"I Spy" - November 19, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
ajk

Post by ajk »

Wendy Walker wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:21 am All who want to join one of our Zoom Group Solves, please tune in at 8 p.m. EST this evening! Just click the "Muggle Zoom Room" icon at the top of this page. ALL are welcome! We really do have fun. And c'mon, what else are you doing on the Friday before Thanksgiving, anyway -- you don't even have the Week 3 MGWCC to work on yet!
Will be about to board a plane, but will be with you in spirit (and in current level of success with the meta). :)

I guess I might as well state explicitly that I am enjoying Isaac's hospitality once again, though perhaps it's getting to the point where I should just be assumed on the ship unless otherwise stated. :lol:
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Good Friday morning muggles

So far we have 12 on the ship and 20 on the shore so it is solvable

Matt believed that it was easy-medium so we must be overthinking it (a muggle overthink a meta!! I am shocked! Shocked!)

And Wendy is organizing a Zoom group think at 8 pm EST tonight (see post 40 and a picture of the cute redhead a couple of years ago)
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
mattythewsjpuzzler

Post by mattythewsjpuzzler »

I am still w Isaac. The last month of meta's (WSJ, Gaffney, MMMM) have really made me rethink the whole endeavor. And I have done HUNDREDS of these! But still I persist.
Ergcat

Post by Ergcat »

I’m on the ship with Isaac. At this point I can’t even see a rabbit hole to pursue. Aaauurgghh!
EVJ

Post by EVJ »

I’m at sea and getting very discouraged.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

I'm at sea, though I think I spy what I am supposed to do I cannot do it for everything I should. If it is NOT what I am supposed to do it is a big dang coincidence. I'll struggle on though and try to solve just so I can prove I can. However, I'll reserve my place for a last minute nudge....
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
hoover

Post by hoover »

4D is taunting me.
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

I will be at a dinner reservation at 7, but please PM me if I can be of any assistance.
dpl11

Post by dpl11 »

Ashore.
femullen

Post by femullen »

My Merry Month at Sea

Oh, never mind the rags of sail,
The leaping deck, the shrieking gale,
The stinging rain, the blinding snow,
The weary, sleepless watch below.

I have it easy, don't you see:
A beer to weather, wine alee,
And friendly Isaac fills my glass
Whene'er the meta kicks my shin.

(At sea, Cruise Director Bob)
For nudges, feel free to PM me. I won't have a clue how to help you, but you might shove me ashore.
billkatz

Post by billkatz »

I got a push and made it to shore.
pjc

Post by pjc »

Easy-medium? Yikes!

Still firmly on the ship.
KscX

Post by KscX »

I’m ashore. This seems like a case of lost confidence, fellow solvers! You can do it.
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

KscX wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:35 pm I’m ashore. This seems like a case of lost confidence, fellow solvers! You can do it.
Nope, I'm as cocky as ever about my mad meta skilz ... though I have logged about 4 hours of precious time staring at this puzzle after filling the grid easily. Just. Don't. Spy. It.
The other Wendy. :roll:
Scott M

Post by Scott M »

This is getting old...
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
Mark Twain
GTIJohnny

Post by GTIJohnny »

On the ship and probably overthinking this one. Time to put it aside.
minimuggle

Post by minimuggle »

I've been out to sea so long I think I'm gonna need to find a bigger ship...No luck yet on this one. I'll be hanging out with Isaac until last call.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

On the ship as well. Very frustrating, but not giving up!
Heidi
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

On the ship....have found only rabbit holes.
Cynthia
tiagomeunome

Post by tiagomeunome »

I haven't been doing these puzzles for very long and got super demoralized after last few weeks.. hoping to get on shore. Solved grid and mulling it over