#14 - "Dropping Hints"

Creative and challenging meta crosswords (currently on hiatus) from: www.pgwcc.net
Hector

#14 - "Dropping Hints"

Post by Hector »

The answer to the metapuzzle is a familiar rhyme.

https://pgwcc.net/

Hard grid, creative meta.
TMart

Post by TMart »

Got it - liked this one a lot. Grid was a tough one.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

I have *an* answer, but it's not familiar to me... sitting on this one a bit.
Hector

Post by Hector »

I have two wee quibbles about the meta, which I happily chalk up to artistic license, but which make it hard for me to declare it quite 100% (supposing I have the right answer).
TMart

Post by TMart »

I find that pgw metas are usually not 100% hard click answers (which makes them a little more interesting sometimes). I was about 75% sure on this one, so I went ahead and submitted anyway. I hope I’m right.
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

That grid was nuts, and the meta was fun. After initially overlooking one important thing, I think I have the answer this morning. Will re-evaluate after a second cup of coffee.
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

The grid took me nearly as long as a Saturday Stumper! I'm close to sure about the meta, but the thing is (like at least one of PGW's previous puzzles, I think) if the answer isn't already familiar to you, it would be pretty tough to figure it out. I also might have the same two quibbles about the meta that Hector mentioned, but it works anyway. Very creative.
Toby

Post by Toby »

I got part of the way there, and submitted a wrong answer, but now have seen the light thanks to a hint. And since I had to do the grid on an airplane without internet access I'm awarding myself partial credit.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Al Sisti wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:59 pm I have *an* answer, but it's not familiar to me... sitting on this one a bit.
Well at least I found one that is familiar to me. Sending it in...
LesY

Post by LesY »

Does anyone know if they got the official answer?

Had another one of those “if I pick it up again right now I’m going to solve it” moments. And can think of 2 options, one of which is more clearly a rhyme than the other.

My plan is to submit the clearer rhyme, but just curious where others are. Not looking for anyone to “drop” a “hint” though. 😀
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

I know one answer that wasn't right!
LesY

Post by LesY »

Al Sisti wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:29 pm I know one answer that wasn't right!
Oh man, I’m sorry to hear that! And even more daunted now.

Hopefully this isn’t a Bilbo Baggins “What have I got in my pocket?” riddle like another recent puzzle I don’t want to talk about (not one of Peter’s - small sample size but he usually provides more than one way/layer to confirm).
LesY

Post by LesY »

Wait! I think I got it! Not a random leap at all.
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

LesY wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:11 am Does anyone know if they got the official answer?
I wasn't told I was wrong, does that count?

(I'd be very surprised if the answer I submitted wasn't the official one--everything does makes sense. Anyway, it sounds like you may have gotten there...)
pgw

Post by pgw »

Laura M wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:50 pm
LesY wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:11 am Does anyone know if they got the official answer?

(I'd be very surprised if the answer I submitted wasn't the official one--everything does makes sense. Anyway, it sounds like you may have gotten there...)
Laura (and several others here) do have it, yes.
LesY

Post by LesY »

Laura M wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:50 pm

Congrats Laura! I got it, too. Rich and textured meta.
BrianMac
Site Admin

Post by BrianMac »

I came to an answer pretty early on, but like Tmart said, it was without a strong click. But after sitting on it for a few days, I don't think there is anywhere else to go with it, so I went ahead and submitted.
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

The grid was fun. Very challenging. I see something that I'm sure works toward the meta, but that's it for me so far. And while the comments here are intriguing, they're not shaking anything loose for me yet. I'll come back to this in a while.
BrianMac
Site Admin

Post by BrianMac »

The rain in Spain stays mainly on the plain.

I submitted "falls" instead of "stays" but it looks like PGW accepted both.

In the write-up on his page, PGW comments on some of the strained fill in this puzzle. That is one of the reasons this was slow to click for me. I kept looking at 1-Across and thinking there must be some theme piece up in that NW corner.

I think it may have been a better click if the instructions to the answer to the meta were "a lyric" instead of " a familiar rhyme." I also thought a clever title that would have pointed to the answer could be "Dropping ints."