"Following Directions" - May 14, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

A tolerant pal of mine to whom I was griping about the difficulty of the puzzle attended a fellowship meeting this morning. The topic: "Following Directions." He couldn't wait to text me!
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
Orsys

Post by Orsys »

A nudge would be so welcomed right now.
Patty

Post by Patty »

Oooh, doesn't seem to be happening for me this week. Think I will continue to enjoy Isaac's company for the evening!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Orsys wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 12:29 pm A nudge would be so welcomed right now.
Best way to get a nudge is to PM a known solver, much clearer and keeps EVERYONE from sending. I’ll send you one anytime but it is best to make a specific rather than generic request.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

SReh26 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 12:07 pm I made it to shore yesterday - pulled in by a tow barge actually. But Im on!
You are between Doug M and kdubs
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Scraps

Post by Scraps »

Taxes are done, albeit with a nudge. They have become so complicated that I'm no longer confident I can accurately follow the directions in the TurboTax or HRBlock apps. Hired a pro.

While we're on the subject of nudges and my inability to follow directions, the meta remains unsolved. I would be grateful for a nudge. I'm at the gibberish stage several muggles referred to.

Regrettably, since I hired a tax pro and paid off the government, I cannot afford to hire a muggle pro. Must rely on the kindness of strangers.

Update: Muggles aren't strangers. They're just kind. Ashore with a nudge.
Last edited by Scraps on Sun May 16, 2021 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mitchel674

Post by mitchel674 »

I've stared at the completed grid long enough. I'll take a nudge at this point if anyone can point me in the right direction. :roll:
anaerobe

Post by anaerobe »

Made it. Thanks for the help. I'll join the rest of you for a drink, but I'll have to get rid of some sea water first.

And, I'll try to do a better job of informing our director of my status in the future. Don't want him to send out a search party unless it's absolutely necessary.
m&ms

Post by m&ms »

Finally ashore—a beautifully constructed puzzle!
auee89

Post by auee89 »

Ashore! Thanks again Boharr for the confirmations. Here is a shot from the Grand Canyon where we were last Sunday. Pretty awesome!

Kevin
Ergcat

Post by Ergcat »

Ugh! Sunday afternoon and still onboard.... (with my little granddaughter sound asleep napping on my lap)... I keep staring at the puzzle but all I see are bunnies everywhere!
Joe

Post by Joe »

After a collab with EVJ, I've made it to shore!
Happy to give nudges. If you notice I've solved, please tell me about avenues you've explored so I can nudge you in the right direction and not off a cliff.
mheberlingx100

Post by mheberlingx100 »

Worked through with sister-in-law, and am finally on shore.
FKelly

Post by FKelly »

Well, if I could find the directions I could probably follow them. They seem to be very well disguised.
Is Shenk gloating in 36-A? A bit of in-your-face trash talk.
I could use nudge.
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

auee89 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 2:30 pm Ashore! Thanks again Boharr for the confirmations. Here is a shot from the Grand Canyon where we were last Sunday. Pretty awesome!

Great photo!

If you go back in about 5 weeks and take another, be sure to look for me. I'll be floating through on a six day trip.

The trip will include Thursday through Sunday. So yes, I'll miss submitting for the mug. (Not that I've won one yet after so many submissions. I'd submit to the odds and give up. But, like what would happen if the senior Senator from Utah were to captain an undersea vehicle, odds as that might be, I can't Sub Mit.) But I can download the pdf upon return and time myself, to satisfy my egometamaniacal pride.
auee89

Post by auee89 »

HunterX wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 3:22 pm
auee89 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 2:30 pm Ashore! Thanks again Boharr for the confirmations. Here is a shot from the Grand Canyon where we were last Sunday. Pretty awesome!

Great photo!

If you go back in about 5 weeks and take another, be sure to look for me. I'll be floating through on a six day trip.

The trip will include Thursday through Sunday. So yes, I'll miss submitting for the mug. (Not that I've won one yet after so many submissions. I'd submit to the odds and give up. But, like what would happen if the senior Senator from Utah were to captain an undersea vehicle, odds as that might be, I can't Sub Mit.) But I can download the pdf upon return and time myself, to satisfy my egometamaniacal pride.
Enjoy the trip! We have friends that did that same trek in 2019. We hope to get back in the next year or so and hike rim to rim to rim, staying overnight at the bottom. Not the best photo, but I can almost see you now!

Kevin
FKelly

Post by FKelly »

FKelly wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 3:17 pm Well, if I could find the directions I could probably follow them. They seem to be very well disguised.
Is Shenk gloating in 36-A? A bit of in-your-face trash talk.
I could use nudge.
On shore. Thanks Boharr.
michaelm

Post by michaelm »

On Shore in time for last call thanks to nice nudge.
This was a reminder that our meta overlords can fully reassert authority at any time they choose.
Scott M

Post by Scott M »

Our weekend guests, who arrived at 3:59 Thursday, have departed. I managed to sneak completion of the grid in to the weekend, but my cursory glances at the meta have yielded only gibberish so far. I'll try to make sense of things this afternoon and evening, but we kept Isaac quite active all weekend, and I'm nowhere close to my A-game.

On a separate subject, is anyone else having the issue of constantly getting logged out of the site? This just started happening a couple weeks ago. At times I'll log in, read one page, and be logged out when I navigate to the next page.
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
Mark Twain
Jeremy Smith

Post by Jeremy Smith »

Hopelessly LAS at this point!