"Cooking By The Numbers" - May 28, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
rosiegirl

Post by rosiegirl »

On shore with the help, once again, of a nudge in the right direction. Thanks, boharr!
Trey

Post by Trey »

Marion and I are on shore once again! In all honesty, she captained and did all the rowing and I was barely attached in the dinghy. Regardless, we are claiming success here as a team - with all credit provided to the Captain.

Luck to all.............
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

Bob--I made it ashore (on a chilly but sunny beach) at post #84.
Meg

Post by Meg »

Captain Stubing has passed away at 90. What a great actor he was.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
mitchel674

Post by mitchel674 »

Easy one for me this week after struggling last week. Count me on shore.
mitchel674

Post by mitchel674 »

Meg wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 4:48 pm Captain Stubing has passed away at 90. What a great actor he was.
Meg, I bring you greetings from Clearwater!
LesY

Post by LesY »

Meg wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 4:48 pm Captain Stubing has passed away at 90. What a great actor he was.
Sad to hear. Isaac just called all the beachcombers back to the ship for an open bar and storytelling. Raising a toast to Gavin M!
Meg

Post by Meg »

mitchel674 wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 4:52 pm
Meg, I bring you greetings from Clearwater!
I always welcome greetings. I think there are more than a few solvers in Florida. Just watched the Rays beat the Phillies!
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
JAQT

Post by JAQT »

In somewhat related news, Gavin MacLeod passed away this morning: https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/gavin- ... 84591/amp/
JustAQuickThought
eagle1279

Post by eagle1279 »

Ashore. Having contemplated for a couple of days and reviewing others' posts, I can't see any other possibilities for the meta answer. Until Sunday night when Joe posts the correct answer... :shock:
hunkra

Post by hunkra »

Made it to shore with a quick final nudge -- was practically there (doh!) As I told boharr I am blaming my lack of completion on the fact that I have house guests. Is there any room under the tarp with the wet, bedraggled masses, or should I be worried I'm going to be voted off the island?
Channeling Molly Weasley on a good day.
DaveKennison

Post by DaveKennison »

A much-needed trip to the mountains delayed my looking at the meta until this morning (and the cotton between my ears then delayed me even further), but, as I sat down to a late noon meal, I finally saw the light, dove off the ship, swam madly to the beach, claimed a tiny spot in the sand, and now pronounce myself proudly ... ASHORE!
Cindy N

Post by Cindy N »

Had a delayed start to the puzzle, but got into it Friday and made quick work of it. I do have a "why this not that" question, but it will keep.

For anyone in the Kenosha area - today's tap list is worth the drive!

For me it's time for a Bomb Pop Sour! Found a can in the back of the fridge and as wild as always.

Richard

Post by Richard »

Still with Issac

I guess others are seeing it easily but I don't see anything

Richard
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

Experimenting with changing my avatar......thanks, BrianMac, billkatz, and Joe Ross. This is a Spanish Eyes Black-eyed Susan (thunbergia), taken on 5/11/21. I'll post updated pictures as it grows. By October, it should be spectacular. (I hope it will, anyway. It was the last time I grew one.)
Cynthia
Deb F

Post by Deb F »

On shore! Having spent the last couple of weeks with Isaac, nice to see you all. Sad, though, at the news of the loss of Captain Stubing, Gavin McLeod, at the great age of 90. Let's all toast!
Happy Memorial Day.
bhamren

Post by bhamren »

On shore and on vacation. Printed out the pdf before I left and did the grid this morning. Looked at it this afternoon and found the rabbit hole I needed, but not the final step. My hat is off for such an elegant puzzle construction! Really amazing!
Kris Zacharias

Post by Kris Zacharias »

On shore. RIP, Gavin MacLeod, Captain Stubing. This Love Boat theme in this forum takes me back to a conversation that I once had with a colleague, who described the art films or performances that he attended on weekends. Because at the time my husband and I were raising three young children and usually stayed home during the weekends, I replied, somewhat wistfully perhaps, that all we did on Saturday nights was watch "The Love Boat." It was followed by "Fantasy Island." Seeing Ricardo Montalbán in his white suit was at first jarring, since my initial impression of him was in his role as Khan in the original "Star Trek" series.
Jackie88

Post by Jackie88 »

On shore! I thought the puzzle was easy and the meta just hard enough to give my brain a workout without too much of a sweat.
Janet

Post by Janet »

I am not yet ashore, but I am paddling in the right direction. Nice construction, everything ties in so I know I'm on the right track, just not coming up with the final step. I'll think some more tomorrow.