"Position Statement" August 19, 2022

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
JPMalone

Post by JPMalone »

First time ashore in a few weeks, really liked this one..
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

Dplass wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 7:06 am I presented metas to my work group at 4pm ET and at 430 we attacked the WSJ...with no solution. These are some of the smartest people I know and we're all hanging out with Isaac now.
Major props to Dplass for recruiting Muggle candidates -- and during a work meeting, too, even better! I actually think this puzzle, though it's not easy, would serve as an excellent introduction to metas.
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
Red jbb

Post by Red jbb »

This is my first solve!
rjy

Post by rjy »

I’m at risk of losing my stool at Isaac’s… sneak away to explore a rabbit-hole, back for another drink at the bar, another rabbit-hole, another drink. Lather, rinse, repeat.

At this point, it’s probably double-vision of rabbit-holes due to being overserved
Ray
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Red jbb wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:53 am This is my first solve!
Way to go! And welcome!

Your first of many - I’m sure you’re hooked now 🙂
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
Meg

Post by Meg »

I’m sooooooo late to the beach. The cabana boy honestly thought maybe a bull shark got me. Too early for alcohol, so a cafe con leche, please kind sir.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Flying_Burrito

Post by Flying_Burrito »

Ashore, despite the rabbit holes as deep as St Andrew's bunkers. It will have to be beer and why not, I will log off work laptop at 4 pm today
Senor Guaca Mole :mrgreen:
boharr

Post by boharr »

Ashore. Or as everybody is saying, AH shore. More coffee, please.....for now.
billkatz

Post by billkatz »

Safely on shore!
Omnibus

Post by Omnibus »

Ashore. Clever.
CallMeShane

Post by CallMeShane »

Friends, Romans, countrymen, I come to you today to confess my ignorance!

Not a smell, not a sniff, not the faintest trace of a Step 1.

I got nothing.
BrennerTJ

Post by BrennerTJ »

Ashore. 🎉🍹🏖
-Tamara
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

Wendy Walker wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:47 am
Dplass wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 7:06 am I presented metas to my work group at 4pm ET and at 430 we attacked the WSJ...with no solution. These are some of the smartest people I know and we're all hanging out with Isaac now.
Major props to Dplass for recruiting Muggle candidates -- and during a work meeting, too, even better! I actually think this puzzle, though it's not easy, would serve as an excellent introduction to metas.
Happily, this "solved" a few problems at once: it let me work on the meta before 6pm on a Thursday, and it fulfilled my manager's wish to have a "fun" meeting every other Thursday at 4PM ET. Recruiting new muggles was just gravy.

(Sadly, since I wasn't able to solve the meta it left some egg on my face, especially after having shown how smert I was for solving 4 out of the last 6...)
femullen

Post by femullen »

Re my previous whimsical post, a colleague informs me, with scholarly references, that haiku lines do not rhyme--not that they should not, implying some level of choice, but that they do not as a matter of canonical form.

As a schoolboy, I was required at several points to compose "poetry," and I made it rhyme, because poetry does. My teachers often encouraged me to slip this constraint and explore poetic forms that neither rhymed nor--gads!--had discernable metre. The emphasis, rather, seemed to be on producing something evocative. Does Dr. Seuss not evoke?

Today I take the instruction of these by-gone teachers to heart and freely slip constraints:

Should haiku not rhyme?
Were I ashore at this time,
I'd have gin with lime.

But at sea with you,
And having naught else to do,
Shan't we rhyme haiku?
For nudges, feel free to PM me. I won't have a clue how to help you, but you might shove me ashore.
ship4u

Post by ship4u »

After staring at this all morning and having about 6 cups of coffee, it is finally getting interesting. The only problem is that we can't get it to work yet. So, it may be a candidate for the rabbit hole of the week.
Don & Cynthia

We are always happy to get to know other muggles and help in any way! PM's are always welcome. The next best thing to winning a mug is helping a fellow muggle win a mug!
Barney

Post by Barney »

Usual barstool where I expect I’ll be glued for the duration. 😐
ship4u

Post by ship4u »

ashore4us!!!! I knew we were on to it, but it took a while to see the final piece. It is such a wonderful feeling when frustration turns to the bliss of satisfaction. It must be noon somewhere, we'll please have a .........
Don & Cynthia

We are always happy to get to know other muggles and help in any way! PM's are always welcome. The next best thing to winning a mug is helping a fellow muggle win a mug!
Toby

Post by Toby »

After nothing but dead ends last night, I woke up this morning and saw what to do. Hours too early for a cocktail but coffee and a pastry can be celebratory also. (I’m visiting friends in Berkeley California. While in general I prefer New York, where I live, they do have great bakeries here — and great weather)
hoover

Post by hoover »

I have to say, I hopped on here yesterday and had the chance to be #2 after Al Sisti, but alas, I didn't have any clue (heh heh) as to what the meta mechanism might be. Still on the boat with Isaac. He's getting a little slower at the shuffleboard.
kawaja

Post by kawaja »

Crickets. Only crickets.