"Cooking By The Numbers" - May 28, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
mlvilv

Post by mlvilv »

Floating around at sea... I've spied a couple of different possibilities but I think they're just rabbit holes based on everyone saying to not over think this. Any assistance would be appreciated.
michpuzzler

Post by michpuzzler »

Ashore! Have a great Saturday everyone.
Olaf

Post by Olaf »

On shore! Hurray! I’ve been with Isaac the last couple of weeks. Last weeks puzzle was hopeless for me, and following directions - well I was on the right track but just didn’t see all the steps. Focused on news, but missed udlr! So it’s nice to get off the boat for a change.

I got this pretty quickly, which usually means it’s an easy one!
mlvilv

Post by mlvilv »

On shore, but once again with help. I had the actual answer as an idea but until I got the help I didn't have a good enough or elegant enough reason for why it was the answer. Thanks group! I'll try again next week!
mlvilv

Post by mlvilv »

And one of my nudgers just pointed out an insane part of the construction of this puzzle. Hats off.
Michelle B

Post by Michelle B »

Still treading water...at least I'm off the ship this week. Still waiting for the Aha! moment.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

This is only easy if you spot the mechanism quickly - of course that is true of even the hardest ones. Don't feel badly and if you are still sipping with Isaac, send up a flare!
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Colin wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 9:40 am On shore! Hoist the flag!
Honor Memorial Day -
Great weekend to all!

[Edit: Just turned the heating on in NJ! 😂]
did the same in southern Maine - 40's and drizzly all weekend
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
EdStrong

Post by EdStrong »

At sea, fending off the rabbits with my oars...
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Good Saturday morning muggles

I hope everyone is having a great Memorial Day and thanks to all who have served and especially those who gave the ultimate sacrifice.

And welcome to our newest muggles - Zach and cheryl w.

And a note to all who have not seen it. We have our own muggle zoom account with the new link posted in the topic on Come Aboard

So far we have 8 keeping Isaac company and in business and 147 on the (hopefully) sunny warm shore.

On the ship are:
dplass
eagle1279
SewYoung
femullen
Commodore
hunkra
Josh
Michelle B

And on the crowded shore are
Kay
Al
Larrry
oldjudge
Chris
Beth T
spotter
Wendy
Jace54
Dannyvee
joe
BrennerTJ
sharkicicles
jrdad
Franklin
C=64
markhr
otlaolap
auee89
Mike H
Meg
yourpalsal
boharr
JimJim
Dave C
b4alltime
Schmeel
Beth A
Georgeall
mattythewsjpuzzler
Magistra
whimsy
Tom Mueller
Jim and Anita
Toby
paige
Cindy
Inca
dudeski
RPardoe
LittleGood
RobM
Dow Jones
Tmart
Joepickett
Thurman8er
MatthewL
ALS
Glyn
Zach
cheryl w
ajk
Laura
Andrew B
docison
TeamDoubleTow
RDaleHall
mbryant
HeadinHome
Tina
sanmilton
hoover
NDStegs
meekmouse
Heidi
edot
darth
Les
Gman
Eric P
MajorDomoTom
DrTom
escapeartist
Henry Paul
wb93
Lacangah
JennyByrd
fuggedabowdit
joes
mheverson
minimuggle
seahawks seashanty
stmv
Joe R
Steveb
ky-mike
michaelm
hashbrownoholic
D B Miller
rosiegirl
Mister Squawk
Omnibus
802puzzler
SReh26
Peter
Prozach
Guy L
JeanneC
Zagman49
Scott M
Moi
Beth C
Jean
Diane
kamashdas
CPJohnson
John B
NuYear68
iggystan
HunterX
sf592000
Bird Lives
dk letter
Doc
Peter L
copperriver
Hamrock
JaneGummy
Dennis
kdubs
Rita and George
Brian M
Nalugirl
Mary F
Harbo
Plymouth Rock
DapperDan
Homer
Ergcat
Bonnibel
lbary
horsesense
Grover
jhseeman
JRS51
TexasGopher
meowmiao71
KscX
Phil and Kelli
Orsys
bread-girl
Gerry
MaineMarge
michpuzzler
mlvilv
Colin
Olaf

Now on to Week 4 of MGWCC which is hot off the printer

Have a great weekend
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
OGuyDave

Post by OGuyDave »

Done and done, yesterday.

It's a good feeling when some of those strategies that have been pounded into your head help you along your way.

TFTXWD
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

Was diverted by a wedding so just got to the meta today. I am in 34A of Mr Shenk. Amazing construction. Count me ashore!!!

Was very strange to be in a room full of people without masks. Everyone vaccinated so ok per CDC. But wow did it feel weird.

Stay well all
PJM

Post by PJM »

Greetings all from rain-soaked South Jersey.

After a few weeks hiatus, I jumped back in this morning and paddled my way to shore.

I'll have a bourbon-honey-rosemary-orange bitters concoction of my own devising...once the sun is over the yardarm.

Cheers!
hunkra

Post by hunkra »

PJM wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 12:24 pm Greetings all from rain-soaked South Jersey.

After a few weeks hiatus, I jumped back in this morning and paddled my way to shore.

I'll have a bourbon-honey-rosemary-orange bitters concoction of my own devising...once the sun is over the yardarm.

Cheers!
Maybe is doesn't matter *when* you have it, since we won't see the sun today... :D
Channeling Molly Weasley on a good day.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

PJM wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 12:24 pm Greetings all from rain-soaked South Jersey.

Cheers!
I'm not much for mixing bourbon with anything but branch water, but I'll have what PJM's having. 😋
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
Hidden in 3D

Post by Hidden in 3D »

Ashore with a D'OH rather than an AHA! I had the first step on Thursday night, but couldn't see the forest through the trees until just now. Sheesh!
Sara
Susan Goldberg

Post by Susan Goldberg »

It’s funny how some come to me pretty quickly - like last week’s - and others I just stare at blankly - like this week; even though it seems others were generally more challenged by last week’s. Given the rain, I will probably be in staring at it on and off for the remainder of the weekend. I am hopeful that something will click...
Susan Goldberg

Post by Susan Goldberg »

Susan Goldberg wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 2:19 pm It’s funny how some come to me pretty quickly - like last week’s - and others I just stare at blankly - like this week; even though it seems others were generally more challenged by last week’s. Given the rain, I will probably be in staring at it on and off for the remainder of the weekend. I am hopeful that something will click...
And...bingo...just like that I am on shore. Now, I’ll have to do laundry for the rest of the weekend😉
Colin

Post by Colin »

Joe Ross wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 1:12 pm

Cheers!
I'm not much for mixing bourbon with anything but branch water, but I'll have what PJM's having. 😋
Shout out to Joe for two things:
1) His bourbon policies
2) The topical nature of his avatar - even CNN is all over this year's cicada phenomenon 😁 (Warning: This clip bleeps a lot!)
Last edited by Colin on Sat May 29, 2021 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
One world. One planet. One future.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Susan Goldberg wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 2:30 pm
Susan Goldberg wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 2:19 pm It’s funny how some come to me pretty quickly - like last week’s - and others I just stare at blankly - like this week; even though it seems others were generally more challenged by last week’s. Given the rain, I will probably be in staring at it on and off for the remainder of the weekend. I am hopeful that something will click...
And...bingo...just like that I am on shore. Now, I’ll have to do laundry for the rest of the weekend😉
I believe that there are laws about doing laundry on a holiday weekend
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director