"Double Trouble" - December 3, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
mntlblok

Post by mntlblok »

woozy wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:29 am Tangent:

So I'm curious about where most people learn of Burma Shave signs. What percentage was Mad Magazine and what percent was Warner Brothers cartoons? And given that no-one could possibly of learned of them from actual Burma Shave signs, what other sources are there.
Saw them in the late 50's driving down "to the country" to maternal grandparents' farm - Meade County, KY.
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

Wendy Walker wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:31 am

So I'm curious about where most people learn of Burma Shave signs. What percentage was Mad Magazine and what percent was Warner Brothers cartoons? And given that no-one could possibly of learned of them from actual Burma Shave signs, what other sources are there.
My Dad.
Those of us who are old enough to be Wendy's dad (but alas are not) may have traveled the pre-Interstate highways and seen the signs IRL.

The IMDB page for "Bonnie and Clyde" notes: "During the car chase following one of the bank robberies, there is a brief glimpse of a few Burma Shave signs. These were famous along roads in much of the United States until the early 1960's." True, it was brief, but at the Harvard Square Theater in 1967, when the audience, nearly all born before 1950, glimpsed it, they (i.e., we) broke into nostalgic applause.
Jay
Inca

Post by Inca »

Adajeo wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:02 pm Performing pirouettes in the sand. The first part leap onto the stage, the second part had a bit of stage fright, and needed some coaxing.
When the show started everything came into unison. This meta is a 100%, satisfying, fun click.
..and suddenly it all made sense
Inca

Post by Inca »

MWA HA HA
Muggling While "AHA" Hides

Just kidding; solved a while back
flyingMoose

Post by flyingMoose »

Count me as one who has actually seen them. Traveling to Grandparents pre-Interstates, they would not have been difficult to find on state highways.
Powers2020

Post by Powers2020 »

Finally back on the beach after a month on the boat! Great meta this week!
boharr

Post by boharr »

flyingMoose wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:46 pm

Count me as one who has actually seen them. Traveling to Grandparents pre-Interstates, they would not have been difficult to find on state highways.
I too have seen them on state roads in the 1950's.
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

woozy wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:49 am
boharr wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:38 am
HunterX wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:35 am Same here.

Wendy's dad.

No... wait. It was my dad.
Dads know.
Gosh.... People get a lot out of these "dad" things, don't they? Maybe I should have had one.
Four out of five doctors recommend it!
rosiegirl

Post by rosiegirl »

On shore! Finally!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

daoadalgisa wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:20 pm This is my first xword contest puzzle. I've solved the grid but don't know how to get the meta. Can someone dm me and help?
First thing - CONGRATULATIONS - you are our 1100th muggle.

Send me a PM with what you have done so far and I will be more than happy to assist - especially since the Patriots game is not until tomorrow night
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

For those of you who are not septuagenarians, they were common before the interstates in the 50's and 60's. They kept us from asking "are we there yet?"
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
DianeA

Post by DianeA »

I'm on shore after too many weeks at the bar with Isaac. So glad to feel the sand between my toes.
Ready for my Harvey Wallbanger when the cabana boy comes by.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Good afternoon muggles. A bit of delay because I have been reading all the Burma Shave signs with good memories

First a warm welcome to daodalgisa who is our 1100th muggle. Always great to have more muggles.

We have 18 on the ship enjoying Isaac's hot mulled cider (with just a touch of rum) and 176 on the shore.

Since yesterday the ship's bar has swelled with as he has the games on the big screens.

Hammertime
patpatchica
Pilsbandy
streroto
daodalgisa

And on the crowded shore are

ajk
ReB
markhr
TheDeej
Schmeel
SusieG
jimbo1
mindle
bigtuna
M and M
relic (and Maggie)
diplomatt
lbray
Richard
escapeartist
mrmd
ADS
Cbaudhein
Secret Adversary
Joey Avocado
Burak
b4alltime
rosiegirl
Cap'n Rick
Powers2020
Inca
Littlegreycells
Diane

Good luck to all winning the mug. Long odds this week.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
OGuyDave

Post by OGuyDave »

Done Thursday PM; and done at 4AM Friday morning when it suddenly dawned on me. Yeah, makes perfect sense now, doesn't it?

Meant to mention this last week: Here's how I like mine:
--
--
pumpkinpiewhippedcream.png
JoeS

Post by JoeS »

If anyone is counting, I, too, remember Burma Shave signs well. Just another diversion along with license plate poker, "I Spy", and many more.
JJD

Post by JJD »

Ashore after a final AHA moment.
Susan Goldberg

Post by Susan Goldberg »

JJD wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 2:26 pm Ashore after a final AHA moment.
I’ve got to be overthinking this. I’ve gone insane.
Barney

Post by Barney »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:58 pm Good afternoon muggles. A bit of delay because I have been reading all the Burma Shave signs with good memories

First a warm welcome to daodalgisa who is our 1100th muggle. Always great to have more muggles.

We have 18 on the ship enjoying Isaac's hot mulled cider (with just a touch of rum) and 176 on the shore.

Since yesterday the ship's bar has swelled with as he has the games on the big screens.

Good luck to all winning the mug. Long odds this week.
On the plus side, the line at the bar is short.
turbotron

Post by turbotron »

After a helpful nudge, I'm happily ashore for the second week in a row! Too many beers last night, so I'll have a kombucha. :)
TeamDoubleTow

Post by TeamDoubleTow »

Hidden in 3D wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:23 am @TeamDoubleTow, please introduce that sweet dog pictured in your new avatar!
Aw! That's our loveable hound Maya. We have had her for over 8 years! That's who I was filming when we figured out the meta this week, so I figured she deserved to be part of the team here!
Last edited by TeamDoubleTow on Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Team DoubleTow=Ali who posts here, Alex & Maya the hound(with occasional assistance from son)