Make ‘em Irish

A weekly meta crossword created by members of the forum. Difficulty levels will vary. Hints are usually available starting Wednesday, and solutions are posted on Sunday.
auee89

Post by auee89 »

Enjoying the spoilers this morning!
Kevin
cbarbee002

Post by cbarbee002 »

Off the 62A after a late-night epiphany re application of the clue. A real "smack my head" moment. I won't lie - - I did look at the nudges this morning.
Very clever meta Jay!
JeanneC

Post by JeanneC »

Off the couch! Clever and a fun solve!
“I cannot and will not cut my conscience to fit this year’s fashions”. Lillian Hellman
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Because it required a shove, this will be me
little-boy-taking-nap-couch-isolated-white-background-40687440.jpg
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Hidden in 3D

Post by Hidden in 3D »

Just confirmed that I am off the couch on Crosshare. Too much going on to get around to the puzzle until this morning, but I intentionally didn't log onto the forum so I wouldn't look at the Spoilers. I read them a few moments ago - WOW! They were almost as much fun as this brilliant MMM! Thank you so much, Jay!
Sara
KayW

Post by KayW »

I highly recommend reading the spoilers, even - or especially - if you've already solved. Kudos again, Jay! :mrgreen:
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
mindle

Post by mindle »

The nudges are so funny!!
I really enjoyed the puzzle!
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Oh. I get the
now. 🙂
Cinny

Post by Cinny »

Late start on metas this week. This was a great one. Off the couch. Liked the nudges almost as much as the puzzle!!
Cindy Heisler
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

OK, given the day and the puzzle this just seemed like a natural thing to post. I cracked up the first time I ever saw it and again today.

NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
SJMcK

Post by SJMcK »

Bird Lives wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 5:51 am Day 1 of St. Patrick's Week brought out 45 solvers, many with kind words. Keep those cards and letters coming, folks. (I think the list below has everyone. but if I've left you out, let me know.)
Solvers 3-15.jpg
There were also a couple of great suggestions for theme entries I might have used ifonly I'd been clever enough to think of them and find a place for them in the grid. Maybe next year.
I’m listed twice. I solved on Crosshare and PMed you that I couldn’t submit a meta solution there, then went back to Crosshare to submit after you had fixed it. You must have me listed for both the PM and the Crosshare submission

Steven McKinney
minimuggle

Post by minimuggle »

Fantastic puzzle. Thanks for the St Pats entertainment. I am finally off the couch with my green beer
ArchaicMage

Post by ArchaicMage »

I think I got it! Couldn't find it on Crosshare (which I just learned about...) so not sure how to confirm...
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

ArchaicMage wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 1:11 pm I think I got it! Couldn't find it on Crosshare (which I just learned about...) so not sure how to confirm...
You can PM the constructor, @Bird Lives, with your meta solution.
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

I’m late to the party this week…pretty sure I got it. Thanks, Jay!
Cynthia
MaineMarge

Post by MaineMarge »

Finally off the couch, after waiting since yesterday for Jay to confirm. Had to give him a PM nudge, starting with, “Earth to Jay- can you read me?..” he must have had the luck of the Irish and beamed up over on MGWCC.
Meanwhile I’ve spent my couch time productively while waiting, so I’ll be beaming up there too, couch and all.
39BE7664-4965-47A6-8EAF-7EDEE7F4FBEA.jpeg
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

The final tally: 72 solvers.
Solvers 3-20.jpg
The answer was BLARNEY. The puzzle was brought to you by the letter O.

The key was 66 Across. The clue was “A year in Spain or what must be added to seven entries in the grid as hinded at by their clues.” Solvers saw that what had to be added was not “Año” but “AnO.” The clues for the seven entries were the seven clues that started with the letter O.

You had to make seven entries Irish by starting them with an O. Step Two: find a clue that fits the newly formed word. So 5 Across BAMA becomes OBAMA, and the clue for 19 Across is “US President.” The first letters of the answers to those clues spell BLARNEY.
Irish solution 700.jpg
Only a few people contributed alternate O combinations. There was Mary J. BLIGE, who becomes a synonym for BIND (which in an earlier version of the puzzle was the B-word). PINION could have been the E as in EDITORIAL. Thanks DrTom.
My favorite came from Jay Miller, known in these parts as Oldjudge, who suggested:

Clue 1: Oldjudge and Bird Lives—-Jays
Clue 2: 1960’s band—-Beatles
We could have replaced the B combo.

Alas, the Love Train never left the station.

Thanks to everyone.
Jay