"Scale Back" - April 29, 2022

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
KayW

Post by KayW »

Jace54 wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 10:28 am I also got detoured by “triad”, but I do not see that anybody else has commented on Taps at 1A. That song only uses three notes, which I learned from Google is the C Major triad (notes C, E, and G). Took me a long time to give up on that path.
That's exactly the wrong turn I took at first. I finally asked someone who had already solved to :thumbsdown: it for me so I could move on to something else.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
EmilyW

Post by EmilyW »

I'm the opposite of most of the commenters in that REACHES was the first one I saw, and I doubt I would have come up with DOCENT without the help of the Zoom. I don't think I have ever used that word outside of a crossword.
femullen

Post by femullen »

I feel like the schoolboy who didn't do his weekend homework.

I ran out of time, so, alas,
The meta, I gave it a pass.
You may think it strange
Spending time at the range
And flogging the river for bass.

I have a braggable smallmouth to share as soon as I figure out how to insert photos.

And no, I had no clue on the meta. Worked on it Friday. Wouldn't have made a difference if I'd spent all day Saturday and Sunday as well.
Last edited by femullen on Mon May 02, 2022 12:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
For nudges, feel free to PM me. I won't have a clue how to help you, but you might shove me ashore.
Ben B

Post by Ben B »

Like Wendy and Marge (honored to be in their company) I looked closely at the clues and spent almost a hour thinking how could “key signature” not be significant? Those clues were so oddly worded. Thankfully DoCent and TiAra ushered me to the beach.
boharr

Post by boharr »

MaineMarge wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 9:00 am No wonder our non-musical Muggles had hard times with this.
Actually, I think my woeful lack of music knowledge (remember my offer to NOT sing if I got a beer) helped me on this one. I was oblivious to all the rabbit holes that others found. I did know DO RE MI, but I had to look up Cantata.
woozy

Post by woozy »

Way back a columnist for the San Francisco Chronicle (Steve Rubenstein) did a column about whether it was fair to sucker punch someone in Scrabble. He had played ACHE. His girlfriend had added a D to make ACHED. And he said, as he placed down his R and E tiles, "If you ache for a second time, you re-ache, and if it happened in the past you re-ached". His girlfriend protested and asked him to take them back and he asked if she challenged. So she did as she was certain re-ache can not be acceptable. Later she accused him of cheating and he wasn't sure whether he had or hadn't.
Stinky Pinkies!

My Entry to the May 2024 CrossHare Midi Contest

Not a meta, but, yeesh!, that was tough to create.
boharr

Post by boharr »

EVJ wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 11:14 am I kept thinking “GUIDE?” Really?!? I should know by now that when something just doesn’t ring true it’s a huge clue.
Me too. As I filled in the grid I started to write "docent" only it didn't fit. So, yes, someone else to listen to when something doesn't ring true -- yourself.
Inca

Post by Inca »

boharr wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 12:31 pm
EVJ wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 11:14 am I kept thinking “GUIDE?” Really?!? I should know by now that when something just doesn’t ring true it’s a huge clue.
Me too. As I filled in the grid I started to write "docent" only it didn't fit. So, yes, someone else to listen to when something doesn't ring true -- yourself.
Right. And since when is a "bejeweled topper" in a crossword a CROWN and not a TIARA? Having said that, although I thought DOCENT and TIARA when I filled the grid, it took me a loong time to put it all together, for some reason.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

boharr wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 12:27 pm
MaineMarge wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 9:00 am No wonder our non-musical Muggles had hard times with this.
Actually, I think my woeful lack of music knowledge (remember my offer to NOT sing if I got a beer) helped me on this one. I was oblivious to all the rabbit holes that others found. I did know DO RE MI, but I had to look up Cantata.
Now we know how to make Bob pay for his "free" beer... YAY!
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

So how many tried playing the 'notes' in the theme answers and listening for some familiar tune? It's got to be there, right? Even ends on a C. Or maybe three at a time. Or try to fit it in with Taps somehow - a music clue at 1 across has to be relevant to the theme, right? So many rabbit holes.

My first attempt with do-re-mi was adding them to the end of the theme entries because 'guide dog' seemed so perfect. It was a day later before I thought of using them to start new answers.
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
iggystan

Post by iggystan »

I was definitely thinking chords at first because of TRIAD, but that obviously didn’t work with all of the starred clues. Maybe it was in my brain lying dormant, but I thought both DOCENT and TIARA first for those two clues, and yesterday when I was looking at it again, CENT jumped out and I was off to the races. FA-THERED was my last find; THERED was definitely an odd fill and I should have mentally “asterisk”ed that one.
billkatz

Post by billkatz »

woozy wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 12:29 pm Way back a columnist for the San Francisco Chronicle (Steve Rubenstein) did a column about whether it was fair to sucker punch someone in Scrabble. He had played ACHE. His girlfriend had added a D to make ACHED. And he said, as he placed down his R and E tiles, "If you ache for a second time, you re-ache, and if it happened in the past you re-ached". His girlfriend protested and asked him to take them back and he asked if she challenged. So she did as she was certain re-ache can not be acceptable. Later she accused him of cheating and he wasn't sure whether he had or hadn't.
I used to love Steve Rubinstein's columns - back when I got a paper in the paper form...
woozy

Post by woozy »

billkatz wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 2:17 pm
woozy wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 12:29 pm Way back a columnist for the San Francisco Chronicle (Steve Rubenstein) did a column about whether it was fair to sucker punch someone in Scrabble. He had played ACHE. His girlfriend had added a D to make ACHED. And he said, as he placed down his R and E tiles, "If you ache for a second time, you re-ache, and if it happened in the past you re-ached". His girlfriend protested and asked him to take them back and he asked if she challenged. So she did as she was certain re-ache can not be acceptable. Later she accused him of cheating and he wasn't sure whether he had or hadn't.
I used to love Steve Rubinstein's columns - back when I got a paper in the paper form...
Whatever happened to him--- I ask rhetorically knowing full well I can wiki the information....
Stinky Pinkies!

My Entry to the May 2024 CrossHare Midi Contest

Not a meta, but, yeesh!, that was tough to create.
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

Many of those same rabbit holes but unfortunately I never saw the DO RE MI, even though I was rather surprised by CROWN instead of TIARA.

One of my meta how-to hints revolves around the word BACK when it appears in a title--think backwards. So I tried going backwards 8 letters (a scale) from the first letter of the *answers. Of course, that was gibberish. Tried going back from the first ABCDEFG in each *answer--again gibberish. Then I thought--try going forward 8 letters from the last letter of the *answers. I did come up with ARIA ACE, which is a brand of flamenco guitar but that just didn't seem very elegant.

Here's hoping my luck/skill turns soon!
escapeartist

Post by escapeartist »

LadyBird wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 2:28 pm
One of my meta how-to hints revolves around the word BACK when it appears in a title--think backwards. So I tried going backwards 8 letters (a scale) from the first letter of the *answers. Of course, that was gibberish. Tried going back from the first ABCDEFG in each *answer--again gibberish. Then I thought--try going forward 8 letters from the last letter of the *answers. I did come up with ARIA ACE, which is a brand of flamenco guitar but that just didn't seem very elegant.
My first try with the scale used OD, ER, IM, AF, etc.. and got nowhere
* 2022 WSJ Mug Winner - I bask in its Glory *
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

Some of my patients at the wildlife hospital that I volunteer at--Great Horned Owlets.

And what will be their dinner. I joked with the staff that they should put one of these in the freezer section at the grocery. 8-)
20220425_105258.jpg
20220404_120902.jpg
drbockel2

Post by drbockel2 »

I drowned.
Richard

Post by Richard »

When I saw 'Museum Worker" I thought Docent but only 5 letters. When I saw "Bejeweled Topper" I tried to put in Tiara. After completing the gird, looked at the title and was off to find the rest. I had it as Do Ra Mi Fa So Thought it had to be Solace but could not find the LACE.

Very good meta imho,
PhantomPhan

Post by PhantomPhan »

Did I miss the stats post, or is that still coming?
...Remember there are worse things than a shattered chandelier...

If you see I'm ashore and need a nudge, feel free to message me.
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

PhantomPhan wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 9:36 am Did I miss the stats post, or is that still coming?
MikeMillerWSJ posts