"I Spy" - November 19, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
MatthewL

Post by MatthewL »

Oh shore after the Zoom call (and a further friendly nudge from our esteemed Cruise Director when I still couldn't see what was plain to everyone else). I haven't been doing these as long as many on this board, but they definitely seem a lot harder these last few weeks. Will not be submitting, so best of luck to those that solved on their own!
Matthew
RussHiggins

Post by RussHiggins »

Well, I have an answer that certainly fits with the title, but once again a couple of the intermediate steps seem a little weak. I guess I'll let it simmer on the stove a little more.
patpatchica

Post by patpatchica »

On shore. This is my first solo solve. I’m pretty new at doing metas, and the last few weeks were rather discouraging. I’m glad I stuck with it! Even when I’ve been clueless, it’s always interesting and informative to me the read the solution.
Overthinking is my super power. 8-)
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Safely on shore… ah, it looks just the way I remember it. Do they still serve Guinness here?
ricky

Post by ricky »

I already need a nudge... I've been like Robinson Crusoe on these for the past month.
Check out the meta challenge at Lexicon Devil

Latest puzzle: "This Place Looks Familiar," March 7, 2024

Deadline: Tuesday, March 12, 2024, 12 PM EST
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

hunkra wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:44 pm Haven't had a clue since MWAHAHA! Maybe Isaac's Mojitos have lost their mojo. Switching to coffee might work. Count me on the ship.
Or is it that Isaac's Mojitos still have their mojo, the kind you want in a drink, which is not conducive to intellectual pursuits like meta-solving?
Dow Jones

Post by Dow Jones »

Shipwrecked. This is so difficult that even the "star" rating (at the top of the page) has vanished.
JeanneC

Post by JeanneC »

Well, like many others I am facing my third “no aha” week. I am checking under my couch, coffee table, husband…I mean EVERYWHERE for my mojo.

I’ve looked hither and yon,
but my mojo is …gone. 😩😩😩😩😩😩😩!

Sorry for the whine. I feel much better now!!!😊😊😊😊😊😊😊
“I cannot and will not cut my conscience to fit this year’s fashions”. Lillian Hellman
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

I’m marveling at why this puzzle has played so hard. For me as well as so many others here. I got it, but only after a very healthy nudge … uh, more like a shove … or even being lifted by the lapels and lugged directly to the answer. But when finally there, I thought, “Well, that doesn’t seem so crazy. Why wasn’t I seeing it?”
JRS51

Post by JRS51 »

On the ship for now. Sorry I couldn’t join the zoom meeting earlier, sounds like it was a good one! My weak excuse is a lot of distractions lately and not enough time to focus on important things, such as the meta. I resolve to reserve time tomorrow to try to work this one out.
escapeartist

Post by escapeartist »

Hanging out with Isaac once again.

I saw him nudging members of the security team while looking over at me.

I think he's tired of seeing me here for weeks on end.

If I suddenly disappear, blame Isa....
* 2022 WSJ Mug Winner - I bask in its Glory *
Colin

Post by Colin »

TheCatt wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:30 pm On shore with the Zoom nudge. Was nice to see everyone going down the same rabbit holes we had also gone down before the meeting! 10 minutes of just nodding our heads, too.

(no submittal)
OK - I'll ask... How does TheCatt happen to have a delightful drawing of TheDog as an avatar?
I am taking this as a positive sign that the country is re-uniting!
And to celebrate, I will go the ship's bar and ask Isaac to help me find TheScotch and unite it with ThisEnglishman!
One world. One planet. One future.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

ChrisKochmanski wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:02 am I’m marveling at why this puzzle has played so hard. For me as well as so many others here. I got it, but only after a very healthy nudge … uh, more like a shove … or even being lifted by the lapels and lugged directly to the answer. But when finally there, I thought, “Well, that doesn’t seem so crazy. Why wasn’t I seeing it?”
From the perspective of someone still trying to solve this thing, I can say that I am definitely not seeing it. Well and truly on the ship for yet another week.
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
ZooAnimalsOnWheels

Post by ZooAnimalsOnWheels »

I am still at the ship's bar as well. Many ideas and paths that evaporate before they lead anywhere. Maybe with fresh eyes tomorrow...
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

Still with Isaac. Was not ready to throw in the towel last night. About to get on a plane and will have 4 straight hours to chase rabbits. I see a very promising one but so far have not been able to make it work. Bummed about MGWCC delay since I have no access to a printer for the next week. Doubt I can get a week 3 on my phone!!

Stay well

Isaac, another GSM!
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

Got it before takeoff!!!!

Now what will I do for next 4 hours?????
mheberlingx100

Post by mheberlingx100 »

With Issac, drinking my morning coffee.
Bill_Swerski_13

Post by Bill_Swerski_13 »

very very very very very stuck on the ship. This is becoming a theme for me.
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

Ashore, via the Friday night Zoom.
Cynthia
JennyByrd

Post by JennyByrd »

Solved. Now I can start chopping things in preparation for Thanksgiving cooking. At least until the Gaffney puzzle comes out at noon.