"Consider the Alternative" October 6, 2022

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Guy

Post by Guy »

Ah…through a glass darkly..aboard yet
Toby

Post by Toby »

There was something I could not believe was a coincidence and that led me to spend way too much time on a path that actually worked...until it didn't.
(If I did not know that Matt G is really a lovely guy I would suspect some sadism here.) So if you are, as I was, continuing to hit your head against a wall of gibberish, re-think it. Once I got on the path, it was a lot of fun to solve.
EVJ

Post by EVJ »

In the bar with Isaac.
Like others have said, I see things that seem to be “the way” but coming up with gibberish. I’m going to sleep on it and in the morning I’ll sharpen my pencil. And have a stiff cup of coffee!
rjy

Post by rjy »

…but my gibberish seems waaaaay too logical to be gibberish. Another stiff pour, Isaac!
Ray
Magistra

Post by Magistra »

Made it ashore.
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

Goodbye Isaac, my liver can't take it anymore - I've been on the boat for 3 or 4 weeks now.

100% and submitted,
Tom
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Another one where I thought sure I’d see the way home and of course now do not. This small screen stuff is for the birds (and those MUCH younger than I). Can’t see all the clues and all the grid at the same time, I’m going to just take the bye and enjoy my last few days of vacation, not hard to do here:
34C4EF83-CA4B-40A4-A1D4-8BC1F82924C0.jpeg
04B4E39E-9D52-4803-9C74-D8C5049101D3.jpeg
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
femullen

Post by femullen »

The adage holds, and rightly so,
"Pride comes before a fall."
How smug I was a week ago!
This week? No clue at all.

But it's early yet, so I have time. I also have a secret weapon: The Smarter Half is smuggling herself south of the border, so I will have in-person assistance from a livelier mind. On the other hand, we are departing Sunday for our Extra Week of Summer, seven days on a sunny beach next to a tiki bar. The synapses will race between two solutions: one, the answer to the meta, the other containing ethanol.
For nudges, feel free to PM me. I won't have a clue how to help you, but you might shove me ashore.
ship4u

Post by ship4u »

Ashore4us. Exhausted, crawling in the sand, spitting out seawater. Black coffee, please! This one was alternative mental torture and kept me up all night!
Don & Cynthia

We are always happy to get to know other muggles and help in any way! PM's are always welcome. The next best thing to winning a mug is helping a fellow muggle win a mug!
LittleGood

Post by LittleGood »

I declare myself on the beach, though not 100% for me this week.
Onaquest

Post by Onaquest »

I’m half way. I know I’m half way. I can tell I’m half way from the comments here. I’m going to keep going…
ship4u

Post by ship4u »

Onaquest wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:05 am I’m half way. I know I’m half way. I can tell I’m half way from the comments here. I’m going to keep going…
To quote a British nursery rhyme: I'm h-a-pp-y, I'm h-a-pp-y, I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm h-a-pp-y.....

Keep going!
Don & Cynthia

We are always happy to get to know other muggles and help in any way! PM's are always welcome. The next best thing to winning a mug is helping a fellow muggle win a mug!
rjy

Post by rjy »

Gibberish de-gibberized, thanks to a nudge confirming I was in the right rabbit-hole. More gibberish to follow w some much needed tiki drinks on shore. Cheers!
Ray
ship4u

Post by ship4u »

REMINDER: If you would like to be H-A-PP-Y, please join us for the great Muggle Zoom get together today at 4:30 pm Eastern Time! All are invited whether you have solved this week's meta or not. Share your thoughts and rabbit holes and say hello to other muggles! See you there. To join, simply click on the MUGGLE ZOOM ROOM icon at the top of the page.
Don & Cynthia

flaringnostrils

Post by flaringnostrils »

I'm either on shore or I've drowned. Kind of a Schrodinger's cat thing. Guess I'll know for sure Monday.
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

On shore after a nudge to look at things differently (isn't that always the case?). Though, I do have an alternate answer, but it is not as buttoned down as what I now have.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Good Friday morning muggles

A clever and well constructed meta by Matt this week. We have 14 on the ship and 48 on the shore.

If you want a fun and challenging meta, take a shot at this week's MEOW "Rock The Boat" by whimsy (not Lord Peter but Claudia). Find it under Other Metas

And for those tired of banging their heads against the wall or some other alternative, don't forget the 4:30 pm ET Zoom call today.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

Solved
mheberlingx100

Post by mheberlingx100 »

Got an answer, but I think I’ll wait until Sunday to submit. I don’t feel 100% on it, and experience has shown if I don’t feel 100%, my chances of being correct are 0%.
Last edited by mheberlingx100 on Fri Oct 07, 2022 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
woozy

Post by woozy »

Phooey. Got it. It's .... leggy.
So I just plain couldn't get my meta based on "Up the Down Staircase" to work.

My challenge it to constructors is to make a meta where the meta, theme or metanism is "Up the Down Staircase".