer. Still working on it.

Update: On shore!
zach

Post by zach »

I’m chilling with Isaac forcing him to listen to me commiserate about my disdain for parentheses.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

A lot of work but our team is on the shore.

Very clever and it all fits together - takes some time but it does.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Well THAT was brutal! Finally ashore but not without hailing a tug. I had almost everything I needed, except that some knowledge hurt me on the initial go through. I also never noticed the thing that was staring me RIGHT in the FACE until someone told me to take a deep breath and re-evaluate what I had by looking at my answers (not saying who but his initials are JR and nobody would ever try to shoot HIM).

So ashore for shore.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

OH, and let me pull a "Wendy" here, even though this is intended for hcbirker! Look what I found when I was rumaging to find my "Wind Mitigation" documents for renewing my home insurance! No disk in it, and I obviously saved it because it was a good time to put things in (I'm a packrat unfortunately - product of a post war family in NE Pennsylvania) but there it was, a piece of online history:
AOL small.jpg
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

boharr wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:25 pm So many here are talking about percentages that I'm going to need @Joe Ross to make me up a spreadsheet just to understand the odds. Even though I've solved it.
You'll find @zach & others with better spreadsheets, charts, & stats. We have some serious data savants in this club!
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
Big Mac

Post by Big Mac »

On shore! Wow that was quite a puzzle. Impressive.
SilviaV

Post by SilviaV »

I’m stumped! Last week, I noticed the Roman numerals quickly, though I never noticed the letters to the left of them. This week, I haven’t even found anything to start with. Nothing is standing out. Anyone have any advice?
Homer Buckle

Post by Homer Buckle »

I am going to spend some time with Isaac. Not seeing anything yet.
LesY

Post by LesY »

Ashore. Excellent! And enjoyed the perhaps-cheeky allusion to a recent week.
minimuggle

Post by minimuggle »

I think I'm on step 3 and thought it would jump out at me after that....Looking for more clues. Definitely a fun one.
kamashdas

Post by kamashdas »

On shore! Frustrating Thursday but sleeping helped for a Friday solve. Very "Matt-like" puzzle/meta. Very satisfying!
DianeA

Post by DianeA »

On shore! Struggled last night and this morning...thought i'd be at the bar with Isaac all weekend. Went down a number of 11D, then found the correct turn. Glad to have that off my mind... Couples Golf Tournament (aka the Divorce Open) on Sunday. Will need to be focused on that and not trying to solve the meta between swings.
mheberlingx100

Post by mheberlingx100 »

Joe Ross wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:53 pm
boharr wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:25 pm So many here are talking about percentages that I'm going to need @Joe Ross to make me up a spreadsheet just to understand the odds. Even though I've solved it.
You'll find @zach & others with better spreadsheets, charts, & stats. We have some serious data savants in this club!
My calculation was that if I played for 13 years, I would have a 50% chance of winning the mug at least once. That assumes that I got the right answer every week and there were 1,000 correct entries every week.
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

Ashore, after being thrown a dingie and aided by SeaTow.
Dave C

Post by Dave C »

Just had a chance to look at the meta and found the mechanism quite readily. It all worked out for me with no 25% question...
DBMiller

Post by DBMiller »

mheberlingx100 wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:15 pm
Joe Ross wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:53 pm
My calculation was that if I played for 13 years, I would have a 50% chance of winning the mug at least once. That assumes that I got the right answer every week and there were 1,000 correct entries every week.
Close. With those constraints, .999 chance that you are not chosen each week. .999 ^ (13*52) = .508 so not quite there yet. Need another 17 weeks to just push over the mark.
If I'm around, I am willing to join the Muggle Zoom room at other times to lend a hand to those in need.
grwinski

Post by grwinski »

Well, can you be '75% on-shore'? (Kind of like 'sort-of pregnant'?).

Well, and given that we're here, perhaps we're a little more than 75%..... maybe like the joke of getting half of the way to Marilyn in infinite steps... close enough!......so we've submitted (not going to ask anyone for a nudge).

Will be interested to see the total solution. Onto the weekend!

Rita and George